Competition: The Truth According to Us (International) [Closed]

Another competition for you! The lovely people at Transworld are offering 5 copies of The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows.

truth.jpg

From the co-author of the international best-seller, THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY.

'I can't stand this poky little town any more. How can I bear it for three more months? Today alone has lasted years...'

Disinherited by her father, the debutante Miss Layla Beck is forced to spend the hot summer of 1938 in Macedonia, West Virginia, and is tasked with recording the small town's history. She arrives with one goal: to get out as quickly as possible. Macedonia's history seems simple enough - brief and uneventful. Then Layla meets the Romeyns: Jottie, Willa, Felix, Emmett, a family at once entertaining, eccentric, seductive, and inextricably bound up in Macedonia's biggest secret. It's a secret all the townsfolk have a stake in, and as Layla delves into town legend, hidden truths emerge that reveal an altogether different history, one that has left hearts and lives broken. Layla soon realises that some secrets should stay hidden forever.

Four copies will be sent out direct by the publisher, and will be for entrants in the UK / Europe. The fifth will come to me, and I can send it internationally.. along with a rather lovely Moleskine Journal. Closing date is Sunday 26th July.

To enter, simply tell us a truth about yourself.. nothing major, just a little fact that we may not already know. (If you're stuck, maybe it's a book no one realises you've read.)

I travelled all the way to Georgia, Eastern Europe, to see a "friend", who then asked me to make a marriage of convenience for her to get to England, where she would leave me and set out anew. 2007.

Edited by itsmeagain

Ok, but I can't think of an interesting truth! Here's a pretty boring one.. I have an immense irrational fear of butterflies (insert rolled eyes emoji here!) and once almost jumped off the cliff at Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire to escape what seemed like hundreds of them.. My poor Mum had to pin me to the ground to stop me.. I then had to walk the next 100 or so yards with my eyes closed and hyper ventilating with my parents leading me along.. There were loads of people around too so it was hugely embarrassing! :(:D

I went to Turkey just before my 23rd birthday and almost didn't come back. I got engaged to a guy out there and almost threw away my plane ticket home.

In the end, though, I decided I was more in love with the country than with the guy and broke it off.

A good thing, too, as a few months later, I met Dale and the rest is history!

I often return to the same locations in my dreams. There is a large scruffy house, a wooden pub set on a land spit out at sea, and I also visit an empty huge sprawling hotel. They have been dream locations for about 35 years and as far as I am aware are not real places.

They have appeared so often over the years that if I am upset or disturbed in my dreams I will 'steer' my dream self to one of the three places. As I sit here typing this I can 'see' the three places in my mind, they are that familiar to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...