Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

I'm moving along nicely in The Red Queen, and read the Sample/ first short story in Alice Munro's Selected Stories 1968- 1994.

I really want to read some more Philippa Gregory soon, but I also have so many other books I want to read.

I wish I could read 5 books simultaneously.  :giggle2: 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a real blast from the past. Like you, it must be at least the early 80s since I read any Maclean, but I remember thinking that HMS Ulysses was one of his best, if not the best, and I read a fair few of them at the time! Hope time hasn't told!

I read three or four of his books back then:  The Satan Bug, When Eight Bells Toll, Where Eagles Dare and I'm sure there was another one, too, but I can't remember which one :unsure:  Anyway, I'm enjoying HMS Ulysses a lot.  It's making me feel very cold!

I may just have bought the first couple of Winston Graham's Poldark books in today's Daily Deal.

I

Go on! You know you want to.....!  :giggle2:

I really enjoyed Instructions for a Heatwave. I wouldn't say it was my favourite O'Farrell, but it's up near the top.

I've had it for a while...Kay sent me it so feel I shouldn't be too rude and leave it any longer...

Different in a good way: I expected it to hardish going and with its feet firmly placed in the mis-lit genre. In fact, I've ripped through it, and finished it this morning. A superb read - quirky, humorous, whilst still not ducking some darker moments.  Her intercutting with fairy stories was interestingly challenging - not sure quite how they were all meant to work, but they got me thinking.  In fact, a complete revelation! Following that is going to be difficult, but I'm going to start with The Shipping News, and see how that goes.

I liked it too .. wasn't so sure about the fairy stories .. but everything else I loved. Hope you get on well with The Shipping News .. another book I absolutely adored :blush2: 

Reading Mrs Tim of the Regiment by D.E. Stevenson .. another book jar pick. One of the Bloomsbury Group books. It's good and readable but not gripping .. just a gentle read but, though I'm enjoying it, it's not unputdownable  .. so I've been putting it down :D  :D   

Diana .. never feel pressurised to read a book I've sent. I'd be the last to think you should :D xx That said, if you have started it, hope you enjoy it xx :hug:

I've read 120 pages of Longbourn today, after re-watching the BBC Pride & Prejudice mini-series last night. Just 70 pages to go! It has taken me longer to get through this book than any other this year - even though I'm really enjoying it, the prose is just so much more dense than anything else I've read. I may or may not try finish it tonight.

Still enjoying The Name Of The Star, too. It's probably just my imagination because I know they are friends, but I really feel there are touches of John Green's writing style in it! I'm not that far into yet, I've been focusing on Longbourn.

I'm going to get back on to Guns, Germs and Steel, but have picked my next fiction read out of the book jar. It's The Legend of Ellie Quinn by Alex Scarrow. No idea what it's about, but I must have bought it for a reason. I've also picked another book out of the jar. This one is another non-fiction: An Illustrated History of England by John Burke. So that's my next few reads sorted! :D

I've just started to read John Flanagan - De Grijze Jager 2: De Brandende Brug (Ranger's Apprentice 2: The Burning Bridge from the omnibus John Flanagan - De Grijze Jager 1-2: De Ruïnes van Gorlan, De Brandende Brug (Ranger's Apprentice 1-2: The Ruins of Gorlan, The Burning Bridge) (I've already read book 1, in English, a few months ago). I've only read the prologue so far (that was yesterday), but the ending of the prologue immediately got me interested in the rest of the story.

I purchased three books today. They were buy two, get the third one FREE from Books-A-Million so I couldn't resist. :D

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami

The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (I didn't already have this one for some reason) :o

I am already a fan of Haruki Murakami and Jodi Picoult (even though Leaving Time wasn't a favorite), so of course I had to pick up their books. I don't know anything about Rene Denfeld but the book looks fascinating.

