Your Book Activity - August 2015

frankie

I'm reading Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw. Not far in but good so far.

I hope you enjoy this :)!.

I've been away from this site for a long time.  I have recently got my reading mojo back and have been lurking on here to keep my motivation up.  I get so many ideas on here to add to my TBR, (which doesn't really need adding to!).

I'm currently three quarters of the way through The Supernatural Enhancements.  Still not quite sure what to make of it.  Has anybody else read it?

Welcome back! I hope you find some nice books :). I haven't heard of this book, who wrote it?

I started reading my first ever Agatha Christie novel on Saturday (Sad Cyprus). 

With the exception of Poirot, all the men are jolly useless.

I hope you enjoy it. 

I'm halfway through it and still enjoying it, although sometimes my eyes glaze over when an author goes into detail about battle tactics. I guess war is really not my thing. :giggle2:

I can understand this, it's not my thing either :giggle2:

Today in the post I got The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt, sent to me by the lovely Janet who just happened to see my add it to my Goodreads wishlist right before she took it to the charity shop! I'm delighted, it looks awesome :D

I hope you enjoy it :)!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Awakening of Miss Prim this evening.  Haven't made up my mind about it yet … I did love reading it, but as I ponder it, I'm not sure about the message of it.  I'll mull it over for a while … 

Not sure what I'll read next, maybe Darkmere by Helen Maslin :)

I know exactly what you mean about the message of The Awakening of Miss Prim .. I did still love it though.

Started on Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada .. already gripped!! :) 

I gave up on The Redemption of Althalus. Too much telling and not showing, too many characters that were cute in the beginning became annoying with the constant silly bantering back and forth, and too many plot holes. Oh, well.

I'm going to try the difficult The Ambassadors by Henry James. Wish me luck! :P

Actually, changed my mind. I'm going with What Maisie Knew instead of The Ambassadors. It's shorter and I find the theme more intriguing.

Edited by alicedrinkwater

I gave up on The Redemption of Althalus. Too much telling and not showing, too many characters that were cute in the beginning became annoying with the constant silly bantering back and forth, and too many plot holes. Oh, well.

I'm going to try the difficult The Ambassadors by Henry James. Wish me luck! :P

Actually, changed my mind. I'm going with What Maisie Knew instead of The Ambassadors. It's shorter and I find the theme more intriguing.

Very wise move :D All the same .. good luck!! :D 

Started Darkmere by Helen Maslin today.  Did NOT want to put it down at the end of my lunch break!  Only just got home from work, so no time left this evening for reading, so will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon before I can pick it up again :irked:

Finished The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero last night.  I had a bit of an up and down relationship with it.  Loved some parts and others were totally confusing.  Think it would make a better tv show than a book.

Now moving on to The Year of the Fat Knight by Antony Sher.  I read his Year of the King and loved it, so I've got high hopes!

Edited by Fruska

Very wise move :D All the same .. good luck!! :D 

Actually, I'm surprised. I'm almost half way through, and it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. It's a disturbing read, and a book I do have to concentrate on, but it is a good read. Maisie is a tragic character. My heart breaks for her. The saddest part is she doesn't know how awful her childhood is.

I gave up on The Redemption of Althalus. Too much telling and not showing, too many characters that were cute in the beginning became annoying with the constant silly bantering back and forth, and too many plot holes. Oh, well

Not surprised - dreadful book!

I've just finished Blindsight.  Best SF novel I've read in, well, possibly forever.  Reviewed it here. :smile:

I finished The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory and will begin book 4 in the series, The Kingmaker's Daughter.  I have also started Nagasaki: Life After Nuclear War by Susan Southard, ahead of the anniversary.  Since it is also the read a thon, I will take on a Raymond Carver short story collection as well. :readingtwo:

Edited by Anna Begins

Actually, I'm surprised. I'm almost half way through, and it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. It's a disturbing read, and a book I do have to concentrate on, but it is a good read. Maisie is a tragic character. My heart breaks for her. The saddest part is she doesn't know how awful her childhood is.

Although I do like What Maisie Knew, I abandoned it for now, as my mind is too preoccupied with other things to fully focus on it, and it needs my full attention.

Not surprised - dreadful book!

It really was! Sometimes I like really bad books, but they have to at least keep me entertained. This one didn't.

I finished The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory and will begin book 4 in the series, The Kingmaker's Daughter.  I

I will be getting to some more Philippa Gregory soon!

My next read (which I will finish, dammit!) is The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey, a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast. It's the perfect read for my current love life. :giggle2:

I finished Darkmere yesterday afternoon - I basically read it in two sessions, I really did not want to put it down.  Finally decided to read The Mangle Street Murders by M. R. C. Kasasian today, and I basically read it in two sessions, I really did not want to put it down. :lol:

I've started to read Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 1: Mistborn (also known as The Final Empire in the UK). After reading a lot of short children's books I felt in the mood for a long, epic, adult story. I've been meaning to read this series for quite some time now, and the boxset was still nicely in the plastic. I've finally opened it up and am now on page 30 of this 657 page long book. I'm enjoying it a lot so far :).

I finished The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt a couple of hours ago - I had a couple of issues with it but they mostly relate to wanting more! Very unusual and immersive read.

No idea what's up next, but I gotta choose carefully because my mojo is touchy!

I finished What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver and picked up another of his short story collections, Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? which includes my favorite short story of his, What's in Alaska? 

I've actually got quite a bit of reading done in the last few weeks.

by Jennifer Chiaverini

The Master Quilter

The Quilters Circle

Currently reading ... The Quilters Legacy

by Jan Karon

Some Place Safe with Someone Good

Currently reading...At Home in Holly Springs

by Jane Kirkpatrick

A Light In the Wilderness

Currently reading The Cry by Helen Fitzgerald and it is SUPERB. Much much prefer it to The Exit, which was great but I didn't completely love. She's a fantastic writer. Might jump straight into The Donor after this one.

I started and finished The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson and now I'm wondering what to read next... Will probably pick up The Other Typist again, if I can remember what I read of it last night in bed. I'm hoping to stick with it, and I'm hoping to really like it. 

Finished reading Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig.  A wonderful book.

Started reading 1356 by Bernard Cornwell.  Love a good historical adventure!

Still reading Year of the Fat Knight by Antony Sher.  Saw the plays and it's interesting to learn how they were put together.