Tennis

supergran71

Well done Jamie Murray and John Peers :cows:

Yip....come on the doubles. I sooooo hope they can pull out a win, they have played great matches and put out previous winners. Wonder if Andy will sneek in and watch his big brother.

Shame the womans final couldn't get to a 3 setter. Would have liked Serana have had to fight it out....she does annoy me.....! Garbine Muguruza did so well to break her in first couple of games. I was getting so fed up of Inverdale, McEnroe and Davenport commentating.....good god there was another girl actually on court playing you know...it was just all about Serana and her bloomin record attempts. Nearly put the telly on mute at one point.

Gutted Murray couldn't get a set off Fed yesterday, but when he is playing like that nobody has a chance...(maybe not even Djokovic tomorrow...!)

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hate when it is quite one sided final. I'm sure tomorrow's men final will be a longer match....hope it goes to at least 4 sets (or Fed wins in 3, if not). Just waiting for the men's doubles final now.

Sorry Brian, I will take issue with that. I have had my fill of sport's stars that have egos as big as their drug habits.

Politeness is something that should be taught to all athletes. :)

Having an ego and having a drug habit don't go hand in hand. The 'flawed genius' is part and parcel of many sports and they are the athletes that tend to attract the biggest crowds. For example, Ali had a huge ego and the way he treated Joe Frazier was pretty disgraceful but that doesn't stop millions of people all over the world being huge fans of his. When I mentioned "even the ones who are not the nicest people in the world" that wasn't a blanket excuse for bad behaviour, there are regulations and punishment in sport but being stroppy shouldn't be punished. It must get hugely frustrating being made to answer the same questions over and over again, especially when you have just finished competing. Journalists often know what buttons to push to get a reaction as well.

There are exceptions of course.  :D

A bit of a contradiction there considering Kimi is well known for swearing during interviews when he knows he's on live TV.

The Davis cup matches have been brilliant .. what an atmosphere. Tough for Andy though .. as we rely on him so much. Be good to have two decent singles players .. two top-tenners! We're in danger of wearing him out! :lol:

I too watched the Davis cup over the weekend...awesome games. Loved the doubles......not the Bryan Bros, but the Murray Bros... :D Thought out Mr Andy have lost it though in his final game...what an athlete to dig deep and actually come out and win it. I was tired for him...so emotional at the end and such a relief for him and the team...bring on the semi finals...they have done so well to get there. Wonder if they will go back to Glasgow for it?

Joe Frazier was our third cousin. He was a gentle man. It was his upbringing. He never felt the need to be as cocky as Ali and that made Ali feel like he could talk to and about him the way he did.

I think when athletes embark on a career in sports training should be devoted sportsmanship.

• 1 month later...

He's incredible. Can't help but feel for Federer, though, if only he would've taken more of those break points. I think he's still capable of competing at the highest level - and he'll reach more grand slam finals - but the problem is Novak is just too good. Wonderful talent and surely has another few years left at the top of the game.

Davis Cup starts tomorrow...come on Team GB/Scotland...( ;) ). Hope they can get the wins against the Oz. Hope the atmosphere at Glasgow is as good it was v USA...it will surely help carry them over the line.

Fab singles match from our Mr Andy Murray yesterday...outstanding play. But wow.....what a doubles match today...they did so well. Bring on tomorrow for Andy in the singles game at 1pm...woop...nearly there to get us to the finals.

what a weekend of tennis, so glad that we won and have got to the final of the Davis Cup.  I felt so sorry for poor Andy he was absolutely shattered.  I have just heard on the radio that he is not going to play in the end of year tennis tournament so that he can get some practice in for the final which could be played on a clay court.

Oh dear he could be in trouble as it is mandatory that you turn up for the end of year tennis tour where the top 8 players play each other.

Lets hope to get him out of trouble the tournament in Belgium is played on an indoor hard court.

We won't be winning any finals without him at any rate. On a lighter note, the doubles was FAB. Murray's game against Tomic had an air of inevitability about it, but that doubles match was wonderful - so many ups and downs, at times I could hardly watch! :lol:

Ben I went through so many emotions watching that doubles match, it was definitely thrilling edge of the seat game, it would have been easier for me to play the match myself, but then we would definitely lost.

• 8 months later...

Fantastic tennis final today at Queen's with Andy Murray and Milos Raonic...could have gone any way at one point. Great achievement Andy being the first to win this 5 times...great stuff.

I thought it was a good match as well Inver.  I agree with Andy you never know what is going to happen.  But finally we have someone that has beaten all the greats of the game, and he smiled.

• 2 weeks later...

I do love the summer and all the sport you get to see.  When it is not raining of course.  Will have to play catch up though this week and next week as out and about so much.  Didn't plan that one very well did I.