Edited by alicedrinkwater

I purchased three books today. They were buy two, get the third one FREE from Books-A-Million so I couldn't resist. :D

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (I didn't already have this one for some reason) :o

I am already a fan of Haruki Murakami and Jodi Picoult (even though Leaving Time wasn't a favorite), so of course I had to pick up their books. I don't know anything about Rene Denfeld but the book looks fascinating.

I love deals like that! I hope you enjoy all three books :D! I've read one free short story by Murakami and own a couple of his books, unread (though I don't own that one) and I also own Nineteen Minutes but I haven't read it yet (I hope to do so later this year).

Stop it!  :P   :lol:

I know, right??  :giggle2:

I think Nineteen Minutes will be my next Picoult, in a few months.  I've only read Plain Truth, but was really impressed when I read it earlier this year.  I read her short story Color War and was less impressed, but I liked Plain Truth so much, I'd definitely give more of hers a try. 

Well, it would be remiss for me to not pass on my enthusiastic recommendations! :lol:

:giggle2:

My history final is today, then I've got a nice two weeks to read all I want, when I want, before fall semester.  The Red Queen is so good, I will definitely be spending more time with it today after the exam, as well as finishing BBC History magazine, their article in remembrance of Hiroshima.

I ended up reading nothing yesterday, as got caught up in some work on my website, so have only been able to read more of 2am at The Cat's Pajama's during my lunch break today, and yet again, ran out of time with just 8 pages left!!!!!! Will finish it of in a moment. :lol:

In tears, I finished Ordinary Grace this morning.  Very emotional but honestly one of the best books I've read this year.  I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.  It's by William Kent Krueger and simply amazing.

Next I'll be starting Armada by Ernest Cline.  Definitely a lighter read and one for which I cannot wait!

Finished Longbourn, which was an absolute delight through and through, and also The Name of the Star, which started out great but which went downhill to about a 3.5 rating by the end. Not sure I'll bother with the rest of the series.

Not sure what's up next!

Changed my mind...instead of starting The Legend of Ellie Quinn, I've picked up the second book in Hugh Howey's Dust trilogy. But what I really need to do is put that down and pick up my textbooks. :lol:

ha ha I know the feeling, I am out now for two weeks.    Enjoy the Howey :)

I think Nineteen Minutes will be my next Picoult, in a few months.  I've only read Plain Truth, but was really impressed when I read it earlier this year.  I read her short story Color War and was less impressed, but I liked Plain Truth so much, I'd definitely give more of hers a try.

We could read it together perhaps, if we both want to read it around the same time :)?

My history final is today, then I've got a nice two weeks to read all I want, when I want, before fall semester.  The Red Queen is so good, I will definitely be spending more time with it today after the exam, as well as finishing BBC History magazine, their article in remembrance of Hiroshima.

I hope you will be reading some nice books (and the magazine) :)!

Next I'll be starting Armada by Ernest Cline.  Definitely a lighter read and one for which I cannot wait!

I hope you enjoy this :)!

Looking forward to finding out what you think of it!

I've got about 150 pages left to go in HMS Ulysses.  Reading it last night, something happened that actually made me gasp and say, out loud, 'Oh no!'.  Can't remember the last time that happened  :smile:

I'm taking a break from The Hound of the Baskervilles and reading Nana by Emile Zola. I'm really enjoying it so far! :)

Oh good, I'm happy that you are enjoying Zola's Nana  :smile: . I haven't actually read Nana yet, but I loved L'Assommoir, which featured Nana in her early years. 

I've picked up a book to read alongside Guns, Germs and Steel, and have gone with Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Whoa.....what a brilliant opening couple of chapters. I'm hooked!! :readingtwo:

I've thought a might have a look at Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Glad that you are hooked too  :smile:

My reading mojo is very keen, but for some odd reason, the actual reading rate is poor - I'm reading as a slug with a gammy leg !!  :D  :giggle: . Enjoying Barbara Cleverly's The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands #1) and Angela Thirkell's The Brandons (Barsetshire #7) a lot though.  :smile:

I'm also re-reading Half of the Human Race by Anthony Quinn - well not really 'reading' this time, but listening to the audiobook  :smile: