What's Up in July? - 2015

Athena

That's a great photo! I would be terrified, I also can't imagine living anywhere with dangerous animals around. We haven't got anything like it here. I once 'ran into' a snake in France, but gladly in the Netherlands there aren't many dangerous animals around.

My dentist appointment is over for another few months :exc:, my teeth hurt, but I'm so glad it's all over now. I had to have some photos made too, but gladly it's all over now for a while. Phew. I'll be doing some administrative stuff now and in the afternoon I plan to rest a bit.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a cute bear!  I love bears :D  I just wish they were friendly enough to be social and I would be in my element.

So far I've had a busy month and I've had to cram everything in on my limited days off work.  Last week I competed in the Race For Life 5k and raised over £100 for Cancer Research.  It was an awesome evening in Blackpool and I felt so proud to be able to contribute to such a great cause.  Of course, being in Blackpool, we made the most of it and spent some time on the beach and playing in the arcades.  It's almost the law really :)

Woo, well done! That sounds like a lot of fun :lol:

I had my interview today. It was atrocious. I'm so bad at interviews :roll: I look great on paper, but what's written on paper (things like I'm capable of speaking for hours and training people how to use software in a clear, helpful manner) is utterly at odds with what they got today in interview, so I can only hope they're willing to put it down to the worst case of nerves they've ever seen. I doubt it, though, I wouldn't give anyone a job of the back of the interview I gave today.

Oh well, it's done now. Bed and mini rolls and Merlin for me.

So far I've had a busy month and I've had to cram everything in on my limited days off work. Last week I competed in the Race For Life 5k and raised over £100 for Cancer Research. It was an awesome evening in Blackpool and I felt so proud to be able to contribute to such a great cause. Of course, being in Blackpool, we made the most of it and spent some time on the beach and playing in the arcades. It's almost the law really :)

Well done for raising the money :)!

I had my interview today. It was atrocious. I'm so bad at interviews :roll: I look great on paper, but what's written on paper (things like I'm capable of speaking for hours and training people how to use software in a clear, helpful manner) is utterly at odds with what they got today in interview, so I can only hope they're willing to put it down to the worst case of nerves they've ever seen. I doubt it, though, I wouldn't give anyone a job of the back of the interview I gave today.

Awwww :(.

Is that Merlin the TV series? Is it any good?

Is that Merlin the TV series? Is it any good?

Yes, the BBC one. Hmmmm. If you get invested in Merlin/Arthur, then it's great. I adore the actors and they became really close friends while filming so the affection and chemistry is always hugely apparent in their acting. The whole thing is centred around Arthur not knowing Merlin is a sorcerer, and Merlin's struggle to guide Arthur (and regularly save his life with magic) while having to hide who he is. It's a family show, so there are a lot of slapstick comedy scenes and gags that little kids would find funny, no adult humour (well... mostly), some dodgy acting at times and the final season is a little bit of a mess in terms of pacing. It's definitely a B-level tv show. But... it has real heart, and on occasion it gets things so right that it makes it worth all the dodgy bits. Once you get invested in the characters, some of the episodes and some of the acting is heartwrenching. Fabulous music and settings, too. So I dunno, depends on what you're into. It's probably my favourite show of all time, can you tell? :P

Well, I wouldn't say "mastered" by ANY means lol but I've been practicing and finally got the "knit stitch" correct in my knitting.  Now I just need to do it consistently right and hold my wool LOOSER!  But the point is, I am (sort of) actually knitting!!

Preparing for a presentation for my history class on Beat Poet Allen Ginsburg's Howl.  (It became part of an obscenity trial and won, championing Freedom of Speech rights).  That's on Tuesday- yuck, I don't look forward to the speech part of it, but I think my paper isn't that bad. 

