The David Gemmell Awards for Fantasy 2015

Signor Finzione

Fantasy fans . . . it's that time of year again!

The final shortlists have been announced and voting is now open until Friday 17th July.  

What are the awards?

The David Gemmell Awards is an annual event that recognises outstanding achievements in fantasy fiction.

The purpose of the awards is to raise awareness of the fantasy genre, celebrate the cultural importance of fantasy literature, reward excellence in the field, and commemorate the legacy of David Gemmell and his contribution to the fantasy genre. You can visit the website here.

There have been some awesome winners since the awards began in 2009, including Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Brent Weeks, Mark Lawrence, and Andrzej Sapkowski.

The awards are comprised of three categories:

The Ravenheart award for Best Cover Art

The Morningstar award for Best Debut

The Legend award for Best Novel

This year's awards

The final shortlists have been announced as follows:

Legend Award
(Best novel)

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie (HarperCollins)

Valour by John Gwynne (Pan Macmillan/Tor UK)

Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence (HarperCollins)

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Gollancz)

The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks (Orbit)

Morningstar Award
(Best debut novel)

Traitor’s Blade by Sebastien de Castell (Jo Fletcher Books)

The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley (Angry Robot)

The Godless by Ben Peek (Pan Macmillan/Tor UK)

The Emperor’s Blades by Brian Staveley (Pan Macmillan/Tor UK)

Age of Iron by Angus Watson (Orbit)

Ravenheart Award
(Best cover art)

Laura Brett for The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Mike Bryan for Half a King

Jason Chan for Prince of Fools

Sam Green for Words of Radiance

Jackie Morris for The Fool’s Assassin

***You can vote by clicking here.***

So, has anyone read any of the books on the shortlists? Are there any authors/books you think should have made the shortlist but didn't? Who will you be voting for?

The winners will be announced on Saturday 8th August 2015. :)

I've voted for:

Best novel - Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence

Best debut - The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley

Best cover art - Half a King by Joe Abercrombie/Mike Bryan

I feel a bit guilty for not giving Abercrombie my vote in the Legend category - apparently he's been nominated 4 times but has never won!

I'd vote for Abercrombie on principle.  Anything to stop Sanderson winning  :banghead:   And because I haven't read any of the others  :giggle2:  

:lol: That's because you haven't read Prince of Fools yet! (Why haven't you read it yet???) :giggle2:

I haven't read any of them, but I voted for two of the categories (I mean, we can all admire cover art, right :D).

Damn right we can! And it's so pretty. :wub: I was torn between the first three, especially as they're all great books as well. :D

Much as I love the new Hobb cover designs, this particular one has a bit of a dodgy colour scheme in my opinion. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I'd vote for Abercrombie on principle.  Anything to stop Sanderson winning  :banghead:   And because I haven't read any of the others  :giggle2:  

You're not going to be very happy . . .

The winners are:

RAVENHEART AWARD (Best cover art) Sam Green for Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Gollancz)

MORNINGSTAR AWARD (Best debut) The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley (Pan Macmillan/Tor UK)

LEGEND AWARD (Best novel) Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Gollancz)

This is the second time Sanderson has won the Legend award: he also won in 2011 for The Way of Kings.

I still haven't read anything by Sanderson, but Staveley totally deserves the award for Best Debut. The Emperor's Blades was great. :)

Woohoo for Sanderson winning! I haven't read Words of Radiance yet, but I'm currently enjoying Mistborn (book 1). Sorry for the people who don't like him, though. I like his work a lot, he's one of my favourite fantasy authors (of which there are quite a few).

Woohoo for Sanderson winning! I haven't read Words of Radiance yet, but I'm currently enjoying Mistborn (book 1). Sorry for the people who don't like him, though. I like his work a lot, he's one of my favourite fantasy authors (of which there are quite a few).

Ooh maybe I'll try Mistborn soon too, then we can compare thoughts. :)

It would be interesting to see your 'top 10' authors for each genre. Maybe at the end of the year you should do your own awards. :D

Edited by Signor Finzione

Ooh maybe I'll try Mistborn soon too, then we can compare thoughts. :)

It would be interesting to see your 'top 10' authors for each genre. Maybe at the end of the year you should do your own awards. :D

Sure, I'd be happy to do that :). I hope you enjoy it!

That sounds like a great idea :D. I might have to keep that in mind :)!