Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

I love deals like that! I hope you enjoy all three books :D! I've read one free short story by Murakami and own a couple of his books, unread (though I don't own that one) and I also own Nineteen Minutes but I haven't read it yet (I hope to do so later this year).

I hope I enjoy all three, too. :giggle2:  Which Murakami do you have? If you have Kafka on the Shore, read it. It's excellent!

Nineteen Minutes will be my next Jodi Picoult read, later this year as well.

I think Nineteen Minutes will be my next Picoult, in a few months.  I've only read Plain Truth, but was really impressed when I read it earlier this year.  I read her short story Color War and was less impressed, but I liked Plain Truth so much, I'd definitely give more of hers a try. 

See above. :D

Out of interest, did you read A Wild Sheep Chase first?

No. I have heard that Dance Dance Dance is a sequel to that one, but I just finished it and I had no trouble following the book, so I guess it's not necessary to read A Wild Sheep Chase first. :smile:

We could read it together perhaps, if we both want to read it around the same time :)?

Maybe all three of us could read Nineteen Minutes at the same time. ;)

In other news, I finished Dance Dance Dance by Murakami and will be starting on Godbody by Theodore Sturgeon very soon. :readingtwo:

Edited by alicedrinkwater

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New bookcase has arrived, books are in their new home and the Book Box has selected The Snow Angel by Lulu Taylor as my next read. Happy days! :)

Yay! for new bookcases, always exciting! :D

I've just finished Station Eleven. :thud: That was so stunningly good.... :thud:

BB, On your earlier post/recommendation I took another look at Station Eleven.  I'd been on the fence about it for a while. 

I'm 67% through it, and loving it!  Thanks! :flowers2:

I read three or four of his books back then:  The Satan Bug, When Eight Bells Toll, Where Eagles Dare and I'm sure there was another one, too, but I can't remember which one :unsure:  Anyway, I'm enjoying HMS Ulysses a lot.  It's making me feel very cold!

I've only read one of MacLean's.....Ice Station Zebra.  And, only that because I saw the film with the wonderful Patrick McGoohan.  I'll definitely have to read more.  :)

Looking forward to finding out what you think of it!

Will do, Karsa!  Have you read?  I read in the acknowledgements that Steven Spielberg will be doing a film of Ready Player One, which is very exciting!! :D

I forgot to mention earlier that my sister went on a recent raid of old paperbacks at her local used book store and gave me Ruggles of Red Gap by Harry Leon Wilson.  

ha ha I know the feeling, I am out now for two weeks.    Enjoy the Howey :)

Thanks, Anna. :smile:  My studying has gone downhill since I postponed my exams. I've lost all sense of urgency about it now. :lol:

I've thought a might have a look at Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Glad that you are hooked too  :smile:

Ooh, I hope you enjoy it.

BB, On your earlier post/recommendation I took another look at Station Eleven.  I'd been on the fence about it for a while. 

I'm 67% through it, and loving it!  Thanks! :flowers2:

A book we both love??? No....it can't be! :giggle2::P Glad you are enjoying it. There are some sections towards the end that are just so evocative. It's completely different from a typical post-apocalyptic story, isn't it?

No. I have heard that Dance Dance Dance is a sequel to that one, but I just finished it and I had no trouble following the book, so I guess it's not necessary to read A Wild Sheep Chase first. :smile:

Good-ho!  I didn't know if you knew or not! (Sheep Chase is also very good, btw!).

Have finished the wonderful Before They Are Hanged, the second book in Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.   I want to savour the last book with these fantastic characters, so I'm just taking a break to read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.  I've always meant to read it.  Oh, my.........  It's compelling, but the part I've just read almost had me giving up.  I will stick with it though as I hope it will explain just why Bateman has become what he is!

I have just started reading American Psycho, like Mistress Gwynn I always meant to read it, I'm 34% of the way through and I'm not sure what I make of it. I find the dialogue in places a little hard to follow and the constant descriptions of people's clothing is a little too much for me (not sure if that is a silly thing to have found difficult about it! So far at least) but completely agree that it is very compelling (I've just got past the first section that I found to be quite disturbing) and I still fully intend to get to the end but just wondering if anyone else has read it and how you found it?

I just finished book #6 of the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Time for a little break as there are only two current books left for me to read in this wonderful series.

I am starting a re-read of the great Cormac McCarthy book "All The Pretty Horses". It has been quite a few years since the first read of it. In my opinion Cormac may be one of the greatest living authors.

I finished Philippa Gregory's The Red Queen tonight and now I don't know what is next!  Have started Brave New World and Lawrence Rees' Hitler's Charisma but I don't know if any of those will stick.  I still have Girl on the Train and Holes on my kindle unread... on Monday (payday) I will start Gregory's Lady of the Rivers (book 3).

