Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

I'm taking a break from North and South (don't get my wrong...I'm loving it), and reading The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart, supposedly the "American Agatha Christie." It's fabulous...I got halfway through just yesterday, and I'm hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy. I'm most of the way through the first book as of this morning, and plan to start watching the tv show too. Loving the book so far, even if I do take issue with a couple of small events.

Ooh, that's interesting - I've done it the opposite way around - I'm watching the tv show and considering reading the books :D

I read the trilogy last year, and loved it.  Haven't seen the TV show yet.  I'm waiting for it to hit Netfilx (hopefully).

That's cool, I've got that on the back, back burner as I saw part of the show and didn't like it (sorry Steve lol).  

:lol:  It's far from the greatest thing I've ever seen but it's reasonably enjoyable  :smile:

I'm about 200 pages through The Hunt now.

:lol:  It's far from the greatest thing I've ever seen but it's reasonably enjoyable  :smile:

Most of what I've heard about it is that it is like Twin Peaks... that I am unsure of as that was just a few years ahead of me.

I am 150 pages into Brandon Sanderson's Firefight (The Reckoners) book 2.

I read the trilogy last year, and loved it.  Haven't seen the TV show yet.  I'm waiting for it to hit Netfilx (hopefully).

I'm glad you liked the whole trilogy, having finished book 1 I can easily see myself not liking the rest of the series because it could go in any direction.

The acting is pretty horrendous at times but I'm enjoying it and how it differs (quite significantly by episode 4) from the books :) I'm pretty okay with Matt Dillon's face, too. :lol:

Most of what I've heard about it is that it is like Twin Peaks... that I am unsure of as that was just a few years ahead of me.

The author mentions his love of Twin Peaks being an inspiration behind it, but I know nothing about Twin Peaks so I can't comment.

I love the maid - Molly (I think that's her name, can't remember :blush2: ). She's hilariously ditsy. :D

I think he rationed her appearances well in the first two books, but in this one there's far too much of her, to the point where she stops being funny and starts being a bit annoying :shrug:

Needed some light reading while I'm on a lot of work trips this month so picked up The Life and Death of Charlie St Cloud which was a little saccharine for my tastes.

Now racing through A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor, which is the second in the St Mary's series.

Still reading Broken Skin...haven't picked this up in a while. Also about half way through 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton....it is a big read though...why did I pick that one?

I read a couple of cracking books over the weekend - In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll and The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow, both middle grade books, so aimed at 9-13 year olds, but both lovely books.

Didn't do any reading over the last couple of days, but today have made a good dent in The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements, which matched the sunny lunchtime reading perfectly. :D

Been browsing through the Kindle Summer Sale books, and have found quite a few on my wish list, and also a few that I've read in paperback that I might get ebooks of … couldn't resist Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.  I know it's my fourth copy of it, but it's the first ebook, and I'll always have it with me on my Kindle now, but it's my favourite book ever, so justified I think! :lol:

Read some of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase last night - I'm really enjoying the book, but my mind wanders so often at the moment, that this slim-ish book seems to be an age to read :sarcastic: .  

Now racing through A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor, which is the second in the St Mary's series.

Ooh, is it as good as the first one?

Also about half way through 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton....it is a big read though...why did I pick that one?

Yeah, but it's worth it. I remember whizzing through it because I was enjoying it so much.

Towards the end of Beowulf's Children. Definitely not as good as The Legacy of Heorot.

Ooh, is it as good as the first one?.

Not quite as good as the first I don't think but it's still great - I keep reading for five minutes only to look up and find 50 pages have gone by :giggle2:

I love the world she's created and I already want to go straight on to book 3 but I think I shall savour them - there's a couple of "between the books" short stories too.

I finished The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop at lunchtime.  Lovely entertaining read, perfect for a hot summers day … would love to try the peppermint and orange sorbet she makes in the shop! :D

Great to hear this :)! I have the book on my shelf. 

Started Catherine Ryan Hyde's Take Me With You.  And let me just say, how refreshing to get a good read after a disappointing one.  CRH is so reliable.

I'm glad you're liking this book better, I hope you enjoy it all the way through :). CRH is great!

I'm not yet reading a new book but my next read will be Walter Moers - Zamonië 3: Rumo & De Wonderen in het Donker (Rumo & die Wunder im Dunkeln). After that I have another book by him, and then that's my library loans finished. I will then start on Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void (before I forget what's happened). That's the plan at least.

Have finished the wonderful Before They Are Hanged, the second book in Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.   I want to savour the last book with these fantastic characters, so I'm just taking a break to read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.  I've always meant to read it.  Oh, my.........  It's compelling, but the part I've just read almost had me giving up.  I will stick with it though as I hope it will explain just why Bateman has become what he is!

Finished Joan Aiken's The Wolves of Willoughby Chase - I would give a 5 out of 6 rate  :smile: . A young girls book, but I loved it really, and it was well written.

Will read Paper Town by John Green  :smile: , and the prologue was gripping!

Great to hear this :)! I have the book on my shelf.

I don't think you do. This is the follow up to Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop which is the book I think you have.

I'm starting Campari For Breakfast by Sara Crowe today … at least I will when the tennis is over! :D

I'm not yet reading a new book but my next read will be Walter Moers - Zamonië 3: Rumo & De Wonderen in het Donker (Rumo & die Wunder im Dunkeln). After that I have another book by him, and then that's my library loans finished.

Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think. :D

I've read a little more of The Winter Queen. It's getting really good (actually, it's maintained a high standard from the beginning) but I have so little time for reading at the moment. :(