Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

Yikes! We've officially started the second half of the year! What bookish activity have you been up to?

I finished Tales of Terror from the Black Ship by Chris Priestley yesterday. It was an excellent and creepy read.  :hide:

Last night/this morning, I started reading The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin. Looks like it's going to be great!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I can hardly believe it! I finished John Flanagan - Broederband 4: De Slaven van Socorro (Brotherband 4: Slaves of Socorro), which was nice but since a week-ish I haven't really felt like reading much. I'm planning to take a break for two days so that then hopefully I'll feel like reading during the read-a-thon which starts this Friday. Fingers crossed.

I've been cataloguing some of the children's books I found up the attic, I'm making progress with it though it is taking a bit of time (but it's mainly fun :) ).

I was going to make a start on Beowulf's Children, but I got distracted by The Silence by Tim Lebbon.  Nearly missed my stop on the tube this morning because of it  :doh:  :lol:

Last night/this morning, I started reading The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin. Looks like it's going to be great!

Oooh, exciting!! I hope you'll enjoy it :smile2: 

So happy that you liked it through and through!! :smile2: I bet you'd love Sachar's other novels, too :yes: I know what you mean about not being in the right frame of mind to read more serious books, I'm struggling with the same thing. Isn't it wonderful how there's so much to literature, that we can pick a genre that will suit our mojos better?  :friends3:    :readingtwo:

Which other books of Sachar's do you recommend?Are there more of the same junior school age ones? There seems to be quite a few of his books in the library junior fiction, so

I thought I will probably request some more soon. It is that sort of genre that keeps me going with my reading mojo at the moment. Good to see that your reading mojo is good too :D

I'd recommend all the ones that I've read, and that is The Boy Who Lost His Face (that's for kids just like There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom) and also Holes, which is to a slightly older audience. The characters in that book are 15-19yo or so. Both are very good books! Coincidentally I went to the library today and borrowed Sachar's Small Steps :) 

I'm still reading Fredrik Backman's book on Britt-Marie and absolutely loving it :smile2: 

Hi there! :006:

I've had such a busy time.. but I never quit reading. I read the complete Outlander series, written by Diana Gabaldon and I re-read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. For my book club I have to to start The Count of Montecristo.. but it's too hot for a book like this at the moment! :blush2:

Hi Ele!! :smile2: Knock knock.... :D Happy to hear you've still had time to read even though you've been busy otherwise. I hope you will like The Count of Monte Cristo. It's one of those books I keep thinking I should read soonish... It's supposed to be good. I think :D 

Hi there! :006:

I've had such a busy time.. but I never quit reading. I read the complete Outlander series, written by Diana Gabaldon and I re-read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. For my book club I have to to start The Count of Montecristo.. but it's too hot for a book like this at the moment! :blush2:

Hey Ele :006:! Did you enjoy the Outlander series? I was planning on starting it later this year. I hope you enjoy The Count of Monte Cristo. It is hot here too (though probably not as hot as in Italy).

I'm going to finish Shirley by Charlotte Bronte tonight, after which, I'm not 100% decided. Maybe a re-read of Mrs. Dalloway or one of the 100 books I've never read that are staring at me from my bookcase.

I was going to make a start on Beowulf's Children, but I got distracted by The Silence by Tim Lebbon. Nearly missed my stop on the tube this morning because of it :doh::lol:

Definitely the hallmark of a good book, that :lol:

I'm battling through the last 50 pages of Tinker, Tailor... I know it's one you're supposed to love but man it's been a struggle.

I am almost 400 pages into Ken Follett's World Without End, nearly 50%!!

Woohoo, well done :)!

I wasn't going to start a book before the read-a-thon but I found myself being a bit too tired to do much else yesterday, so I read a few pages of Ann M. Martin - BabySitters Club 2: Joke en de Akelige Telefoontjes (Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls), which I planned to start for the read-a-thon. I don't know how much I'll read in it today, we'll see as I might catalogue some books too. It's too hot to do much at all to be honest.

Finished Shirley (that book always gives me the warm and fuzzies!), and now I've decided to read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's just a free Kindle copy, so there are some formatting issues, but I'm really liking it so far! :)

I can't remember the last time I updated what I've read recently, but I think since the last time I posted, I've probably only read the rest of the St Clare series by Enid Blyton.

I have also had a couple of pre-ordered books delivered (The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements and In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll) and managed to get a copy of a book I've been looking out for, for a while (The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine).

I can't remember the last time I updated what I've read recently, but I think since the last time I posted, I've probably only read the rest of the St Clare series by Enid Blyton.

I have also had a couple of pre-ordered books delivered (The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements and In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll) and managed to get a copy of a book I've been looking out for, for a while (The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine).

You've read ALL of the St Clare's books Claire? I know they're only little but it still took me two months or more :D :D :lol: Glad you got hold of a copy of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow :) That's you, Janet and me :D  

I'm frightened that one of you will read it first and say it's pants!! :lol: I'll have to get my finger out!  :blush2: 

Still listening to Death Descends on Saturn Villa and still not enjoying it :( Very disappointed so far but the reviews are good so  :shrug: (it's not you it's me :lol:

Reading The Goddess of Buttercups and Daisies by Martin Millar lent to me by lovely Claire :hug: .. getting more and more into it with every turn of the page :smile:  

I started reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Have very high expectations :D

:exc: :exc: :exc: I looooooved that book, dodgy ending and all. Hope you enjoy it, it's a very divisive one!

I finished Mind Games by Teri Terry. Tad unpolished, but despite a lot of poor reviews amidst the rave ones, I thought it was pretty great.

Not sure what to read next, must browse my tablet-library!

I have also had a couple of pre-ordered books delivered (The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements and In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll) and managed to get a copy of a book I've been looking out for, for a while (The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine).

I'm waiting for the Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop too Claire, the synopsis really appealed and I had vouchers to use!! :)

I'm currently reading Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline and lovely everything about it.

You've read ALL of the St Clare's books Claire? I know they're only little but it still took me two months or more :D :D :lol:

Yes, but I've read the last four all in a row, with nothing else in between! Now need to diversify and find another world to inhabit ;)

Glad you got hold of a copy of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow :) That's you, Janet and me :D  

I'm frightened that one of you will read it first and say it's pants!! :lol: I'll have to get my finger out!  :blush2: 

I bought it because Robin Stevens recommended it, and we love her books, so I'm sure it'll be good :D

Reading The Goddess of Buttercups and Daisies by Martin Millar lent to me by lovely Claire :hug: .. getting more and more into it with every turn of the page :smile:  

I'm glad your enjoying it, I thought it was just something a bit different really. :)

I'm waiting for the Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop too Claire, the synopsis really appealed and I had vouchers to use!! :)

I'm probably going to read it in a couple of books time … seems like the weather is dictating that I eat some ice cream as a side dish! :lol:

This morning, I'm going to start In Darkling Wood.

Oh dear!  :unsure:  :D 

Yes! Be afraid, be very afraid! :lol: :lol: 

:exc: :exc: :exc: I looooooved that book, dodgy ending and all. Hope you enjoy it, it's a very divisive one!

At first I read 'doggy ending' and thought, ooh, are there dogs?! And then I thought, I probably don't want there to be dogs because what if they get killed, the book being a thriller and all.  :hide:  :D 

It's going good so far. :)