Edited by Anna Begins

Will do, Karsa!  Have you read? 

No, I haven't bought it as yet.  Some of the reviews have been a bit discouraging so I was waiting in the hope they'd balance out a bit :lol:

This morning I've made a start on Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End.  Forty pages in and hooked already.

I finished The Snow Angel by Lulu Taylor in the early hours, a new author for me, a nice easy read, set in the 1960's and current day, both settings tied neatly together at the end even though I had pretty much guessed the outcome. :)

Finished The Door That Led To Where by Sally Gardner. Meh. She's able to write but the story was convoluted and largely underwhelming. I've heard it's not the best of her work though, and her writing would lead me to try others by her.

Not sure what's up next, but I'd love to pack another book in before Friday as that'll be 13 books read this month, a monthly record for the year so far!

Following that is going to be difficult, but I'm going to start with The Shipping News, and see how that goes.

Well, it went amazingly well: one of those books where you want to read every word, and don't want it to end. No idea what to follow it with - doubly hard after these two.  It'll also be my 40th book of the year, the first time I've reached this landmark before October!

I think I'm enjoying the second Wool book (Shift) more than the first one! :boogie:

Woohoo!  I am so glad to hear this!  I can't wait to read Wool, I am a huge Howey fan and hope to read some of his short stories during the next read a thon.

I settled on Holes by Louis Sachar, started it last night in bed.  Already liking Stanley's no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather  :P

This morning I've made a start on Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End.  Forty pages in and hooked already.

I have this one, and a few other Vernor Vinge novels, but I keep not picking any of them up. I would love hear your thoughts when finished.

I finished Godbody by Theodore Sturgeon and plan on starting The Doll by Daphne Du Maurier.

Started reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride but I think I'm gonna give up on it about a third of the way in. It started out great, but... meh. It's not what I expected, I don't care about a lot of the characters, and her use of Irish is annoying me because the spellings are wrong and honestly I know 'Taoiseach' literally means chief, but it's what we call our Prime Minister so unless your werewolf pack is run by a Prime Minister, it sounds weird to an Irish person.

Might try Holly Black's Doll Bones, short, I and know I like her writing.

:lol: Glad you're enjoying Holes! :D

I enjoyed it, it was good!  Those types of books always remind me of Lord of the Flies though. 

Now I am on to (thanks mom!) The Lady of the Rivers, Philippa Gregory's 3rd book in the Cousins War series :wub:

I hope I enjoy all three, too. :giggle2:  Which Murakami do you have? If you have Kafka on the Shore, read it. It's excellent!

Nineteen Minutes will be my next Jodi Picoult read, later this year as well.

I have Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84 and The Elephant Vanishes.

The three of us could read Nineteen Minutes together, if you like? I don't know if you like that sort of thing, all reading the book around the same time, or whether you prefer to just read it when you feel like it. It's what the 'Group Reads' subforum is for, so we could do that some time later in the year if you and Anna want to?

I'm currently reading Jaclyn Moriarty - Ashbury / Brookfield 2: 3 Meiden & de Liefde (Finding Cassie Crazy), I finished book 1 recently and will post the review in my thread soon. So far I'm finding book 2 better than book 1 (they can easily be read as standalone stories, it's just that the books feature the same two schools).

I have this one, and a few other Vernor Vinge novels, but I keep not picking any of them up.

Which other ones do you have?  I've read all of his novels, apart from Rainbows End (until now, anyway), so may be able to help :smile:

I finished H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald - and then I realised I'd also got her Falcon on my shelves too, which I enjoyed a few years ago.

HIFH is much more than a memoir about training a gos, however.  It deals with the author's depression following the death of her father, and both this part of the book and the hawk-training were very enjoyable; having gone through several close family bereavements in my time, I could truly empathise.  Where the book dragged, I felt, was in her ruminations about T.H. White, the author of The Once and Future King who had written down his own memoir about hawk-training.  I found this to be intrusive and it broke the narrative in places.  But all in all I enjoyed the book.

I then went on to Marc Morris' The Norman Conquest.  I haven't read any history for a while - the scholarship has changed somewhat since my day and I get tired of the same old hamfisted political agendas.  Therefore, it was nice to find out that Morris is a pragmatist and just puts his evidence forth without twisting facts to fit a theory.  I really loved this one, and have ordered his volumes on King John and Edward I on the strength of it.  I've also breezed through Michael Wood's In Search of the Dark Ages since I was last here.  Woody is always entertaining and I'd missed this one first time round.

Inevitably, all this Anglo-Saxon and Norman history made me want to re-read my Bernard Cornwells, so I've dived into The Last Kingdom again after many years.  It's like soaking in a warm bath.  Love it.  Even though this series does start to get repetitive after a while, revisiting young Uhtred is a joy.