World War I/II Fiction

I saw this at the library today and thought I'd mention it here, too: The Puppet Boy of Warsaw by Eva Weaver

I was twelve when the coat was made. Nathan, our tailor and dear friend, cut it for Grandfather in the first week of March 1938. It was the last week of freedom for Warsaw and for us...

Even in the most difficult of lives, there is hope. And sometimes that hope comes in the form of a small boy, armed with a troupe of puppets - a prince, a girl, a fool, a crocodile with half-painted teeth....

When Mika's grandfather dies in the Warsaw ghetto, he inherits not only his great coat, but its treasure trove of secrets. In one remote pocket, he finds a papier mache head, a scrap of cloth...the prince. And what better way to cheer the cousin who has lost her father, the little boy who his ill, the neighbours living in one cramped room, than a puppet show? Soon the whole ghetto is talking about the puppet boy - until the day when Mika is stopped by a German officer and is forced into a secret life...

This is a story about survival. It is an epic journey, spanning continents and generations, from Warsaw to the gulags of Siberia, and two lives that intertwine amid the chaos of war. Because even in wartime, there is hope...

• 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone uses or watches this thread anymore. But I am looking for a book about WW1. I have always been interested in history. Seeing as summer is ending and the cold dark nights are drawing near, I was wanting to find a sort of (cosy read), trench warfare/story/account set during WW1?. Would like it to be non-fiction and would like a book that explains WW1 that would interest me. Wether it tells the story of a soldier and his life through the war in the trenches, or a wider account of it all, I wouldnt know what book to look for that meets my requirements. Any help to find a book like that would be much appreciated!  :) 

p.s I have looked at "The First Day on the Somme: 1 July 1916". Which is about one of the most iconic battles of the war which is probably the "cosy" part of my requirements. However when I say a book about the "History of WW1" what book comes into mind? One that iwll intrugue and interest me, one that I will find fascinating and learn something from. One that explains the whole of WW1..or is there not a book that does that?

Thanks

All Quiet on the Western Front is the one I most often see mentioned when it comes to WW1 books. I have not read so I won't comment on it but it can't be bad. I am reading Seven Pillars of Wisdom if you are interested in other settings except the Western Front. And of course one of my absolute all time favourite book: The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek. It's funny and well written, with tons of satire and a strong anti-war theme. 

Hemingway's A Farwell to Arms is set in WW1 but I have not read it. 

Love reading books set during this time. A few I've read and enjoyed ...

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley

Pied Piper by Nevil Shute (many of his books are set during WW2)

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore

The Cazelet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard

The Avenue Goes To War by RF Delderfield

The Provincial Lady In Wartime by EM Delafield

No Time To Wave Goodbye by Ben Wicks

Three Women of Liverpool by Helen Forrester

After Midnight by Robert Ryan

An Indecent Obsession by Colleen McCullough

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

and ones others have mentioned

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Boy In Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

A Farewell to Arms is the only Hemingway I've never liked, and he is my favorite author. All Quite on the Western Front is a really great book. The Girl From Krakow is a good book, so is When Paris Went Dark, both of which I read this year and are two of my favorites of the year.