What's Up in July? - 2015

Athena

Today is my last day of work for 2 whole weeks!  Yippee!!  I have a massive amount of things to do before I hit the road for the cabin tomorrow morning but it doesn't matter since as of 2:30 today I'll be on vacation.

Luckily we have wi-fi up there so I'll still be in touch somewhat ;)  I'm bringing 2 books with me plus 2 in my Kindle app on my iPad, so I hope to get a lot of relaxing reading in on the dock.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another week for me comes to an end. It has been a very long and a very tiring one - but also a very exciting one. My husband and partner Coran's book is being published tomorrow, after 10 years or more (on and off) of very hard work and is being featured all of next week on BBC Radio Surrey's breakfast show.

We met the presenter of the show, Mark Carter about 3 years ago when he came to the village of Box Hill where we live to do a live broadcast as part of the Olympics. Coran must have made an impression, as when she emailed Mark a few days ago, he got straight back to her asking her to come to the studio the following day to record an interview. That interview is to be presented as a series of 'sound bites' between Monday and Thursday next week at around 8.50am. Mark has also requested, since Coran spoke about her relationship with me, that the pair of us come to the studio at 8.50 next Friday for what will hopefully be a live on air interview to round off the week. My boss has very kindly given permission for me to come in a little late that day (I am owed some time of in lieu anyway) so it's all systems go.

Even though I have done live radio before with my own book which was published 9 years ago now, I am still a little nervous, as I have never actually been into the studio before (everything has always been done over the phone). I am sure we will both be fine, as Mark is a great guy, but for Coran this is fantastic. To get the BBC to help an unknown and first time author in this way doesn't happen very often at all. :day:

Next week then will certainly be an interesting one for both of us - I am doing a one day course in Macaton (sign language) on Monday as well, which I am really looking forward to and have been waiting a long time for (since I first started working here a year and half ago). We have several deaf and autistic clients at work who prefer to communicate in this way, so it will help me to communicate with them a lot better and of course it's a great skill to have.

Edited by Talisman