Your Book Activity - August 2015

frankie

Well, this is no good! I can't choose a fiction book to read. I looked at all my Kindle books and didn't fancy any of them (bear in mind, I must have nearly 300). I turned to the book jar, and it's given me I, Claudius. :thud:

Not feeling the book? It's supposed to be pretty good!  :empathy:

Now starting The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

I have seen and registered this post! :giggle2: I hope you will enjoy it to infinity! :)

I have about 50 pages left of The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman. I'm going to miss the characters when it's over :( 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen and registered this post! :giggle2: I hope you will enjoy it to infinity! :)

I'm enjoying it very much at the moment (about a quarter of the way in). I may have a couple of hours child free time tomorrow and the forecast is good so I may finish it in the garden.. if the weeds don't get me first! :D

Not feeling the book? It's supposed to be pretty good!  :empathy:

Yeah, I might just make a start on it and see if it grabs me. I've read the first paragraph of about 4 books and I just can't get into any of them. :thud: I think it's because I just have too much choice or something!

Finished Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge. It was a bit convoluted and I got lost a couple of times, but it's a fantastic book. Definitely gonna read another one by her soon, but might put something else in the middle first because she writes fantasy and I'm not sure my brain can handle two fantasies in a row.

I am sort of in the opposite case of BB- everything I am reading or read is good.  I just added Lauren Oliver's Delirium to my mix (thanks Gaia!).  It's a trilogy.  So that makes two series going at the same time and I am still reading Devil in a White City as well  :readingtwo:   

I'm enjoying it very much at the moment (about a quarter of the way in). I may have a couple of hours child free time tomorrow and the forecast is good so I may finish it in the garden.. if the weeds don't get me first! :D

The weeds might as well get you now, now that you won't be finishing the book... :giggle2: 

Yeah, I might just make a start on it and see if it grabs me. I've read the first paragraph of about 4 books and I just can't get into any of them. :thud: I think it's because I just have too much choice or something!

Or maybe none of them just fit your current mood. Have you found something to read by now?

I finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty yesterday. What a great read! :smile2: 

Or maybe none of them just fit your current mood. Have you found something to read by now?

No, I'm in dire need of help. :lol:

I am carrying on with Guns, Germs and Steel which is holding my interest, but it's strange to not have a fiction book on the go. :dunno:

Nearly finished Richard Kerridge's Cold Blood- excellent book! Reaffirmed by love of reptiles and amphibians, and was interesting to read it as a sort of memoir of how the author came to be so obsessed with them. 

Next up is The Sea Inside Us by Philip Hoare. This one's a re-read from about two years ago, and I remember enjoying it, so looking forward to starting that tomorrow!

I am carrying on with Guns, Germs and Steel which is holding my interest, but it's strange to not have a fiction book on the go. :dunno:

Oh dear!! :(  Okay... Put all your books on the floor and read the one Reuben sits on :D 

I started and finished The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent yesterday, I really enjoyed it! :smile2: Now I've started The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell. Very promising so far. 

Oh dear!! :(  Okay... Put all your books on the floor and read the one Reuben sits on :D

He's more likely to run off with one, and start tearing it apart. :D Guns, Germs and Steel is keeping me interested enough for the time being. I'm sure something will appeal to me soon. :wacko:

He's more likely to run off with one, and start tearing it apart. :D Guns, Germs and Steel is keeping me interested enough for the time being. I'm sure something will appeal to me soon. :wacko:

Oh dear... :D But maybe you could choose the book that way! As soon as he'd pick one and start getting his beastly mode on, you could just throw him a ball and save the book :D I'm keeping fingers crossed for you that you soon get your fiction mojo back!  :empathy:

I have just finished the lovely book 'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. (one of my best reads this year).

Starting 'The Time Keeper' by Mitch Albom

Two books! My reading mojo appears refreshed from it's holiday, and happy to be working hard now!  :D

Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw, and FBI team on the trail of an 'imaginative' killer, and Every Day, a great YA book by David Levithan.

Whoops! Forgot I wasn't supposed to be buying any tree books at the moment as we have no shelf space left … came home from a trip to the shops with:

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Gorilla Dawn by Gill Lewis

The Fair Fight by Anna Freeman

Also, my pre-ordered copy of Michele Gorman's latest book was delivered to my Kindle this morning - The Curvy Girls Baby Club. Have to admit, I don't usually like romcoms when they start going into the motherhood category, but I'm willing to give this one a go, as I've bought all Michele's other books since she was a guest author on the forum.

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I am sort of in the opposite case of BB- everything I am reading or read is good. I just added Lauren Oliver's Delirium to my mix (thanks Gaia!). It's a trilogy. So that makes two series going at the same time and I am still reading Devil in a White City as well :readingtwo:

You're welcome :)!

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is overtaking my other two reads :lol: Today I am focusing on Philippa Gregory's The Kingmaker's Daughter... if I can stay away from Delirium!

I'm so happy you're enjoying it! I shall have to read it some time soon too, so we can talk about it some more :).

I have just finished the lovely book 'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. (one of my best reads this year).

I'm glad you enjoyed The Language of Flowers! I have the book on my shelf, unread.

Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw, and FBI team on the trail of an 'imaginative' killer, and Every Day, a great YA book by David Levithan.

I've heard good things of David Levithan's writing, I'm glad you're enjoying Every Day. It appears the library has the Dutch translation so I might have to have a look soon to see if they have it (they have it at the moment but it might be loaned out before I go to the library again, since I still have quite a few loans to read).

I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 3: The Hero of Ages. Since I was last posting in this thread, I finished Myrthe van der Meer - PAAZ 2: UP and I also read Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 2: The Well of Ascension. I'm really enjoying this series, though the past two days I haven't really felt like reading. I read a lot in the past week, so now I feel a bit burned out, I think. I missed this forum and my computer!

In the post today, a copy of The Secret Keeper' by Kate Morton from a fellow bookcrosser.

Is that a new Kate Morton, Diane?

I still haven't made a very big dent in Iron Lake, but I'm determined to get some reading in tonight after the gym!  

Just hold on to the fact that you're just getting in touch with your masculine side, and have for the moment joined a reading world that is inhabited (apparently) by most male readers!

Being a bit more in touch with my feminine side than most men (I like to think!), around 'only' one-third of my books are non-fiction - but I rarely have a fiction book on the go whilst reading them, and find them all the more enjoyable as a result (non-fiction tends to demand more concentration from me than fiction).  I do find I enjoy my fiction all the more when I return, so I suspect you just need time.

Edited by willoyd

^ That's interesting - I've never though of a preference towards non-fiction as being more of a masculine characteristic. Guns, Germs and Steel has more than enough to keep me interested, but I think this is the longest time I have gone without reading a novel (not that it's even that long - it's probably only been a week :lol:). It was making me very restless, trying to find one to read, but now that I've 'given up' and stopped putting pressure on myself, I find I can just relax and get on with reading Guns, Germs and Steel.

^ That's interesting - I've never though of a preference towards non-fiction as being more of a masculine characteristic.

It's hard to tie down exact figures but, yes, most fiction appears to be bought by women (although the oft-quoted 80% may be an urban myth - it seems more likely to be around 60-65%), and most non-fiction bought by men, with somewhat more books being bought and read by women than men overall.  (Think about the proportion of men to women here, and in reading groups - although this, of course, may not be an accurate reflection of reading, simply of those who enjoy discussing their reading!).

Of course, a lot of people don't read books at all (again, rather more men than women it appears).

Edited by willoyd

I'm reading Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge - I don't like it as much as Fly By Night but it's still very original and interesting. Also halfway through The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - very funny in places, but not really my thing.