Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

I'm re-reading Paper Towns by John Green, in honor of the upcoming film. It's such a quoteable book. Here's one of my (spoilerless!) favourites:

:exc:

"Getting you to prom is so hard that the hypothetical idea itself is used to cut diamonds."

There isn't a teenager (and few adults!) on the planet as insightful and witty as any of John Green's characters, but I love to read them all the same.

:yes:  :giggle:

Started reading Letters to a Young Poet (Penguin Classics) by Rainer Maria Rilke - and it's so good that I am kicking myself for not having read it years earlier  :banghead:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami and Funny Girl by Nick Hornby for £7 in Tesco last night.

Part of me feels dirty for buying books in Tesco, and not supporting Waterstone's or another dedicated book shop, but another part of me is going "Yay! Cheap books!!"

That's a great deal! Our supermarkets don't sell many books, and when they do it's normally for pretty standard prices. I can understand your duality, but in this economic times I think there's nothing wrong with you picking up those books from the supermarket for once.

I'm have about 125 pages left in Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde, hope to finish today as a treat for a big test this afternoon, or finish tomorrow, on a rest day.

I hope the rest of it is good :).

I'm re-reading Paper Towns by John Green, in honor of the upcoming film. It's such a quoteable book. Here's one of my (spoilerless!) favourites:

"Getting you to prom is so hard that the hypothetical idea itself is used to cut diamonds."

There isn't a teenager (and few adults!) on the planet as insightful and witty as any of John Green's characters, but I love to read them all the same.

I'm simultaneously reading The Rest Of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness, despite seeing lukewarm reviews on Goodreads. It's not really doing much for me, and I think it may soon be time to concede that I don't actually like Patrick Ness at all, I just happen to like A Monster Calls.

I'm glad you're enjoying your re-read of Paper Towns :). I have A Monster Calls on my TBR, so hopefully I'll like it. It's a shame you aren't liking The Rest Of Us Just Live Here.

I'm pretty far into Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void, I should have it finished *maybe* later today.

Started reading Letters to a Young Poet (Penguin Classics) by Rainer Maria Rilke - and it's so good that I am kicking myself for not having read it years earlier  :banghead:

Hmm, so I should bump it up my TBR pile then? :)

I'm still making my way through the delightful Go Set a Watchman, and I've also started the second Flavia de Luce book.

Hmm, so I should bump it up my TBR pile then? :)

I'm still making my way through the delightful Go Set a Watchman, and I've also started the second Flavia de Luce book.

How far are you into Watchman? I hope you enjoy the second Flavia de Luce book as much as I did. I will start my 6th Flavia book probably after I finish Nightingale.

:cry: Did you stop reading Jasper Fforde. The Kazam series is pretty good, especially the 3rd book.

I only have the first one.  It was good, but I preferred all his adult books more than this one.  I'm sure I'll get to the others at some point, but I've got plenty of other books I need to read first.

Started Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamond Lehmann today

Woohoo!  More praise.  I must read this soon, I even own it!

Yeah you do! You own it, so have no excuses for not picking it up now :giggle: 

So glad you enjoyed it! :)

Me too, as I've heard so many members praise the novel! :) 

I've just finished it. It was incredible. I've given it 10/10. I'll post more extensive thoughts later. :)

I'm happy you loved it! :smile2: And I've been reading the thread re: the book, and wanted give you huggles  :empathy:   because you've felt the negativity. 

I'm on page 150 or something of Never Look Away and I have to say it's started rather slow... It's not bad by any means but I expected more action and sooner. 

I've just finished it. It was incredible. I've given it 10/10. I'll post more extensive thoughts later. :)

I am looking forward to reading this, but I'm waiting for the paperback. I have no issues with Atticus Finch being a bit "different" than what was portrayed in TKAM. I prefer my heroes to be flawed. I will take Batman over Superman any day. :D

I decided on Endangered Species, short stories by Gene Wolfe, instead of The Book of the New Sun.

Ahhhh, Mr. Wolfe.

I love the puzzles that your writing poses, but you frustrate me when I can't figure all of it out. I've only read the first story so far, I've re-read, deciphered some of it, but I'm still grasping for all the answers. I think I will always have a love/hate relationship with you and your subtle clues and unreliable narrators. :banghead:

Whew! Whipped through a number of Kindle Samples before settling on my first ever Philippa Gregory novel, White Queen (The Cousins War Series Book 1). I am going in to it against my will however, I have always avoided her work. I guess I avoid historical fiction altogether :blush2: Anyway, don't tell, but I am secretly liking it already :D I hope they aren't catching because I believe there are 6 of them. :o

Edited by Anna Begins

Whew! Whipped through a number of Kindle Samples before settling on my first ever Philippa Gregory novel, White Queen (The Cousins War Series Book 1). I am going in to it against my will however, I have always avoided her work. I guess I avoid historical fiction altogether :blush2: Anyway, don't tell, but I am secretly liking it already :D I hope they aren't catching because I believe there are 6 of them. :o

I don't generally like historical fiction, either, but I LOVE Philippa Gregory. I have all of her adult novels. I didn't expect to like her work, either, but so far I have not been disappointed by anything I have read by her.

You have been warned. :P

Edited by alicedrinkwater

Currently reading Once There Was A War by John Steinbeck.  It's a collection of his wartime reports from Europe for American newspapers in the summer and autumn of 1943.  The first part sees him in England, and is proving a fascinating insight into the country at that time, as seen by an outsider.  I've struggled to get into a rhythm of reading this book, which is a shame as it's really well written. To some extent, it strikes me as better for dipping into, with its series of (very) short essays, rather than reading as one continous narrative, but am going to try and sit down and give it a real go later today.

Edited by willoyd

Finished Are You Watching Me? by Sinead Crowley, very good read. Nothing too thrilling for a thriller, but solidly enjoyable and authentically Irish, which I do enjoy reading :lol:

Also just finished my re-read of the amazing Paper Towns by John Green. Such a fantastic book. I don't think I know any other book that has made me laugh so much, or that is so immensely quotable.

Not sure what I'll read next!

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this morning, and have picked up Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. This was a book jar selection, which I have been kind of dreading. But I managed to do a bit of reading at the beach this afternoon and I think it's going to be a very interesting read.

I don't generally like historical fiction, either, but I LOVE Philippa Gregory. I have all of her adult novels. I didn't expect to like her work, either, but so far I have not been disappointed by anything I have read by her.

You have been warned. :P

Thanks for the warning :giggle2: Have you read The Cousins War/ White Queen series?  I am curious if they are all about Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville.  I guess King's Curse is the latest one?  I am afraid to read the synopsis for fear of reading something I don't want to know!