Can you recommend comforting books?

Hi and many thanks for reading.

I'm on the lookout for cosy, comforting books of a pretty specific nature. They could be fiction or non-fiction, and either adult or advanced children's/young-adult reading (although I would like to avoid books which consist mostly of children interacting with other children. I would like a good many adult characters). Alas I'm just not familiar enough with the canons and catalogues to know what's available that might suit me.

I want the books to be cosy, which to me means that they should treat of home and its comforts as an important element.

Love and romance should not feature prominently, nor action and crime take any major centre stage, and nothing particularly harrowing should occur in terms of grief, fear, pain and depression etc.

Absolutely ideal would be books that additionally:

-- Treat of "Englishness" in some way, if perhaps tangentially

-- Feature countryside and/or animals (not necessarily English countryside and animals BTW)

-- Are set 1850-1950 -- and perhaps written then

-- Are more vignettes than gripping single plot.

But if a book does not hit every one of those latter points please don't hold it back as it might still suit very well.

In fiction, Grahame's Wind in the Willows is a good fit on all counts; for non-fiction, Durrell's My Family and Other Animals is perfect.

I can't help thinking there must be so many more authors and titles that would work? Please do recommend anything you think might be close, and I'll take a look. If you have heaps of ideas then by all means bring on the deluge!

I'm sure imaginations here are first rate, but still, you might find it hard to imagine how grateful I'll be for your help.

Thanks so much again.

Last winter I've read a very comforting book, albeit melancholic, called Dear Life. The author is Alice Munro, whose work is focused on short stories about ordinary lives in 20th century Canada. I come from a very different home, unfortunately, but the stories in the book gave me a needed refuge. The stories don't have happy endings, but show life as a continuous flow with many possible outcomes. They tend to show the moments characters act different from what they're supposed to, and how it changes their life not necessarily for the better, but for something different. What I most took from it was the comfort of someone old and observant telling me I'm okay.

Edited by Sousa

This sounds like a very specific request... it's not perchance for an essay or other school/college work is it?

I have not been to school since 1988! This is just what I want to read at the moment. (In case you think it's narrow, it's not all I want to read, but it's the only area for which I could use recommendations.) I got this list considering The Wind in the Willows and My Family and Other Animals -- why they were so important to me.

However I take the point that I put it all a little surgically and perhaps "obfuscated by clarifying" so I have made a shorter version:

Hi,

I'm looking for more books like Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows  and Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals -- which I think of as fun, fairly light (whilst still of literary merit) and above all cosy, homey and comfortable/comforting in their different ways. I like the fact that there is no love and romance, and nothing harrowing/depressing. I also like the fact that they feature nature, and are English in perhaps a rather old-fashioned way. If you know any more books you think are in that line, I would love to know what they are! Thanks a lot.

I hope this is less offputting...?

Last winter I've read a very comforting book, albeit melancholic, called Dear Life. The author is Alice Munro, whose work is focused on short stories about ordinary lives in 20th century Canada. I come from a very different home, unfortunately, but the stories in the book gave me a needed refuge. The stories don't have happy endings, but show life as a continuous flow with many possible outcomes. They tend to show the moments characters act different from what they're supposed to, and how it changes their life not necessarily for the better, but for something different. What I most took from it was the comfort of someone old and observant telling me I'm okay.

It's a thoughtful suggestion and I thank you for it, but I have to say, I do not think it would actually be comforting in the sense I intended.

It's a thoughtful suggestion and I thank you for it, but I have to say, I do not think it would actually be comforting in the sense I intended.

No, its comfort lies on disruption, which is the opposite of what you seek. The time period and the country are also different. Perhaps To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf. All the categories fit in, but it's a small novel instead of vignettes. The first part's about the Ramsays, a middle-aged couple with eight children, spending vacations in the Isle of Skye with some guests, before World War I. The second part is a small mention to the years in which the house's empty and the major events in the Ramsay family. The third part is their returning to the house, ten years later if my memory serves right, marked by the changes in their lives and the nostalgia of the vacations before the war. It's very serene and uneventful, with the exception of the second part. There's very little dialogue as well. The first and third parts advance through the thoughts and observations of some characters. Despite being a small book, it took me some time to read because it's a bit erratic in some parts. I often needed to pause, in order to think about some observation or idea. I found myself going back to the book in the following months to read a particular excerpt again.