Yesterday was the day from hade's. The power company accidentally cut the power lines in the downtown area where I work. Traffic lights were nonworking for HOURS. My building is one of those "smart" building so of course NOTHING wanted to work. I had to go pick up about $1,000 worth of alcohol for the company and after getting to the office, I realized I wasn't going to be able to enter the garage as the arms would not go up or down so we couldn't get in OR out. Maintenance had to manually dismantle the arms so we could leave or enter. I had to park in our client parking spot then go in the building to locate my intern so he could help me unload. We get all these flimsy boxes loaded onto a dolly, go down a ramp, swipe our security card to open the door only to find out that the doors were NOT going to open. It was about 100' degrees outside and we couldn't leave the beverages unattended. I contacted our receptionist who informed maintenance who were ineffective. We were out there on that little bridge almost 40 minutes. I located a maintenance worker so I could borrow a dolly. The one we had was piled high with boxes of booze and tonic water and it was hard work getting it to the place we were, trying to move it again would have been thumbing our nose at fate. I had to walk back down to get it as the elevators were out of service, go back UP the stairs, reload my dolly then we both had to push these dollies down the garage incline for 4 levels. All of this nonsense ate up about 2 hours. As we finally get to the lower level we have to wait on someone to open the gate or we'd have to push these dollies around the block where a homeless shelter is, I'm never that crazy. As soon as we are about to go in the gate, a paralegal rushes out to me saying she needs a document sent to one of our state offices post haste. As a trade off, I have HER get the cart back into the building, onto our floor and unloaded.

The doors were still inoperable so we had to leave out the front entrance. I usually don't mind this, in fact, its my favorite place to walk, except there is a momma bird who stupidly built her nest in a potted tree right at the doors. Now whenever we walk out, we run the risk of getting dive bombed by the bird.

I'm all for technology but when we relinquish our ability to open a door, I begin to think like Neo from the Matrix. Technology will be the end of us.

Today was SO much better! I went home last night and took some pm meds so I could sleep as I was aching all over. I even slept a little later this morning so yay me!!

I posted this in the Sport topic but am posting it here also as many don't read the Sports. :)

My 7 year old great-grandson has qualified for the (Nationals) AAU Junior Olympics. He competed in the 8 year old and under category and ran a 6:07 in the 1500 meters. Pretty good for a 7 year old. He is the son of my granddaughter that ran in the Boston Marathon.

Yes, the BBC one. Hmmmm. If you get invested in Merlin/Arthur, then it's great. I adore the actors and they became really close friends while filming so the affection and chemistry is always hugely apparent in their acting. The whole thing is centred around Arthur not knowing Merlin is a sorcerer, and Merlin's struggle to guide Arthur (and regularly save his life with magic) while having to hide who he is. It's a family show, so there are a lot of slapstick comedy scenes and gags that little kids would find funny, no adult humour (well... mostly), some dodgy acting at times and the final season is a little bit of a mess in terms of pacing. It's definitely a B-level tv show. But... it has real heart, and on occasion it gets things so right that it makes it worth all the dodgy bits. Once you get invested in the characters, some of the episodes and some of the acting is heartwrenching. Fabulous music and settings, too. So I dunno, depends on what you're into. It's probably my favourite show of all time, can you tell? :P

Sounds good :D

Well, I wouldn't say "mastered" by ANY means lol but I've been practicing and finally got the "knit stitch" correct in my knitting.  Now I just need to do it consistently right and hold my wool LOOSER!  But the point is, I am (sort of) actually knitting!!

Preparing for a presentation for my history class on Beat Poet Allen Ginsburg's Howl.  (It became part of an obscenity trial and won, championing Freedom of Speech rights).  That's on Tuesday- yuck, I don't look forward to the speech part of it, but I think my paper isn't that bad.

Well done :)! Good luck with your presentation! I hope it will go well. I never liked speaking in front of people, brrr, I'll think of you :friends0:

Yesterday was the day from hade's.

[...]

I'm all for technology but when we relinquish our ability to open a door, I begin to think like Neo from the Matrix. Technology will be the end of us.

Today was SO much better! I went home last night and took some pm meds so I could sleep as I was aching all over. I even slept a little later this morning so yay me!!

Wow, what a day! I'm glad yesterday was so much better for you! 

