Your Book Activity - August 2015

frankie

I finished What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

Have you seen Birdman? I'm pretty sure this was the play they were putting on. :) I hope to read it one day.

About two thirds of the way through Echopraxia.  Don't want it to end :(

Sounds promising!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just over halfway in Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 1: Mistborn (The Final Empire in the UK), and I'm really enjoying it :). I look forward to read more in it as I want to find out what happens next! But first I have some topics to browse :giggle2:.

Started and am most of the way through Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Bit of an odd, mixed bag but very enjoyable all the same.

:yahoo: What made you pick up Chloe out of alllll of them??

I'm just over halfway in Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 1: Mistborn (The Final Empire in the UK), and I'm really enjoying it :). I look forward to read more in it as I want to find out what happens next! But first I have some topics to browse :giggle2:.

:jump: Woohoo!  So glad you are enjoying it!

I finished Raymond Carver's Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? Read and finished The Plagiarist by Hugh Howey and now have started Wolf Winter by Swedish author Cecilia Ekback, which I have been wanting to get to for awhile. 

I've now finished The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. It's not great literature by any means and I want to not like them, but they're such easy reads when I don't have much time to devote to a book properly. Enjoyed it!

Now starting a(nother) 1000 page epic - New York by Edward Rutherfurd. Fiction, but takes us through from New Amsterdam in 1664 through to the early 2000s. Should be interesting!

Finished Year of the Fat Knight by Antony Sher last night.  Loved it.

Moving on to Man and Superman by Shaw and keeping on with 1356 by Cornwell.

This month is the best of the year as far as my reading is concerned...feel like I've finally turned a corner.

This month is the best of the year as far as my reading is concerned...feel like I've finally turned a corner.

That's great to hear! I wish you and your reading mojo amazing times together! :D

I'm 240 pages into The Other Typist and I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to read more :smile2: 

Started and am most of the way through Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Bit of an odd, mixed bag but very enjoyable all the same.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, even if it's not as much as the other two books you've read by the author. I liked the book but it isn't my favourite book by CRH. It was enjoyable though.

:jump: Woohoo!  So glad you are enjoying it!

I finished Raymond Carver's Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? Read and finished The Plagiarist by Hugh Howey and now have started Wolf Winter by Swedish author Cecilia Ekback, which I have been wanting to get to for awhile.

Thanks, me too :)! I hope to finish it later today, we'll see.

I hope you enjoy Wolf Winter :)!

I've now finished The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. It's not great literature by any means and I want to not like them, but they're such easy reads when I don't have much time to devote to a book properly. Enjoyed it!

Now starting a(nother) 1000 page epic - New York by Edward Rutherfurd. Fiction, but takes us through from New Amsterdam in 1664 through to the early 2000s. Should be interesting!

I'm glad you enjoyed The Silkworm, I've yet to read the first one. I have New York on my TBR pile as well, I hope you enjoy it :)!

I read and finished The Old Equations by Jack Kerr last night and have not read quite so much in Wolf Winter.  I fell asleep for a nap :sleeping-smiley-009

Alexi: I am so jealous!  I have been wanting to read the Rutherfurd books...the London one and Paris, as well, Russka look good.

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 1: The Final Empire and started Esther Verhoef - Tegenlicht which my dad just finished and he recommended it to me so I've borrowed his copy and started to read it. I wanted to read something different (or a couple of books) before continuing on with the second Mistborn book, The Well of Ascension, soon. So far Tegenlicht seems interesting, I do feel for the main character and what she went through and is going through.

I've just started Ali Smith's How to be Both, and ugh... the phrase 'emperor's new clothes' springs to mind. :( I hope it isn't really just pretentious twaddle!

I recently read a book like that J. I hope you are spared!!

Went to Waterstones while in Canterbury... I bought:

Ivory, Apes and Peacocks- Alan Root

Ring of Bright Water- Gavin Maxwell (centenary edition)

Wanted to read both for ages, but never been able to find copies!

Edited by Tiger

Both are on my reading stack, I've liked Rutherfurd in the past.  (Sarum and London)

About two thirds of the way through Echopraxia.  Don't want it to end :(

Read your quote over yonder, and loved it, must get a copy! :)

I've reread The Day of the Triffids for a group on GR, and loved it all over again. :)

Also read Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz and was not impressed.  Not that it was bad, just used a rather ordinary and (imo) trite twist. 

:)  forgot I'd already listed this one, but it's worth repeating....in a negative sort of way...... :P

Edited by pontalba

I've started a collection of short stories by Anton Chekhov, The Russian Master and Other Stories. I'm enjoying it so far, particularly its sober, everyday tonne; however, it makes me appreciate Alice Munro even more.

Why does it make you appreciate Aice Munro even more? I think she will probably be my next read, so I am curious.

Why does it make you appreciate Aice Munro even more? I think she will probably be my next read, so I am curious.

It makes me appreciate her more because she seems a better writer; she's also vague, while Chekhov is more plain. Her stories rarely go into any extreme, part of the enchantment is how she gives an interesting and cosy perspective on ordinary lives (I've read somewhere her first stories were more plain and had more twists, the book I read of her was released in 2012).

Edited by Sousa