Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just finished my re-read of the amazing Paper Towns by John Green. Such a fantastic book. I don't think I know any other book that has made me laugh so much, or that is so immensely quotable.

WIll you watch the film when it comes out?

I'm currently reading Jenny Colgan - Operation Sunshine but so far I'm not loving it. The main character seems a bit stupid and it annoys me. Hopefully it will get better.

Hope it picks up soon Gaia! :)

I'm reading The Girls from Corona Del Mar  by Rufi Thorpe, just my kind of book, a little dark and depressing but written in an uplifting style. I only saw on the back of the book yesterday that the book is recommended by Vanessa Diffenbaugh who wrote The Language of Flowers, a book in my favourite top ten. :)

Thanks for the warning :giggle2: Have you read The Cousins War/ White Queen series?  I am curious if they are all about Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville.  I guess King's Curse is the latest one?  I am afraid to read the synopsis for fear of reading something I don't want to know!

No, I haven't read those yet. I read the Wideacre trilogy, Earthly Joys two book series, Fallen Skies, and the first few from the Tudor Series.  I do own all of the The Cousin's War/White Queen series, though. I'm saving those for last. :D

Hope it picks up soon Gaia! :)

Thanks, that's very nice of you :). I have abandoned the book for now though, at about a third in I just felt I couldn't go on with it. I'm trying to think of what to read next, possibly Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls. I'm not entirely sure what I feel in the mood to read, but the first few pages of this book seem promising.

Thanks, that's very nice of you :). I have abandoned the book for now though, at about a third in I just felt I couldn't go on with it. I'm trying to think of what to read next, possibly Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls. I'm not entirely sure what I feel in the mood to read, but the first few pages of this book seem promising.

Lots of us on here have agreed that A Monster Calls is a great read, so fingers crossed! :)

Lots of us on here have agreed that A Monster Calls is a great read, so fingers crossed! :)

Yup, it's an absolutely fab book!

May I ask why you avoid the historical fiction genre, Anna?  Just curious :D  I have not read any of Philippa Gregory's books. 

I bought Armada for myself yesterday and I can't wait to read it!  Ernest Cline's second book.  I loved his first!  I feel like I've asked you this before, Noll, but have you read his first book Ready Player One?  I know it would be right up your alley!  

I feel like I've asked you this before, Noll, but have you read his first book Ready Player One?  I know it would be right up your alley!  

I actually haven't, though I've heard the name thrown around a LOT. I might nab a copy for my tablet and read it :)

I'm almost 100 pages into Longbourn and really enjoying it. I'm seeing some amusing parallels between Lizzy and Sarah! As per always, it's taking me a lot longer to read this as it's historical fiction and requires much more attention, so I'm thinking I might read something a bit more modern alongside it.

Also, it's my third tree-book in a row - I seem to be moving back in the direction of tree books a little bit :lol: Which is good, since I keep buying them :roll:

No, I haven't read those yet. I read the Wideacre trilogy, Earthly Joys two book series, Fallen Skies, and the first few from the Tudor Series.  I do own all of the The Cousin's War/White Queen series, though. I'm saving those for last. :D

Oh wow- so quite a few!  White Queen is quite addicting. 

May I ask why you avoid the historical fiction genre, Anna?  Just curious :D  I have not read any of Philippa Gregory's books. 

I bought Armada for myself yesterday and I can't wait to read it!  Ernest Cline's second book.  I loved his first!  I feel like I've asked you this before, Noll, but have you read his first book Ready Player One?  I know it would be right up your alley!  

I think I would rather just read the actual history behind the story- but I love history.  I also heard about Armada before it came out, so thanks for the reminder.  Will Wheaton does the audiobook, when I get better at crocheting and knitting I might get it... so in a few years :giggle2:

Also, it's my third tree-book in a row - I seem to be moving back in the direction of tree books a little bit :lol: Which is good, since I keep buying them :roll:

The dark side!!  :P

Yup, it's an absolutely fab book!

I finished it, I agree with you both! It was amazing :D. The review can be found in my thread.

I hope you enjoy this! I loved Ready Player One and would love to read Armada once the paperback is out and I can afford it.

Haha :lol:! It's addicting, isn't it :).

Have finished the Abercrombie First Law Trilogy - which was wonderful.  I enjoyed every minute of it and the characters will stay with me for a long time.

Have just started H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald.  This is a book my daughter bought for me as a stocking filler last Christmas and it has been on my TBR pile.  She bought it as a surprise because she knows I love falcons, and I hadn't the heart to tell her that hawks are totally different and I actually abhor sparrowhawks!  Not to worry, though, as this book is about a gos. ;)  Early days yet but there is a lot more to this book than pure falconry.

I have read 72% of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (if that needs saying! :giggle: ) since Saturday!  This is something of a record for me with regards to a Classic.  I can see why it is a Classic too.  I have put this off for years but it's actually a pretty easy read and I'm really enjoying it.  :)

I'll let you know how I get on with Armada, Athena and Anna.  I'm super excited to read it! :D

I'm about 6 chapters into Ordinary Grace and am enjoying it immensely.  Something about the way it's written is just very peaceful.

Hmm, so I should bump it up my TBR pile then? :)

Maybe, as it's so beautifully written, and the way Rainer says a lot in a very succinct way. It is has some wonderful advice to the young poet, and I think it is useful for any artist/writer etc.  

I just wish that I had read it years ago :blush2: , but we can't read all the right books in all the right times  :mellow: (but we still wish it anyway  :smile: )

Currently reading Once There Was A War by John Steinbeck.  It's a collection of his wartime reports from Europe for American newspapers in the summer and autumn of 1943.  The first part sees him in England, and is proving a fascinating insight into the country at that time, as seen by an outsider.  I've struggled to get into a rhythm of reading this book, which is a shame as it's really well written. To some extent, it strikes me as better for dipping into, with its series of (very) short essays, rather than reading as one continous narrative, but am going to try and sit down and give it a real go later today.

It actually proved to be a far more enjoyable and rewarding read when read as a continuous book! Finished it and loved it. Now onto Mary Shelley's (who else?!) Frankenstein - long anticipated!

LOL at you guys.

I'm about halfway through Longbourn, and while it's very subdued it's beautifully written and an absolute pleasure to read.

It is however making me read far too slowly so I've broken out my tablet again with The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson - my first by her!