My 7 year old great-grandson has qualified for the (Nationals) AAU Junior Olympics. He competed in the 8 year old and under category and ran a 6:07 in the 1500 meters. Pretty good for a 7 year old. He is the son of my granddaughter that ran in the Boston Marathon.

What a sporty family! Congratulations to him :)!

Yesterday in the later afternoon I spent some nice time reading, and before then I put some of my old childhood books in my book database. I plan to do these two things today as well. This weekend my grandparents will come by, so I will spend some time with my family.

I posted this in the Sport topic but am posting it here also as many don't read the Sports. :)

That's very impressive, not sure that would happen in the UK as we tend to start the long distances a bit later than that. They may do some cross country from the school year they turn 9 but on the track my son is only doing 600m in the U11's.

Very hot (5th level of hades hot) today. It's also been a bit surreal. My state has FINALLY furled the Confederate flag and taken it to its new home in the Confederate Relics Museum, where it can be worshiped. Streets were blocked off for hours this morning.

Another weekend alone, sigh. Guess I'll spend it doing some closet reorganizing. I really need to update my wardrobe and get several bits and pieces. Now's as good a time as any. I've also got a few lists to make for projects and shopping that needs to be done between now and September. And of course, there will be reading. Honestly, its the reading that's keeping me sane right now, lol!

Good luck with your weekend!

My grandparents are coming over one day of the weekend, and my brother and his girlfriend the other. So it'll be a busy weekend spending a lot of time with my family, but hopefully it'll be fun :). I also plan to put my childhood books that I found up the attic, on my book shelves. I also hope to do a lot of reading, and to spend some time with my boyfriend.

We just returned from my parents' house, where my whole family got together to celebrate my mom's 69th birthday. Unfortunately, she wasn't feeling well, as she's severely anemic and therefore tired, but we had a good dinner and had fun hanging out.

I'm hoping for a peaceful day tomorrow where BF and I can just get some chores done and get even more reading done.

I hope your mum feels better soon :(. I hope you have a peaceful day :).

I had a great time with my grandparents yesterday (and with my parents and Michael!). I just finished having a long phone conversation with my sister, and soon now my brother and his girlfriend will be here :). So I'll be spending some time with my family, then maybe in the later afternoon I can do some more relaxing reading :).

Been out hunting down Shaun the Sheep statues this morning on the Shaun In The City trail in Bristol.  OH snuck out while I was at work during the week, so he's actually finished the whole lot, but I've still got 17 left to go out of the 70 Bristol Shauns.

Started off dry and warm, but gradually it started to rain - just that annoying drizzle to start with, but by the end it was hammering down.  A good morning though, and now I can settle down and start sorting out the photos and then get back to my book. :)

We went on a choo-choo train this morning!  :D

It was a spontaneous visit to The Bluebell Railway with their beautiful old steam trains. It's a 22 mile round trip and takes about an hour and twenty five minutes through some gorgeous countryside. A lovely way to spend a Sunday morning.

It was a spontaneous visit to The Bluebell Railway with their beautiful old steam trains. It's a 22 mile round trip and takes about an hour and twenty five minutes through some gorgeous countryside. A lovely way to spend a Sunday morning.

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend some time. Enjoy the remainder of the day.

Splendid, Chrissy!! Any photos? :flowers2:

edit: just saw one of you on the Bluebell Train, our lovely Chrissy xxx

Edited by poppy

I'm glad you had such fun! It is a lovely photo :)!

I've had a busy weekend, though I had a lot of fun spending time with my family (Michael, my parents, my grandparents (from mum's side) and my brother and his girlfriend. I also phoned my sister.). So today I hope to rest a bit (since I'm tired from the weekend), aside from the appointment I have this morning.

Hi!

I'm come back since a long time without being around.

I'm finished my degree last month and now I'm studying English because I want the Advanced certification. If you see some mistakes don't hesitate to correct me.

Athenea your weekend was great!! It's really nice to spend time with family.

My weekend was really relaex, I watched Interestellar on Saturday and yestarday I stayed in home.