This multiquote thing is good. :)

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Gervace Phinn's books about his time as a school inspector in Yorkshire

Those look fun, please convey my thanks to the top of your head chesilbeach!

No, its comfort lies on disruption, which is the opposite of what you seek. The time period and the country are also different. Perhaps To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf.

I have to say Sousa, I think your tastes run to denser, more literary fiction than I'm after on this particular occasion. The books I gave as examples are perhaps not entirely negligible, but they're really pretty simple. Not Nobel stuff really.

The book that gives me the warmiest fuzzies after reading it is The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim. It's not YA or children's, but it's a beautiful novel and SO comforting.

I have not been to school since 1988! This is just what I want to read at the moment. (In case you think it's narrow, it's not all I want to read, but it's the only area for which I could use recommendations.) I got this list considering The Wind in the Willows and My Family and Other Animals -- why they were so important to me.

However I take the point that I put it all a little surgically and perhaps "obfuscated by clarifying" so I have made a shorter version:

I hope this is less offputting...?

It's fine, we just don't allow help with homework so I had to check! :) I've been trying to think of suggestions for you but honestly it has only served to illustrate how dark and depressing everything I read is! You should stick around and browse the different subforums, you'll pick up tons of reading suggestions in no time. Might not all fit this description, but you'd be surprised how much will catch your fancy even if its not what you're looking for :)

:) I've been trying to think of suggestions for you but honestly it has only served to illustrate how dark and depressing everything I read is!

I was thinking the same thing about myself or at least I'm thinking I don't read things that are particularly comforting.

I don't know if it's exactly what your asking for, but when I think of comforting novels I immediately think of the Anne of Green Gables series.  Not sure if you've ever read it, but it is set in the country side of Prince Edward Island, written in 1880's, has wonderful characters, and touching and funny homemaking scenes. 

The closest thing I can think of that may fit your requirements is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. It definitely features the comfort of home and family, it was written between the years you specified, I am pretty sure there are animals and countryside, there is no romance, and it is more vignettes than a single plot. It's also a beautiful book, period. You might want to give it a try. :smile:

Edited by alicedrinkwater

Hmm, how about P G Wodehouse Blandings Castle series, or Angela Thirkell's Barchester series (especially the Virago Modern Classics)? They all do feature love interest, but is a very light hearted and humorous way. 

Many, many thanks to all! I'm particularly grateful to Echo for von Arnim who looks interesting and of whom I hadn't heard. I also had forgotten about Dandelion Wine, which I'd intended to read a long while ago but forgot about -- so thanks to Ms. Drinkwater for taking the time away from Edgewood.

And all suggestions in general were much appreciated too. If anyone thinks of anything else, please don't hesitate!

I've been trying to think of suggestions for you but honestly it has only served to illustrate how dark and depressing everything I read is!

I was thinking the same thing about myself or at least I'm thinking I don't read things that are particularly comforting.

This is just why I asked.. I do not normally read things like this myself and thus didn't know where to begin -- it's not that I'm short of reading material in general, quite the contrary!

Cheers to all.

The Darling Buds of May series of books by H.E Bates would fit the bill, I think. I'll also second the recommendation of Gervase Phinn's books - they are very good.

Cheers Dolly Rocket. Thanks to an family-owned audiobook read by Prunella Scales, though, I know the book already. I can quote bits still.

It does tick almost all the boxes -- but not the first and most important. The title tends to give that away! The Starkadder residence is a blissfully bleak comedic setup, but unlike the Badger or Durrell homes, I would not want to visit it personally. :D