Hello, hope to get to know some of you

Anna Faversham

Hello, I'm Anna, and I've loved reading all my life. I live in Kent where it's currently 33 centigrade and far too hot to do anything other than sit quietly and read. I get very little time to read, so it's treasured when I do.

I've only looked around the site a little and it will probably take me some time to wise-up as to how things work.

Hello Sousa, that was a quick reply! Thank you for your welcome.

I enjoy crime thrillers and mysteries, historical fiction, time travel, also some contemporary fiction. I'm currently reading a book about a Lady (yes with a capital L) who has a detective agency. I'm only about a third of the way through - but I'm just off to read a bit more. It's too hot to do anything else.

Welcome, Anna!  I'm a bit partial to crime thrillers as well.  :)  But I also love history and Nabokov, and......../sigh/  The list is pretty endless. :)

It's about 92F here, on a par with your 33C.  Right Too hot for anything much!

Welcome here :)! It is really hot here too. Today they predict it will be 36 °C here, and I believe in a few days they say it will be 41 °C. I've never before had that in the Netherlands. I hope it cools down a bit for you soon.

I hope you enjoy it here!

Thank you for your welcome, Athena, I'm sure I'll enjoy slowly getting around TBCF.

You are very welcome to our 30+ degrees (I can't find the little degree symbol). It's cloudy here today, so it's a tad cooler. I'll keep an eye on temps in The Netherlands and see if the prediction comes true. I hope not - we northern Europeans are not geared up for heat, are we! Our trains slow down in case the rails buckle, our roads melt (yes, the word 'melt' is all over the newspapers today) and people flake out all over the place. 

Hi Anna, welcome to the forum! I'm also a fan of historical and contemporary fiction. We have some threads for your top ten books, top ten authors etc, maybe you would like to add your selections to them when you the time?

Do you have children, pets? I have 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat.. :)

I took a sneaky peek at your profile which confirmed you like dogs! I do too but I'm not allowed one! My children threaten to buy me a puppy for Christmas.  :lol:

I'll take a further look around here this evening and read some of the interesting looking forum posts on genres. I'd have trouble choosing a top 10 of anything though.

What a fabulous selection of emoticons this site has. I shall try and use all of them! Might have to wait for Christmas before I get to the party one.

I took a sneaky peek at your profile which confirmed you like dogs! I do too but I'm not allowed one! My children threaten to buy me a puppy for Christmas.  :lol:

I'll take a further look around here this evening and read some of the interesting looking forum posts on genres. I'd have trouble choosing a top 10 of anything though.

What a fabulous selection of emoticons this site has. I shall try and use all of them! Might have to wait for Christmas before I get to the party one.

Ah what a shame, why are you not allowed a dog? Thankfully my other half is a dog fan too so that makes things easier! What sort of dog do you think you would get if you could?

This site is fabulous, there is so much here and it is so easy to navigate (it must be as I can manage it!) :D

Ah what a shame, why are you not allowed a dog? Thankfully my other half is a dog fan too so that makes things easier! What sort of dog do you think you would get if you could?

This site is fabulous, there is so much here and it is so easy to navigate (it must be as I can manage it!) :D

We had a boxer dog when we lived in Africa; we inherited him from a family who returned 'home'. He was devoted to our family, sort of grateful that we'd taken him in, and he defended us from a rampaging rabid dog. Killed the dog. There was no rabies vaccine in the country (long story) and he had to be shot. Life is different in the bush in central Africa. I took months to get over it. I don't think I'm really over it now, many years later. When we returned to England, a cat adopted us. You'll know how cats do this. My husband is not a cat person. It was obvious she had been badly treated and once again, she became devoted to us, being more like a dog and coming with me for walks. Even hubby gave in to her charms. She died recently of old age.

My husband is right really. We tend to be busy people and animals need time. Our son thinks I'd like a labrador or golden retriever and, as usual, he's dead right! 

So give yours a cuddle from me, please! What have you got?

If I mess up a post, is it possible to edit it? Or is it a case of once I've said it - that's it, it's there for eternity?

You can edit your posts once you've posted a certain amount and a mod can delete a whole post for you if you really need to, just ask in the Ask a mod topic.

One of my closest friends lived in Malawi for many years so I have heard many stories about people and animals and appreciate it is a very different world, where did you live?  I have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs at the moment, before that 2 Crossbreeds and before that Labradors. I love my dogs, and the cat I suppose but she is very independent and my youngest Cattle Dog, Jojo likes to herd her so she tends to spend her time outside or upstairs! :D

Ah thanks, chaliepud. I'll feel much safer if I can edit stuff! Our cat's favourite place to sit was on someone's lap and if she couldn't find one then she sat in front of me until I gave in. As for outside - forget it! Once she'd found us, she wasn't going outside - ever! She was overruled on that though.

Hi Peacefield, Yes, I like to go back in time. It makes me very, very thankful that I was born in the twentieth century and not before! Latter half, I hasten to add. If I get time later, I'm going to be reading the historical genre threads.

Ah thanks, chaliepud. I'll feel much safer if I can edit stuff! Our cat's favourite place to sit was on someone's lap and if she couldn't find one then she sat in front of me until I gave in. As for outside - forget it! Once she'd found us, she wasn't going outside - ever! She was overruled on that though.

Ours are the same. :D They're not massively affectionate, but they've always been house cats and have developed extreme agoraphobia, bless them. I've recently been putting a harness and lead on our youngest and taking him for walks around the garden. :blush::giggle2:

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :D

Thanks for the welcome, Signor Finzione. 

I suppose it would be good to use one of the cute little cat emoticons - I've no idea what they're meant to mean so I hope I don't offend anyone on my first couple of days on this forum!   :018: Hope that one's all right! And you wouldn't be the only person I know who uses a harness to take their indoor cat for a walk! Very good way of doing it.

I do miss mine.