Tennis

supergran71

Yay!! Very happy for Petra .. she was outstanding and seems a lovely girl too. The crowd were disappointed not to see something more competitive (and disappointed in general I think as Eugenie is such a favourite) but when a player is on top of her game  ... there's little anyone can do about it. Mac was wondering if Petra had the game to trouble Eugenie .. I think she answered that with bells on :D 

Somehow think tomorrows final will be tighter .. but you never know. 

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry, I jinx him enough :D

Been following him since 2009 so I like to think I liked him before it was cool. ;)

I do admire Federer though. It's Nadal and Murray I struggle with!

We can't help having our favourites .. that's the way it is :D

At the beginning I found it difficult to warm to Andy but then realised he's just a bit shy when it comes to interviews etc .. and he isn't at all humourless .. or not imo anyway. I like his style of play too, last years final was just a joy .. like two gladiators going head to head .. all out combat. I used to love Roger and still admire his tennis enormously .. there is no-one half so beautiful to watch on the men's side. But .. somewhere along the line .. humble Roger turned into arrogant Roger .. or so it seems to me. Rafa I like off court but find difficult to warm to on. I can't deal with all that fiddling about between serves and then he growls about like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Also I think he uses gamesmanship .. but then Roger does too. Novak is a bit of a grumpy boots on court ... clearly hates the crowd being against him .. but I love the way he plays and I like his personality off court as he's a bit of a nutcase.

I hope Roger just wears his tennis outfit tomorrow when he comes on court ... but I'm guessing he's got a special tracksuit in his holdall and poor old Novak may well be forced to watch him parade in it :lurker:  :D  But then .. Stefan Edberg has done wonders and he may well have told him to ditch the ostentation. I didn't jinx Petra so fingers crossed. Hope it's competitive anyway .. give the crowd something to get their teeth into. Roger will be the crowd favourite.

Sue will be wanting Rog to win too ... she has a hot flush whenever he's mentioned  :D 

I actually don't care who wins....not bothered about either of them...as you say Kay they have good/bad points...but both can play tennis a wee bit... :D  Shame to see the Brits went out of the mixed double to.. :blush2: 

Boooooooo!!

:giggle2:

Oh she played brilliantly .. you have to admit it! Outstanding tennis .. and all the better as they really were hyping Bouchard up pre match .. nearly all of the pundits went for her and thought Kvitova would choke.

The lady was not for choking :D

Very, very, sweet girl too.

What is it you don't like? Is it the bandage?  :D 

I agree about Nadal's endless fiddling between points - annoys the hell out of me, especially if I can't devote enough time to the match! :D

I see a Federer win today, although I will be hoping for the opposite. Crowd likely to favour Federer, which will any Novak, who hasn't been playing to his best this tournament anyway.

Oh she played brilliantly .. you have to admit it! Outstanding tennis .. and all the better as they really were hyping Bouchard up pre match .. nearly all of the pundits went for her and thought Kvitova would choke.

The lady was not for choking :D

Very, very, sweet girl too.

What is it you don't like? Is it the bandage?  :D 

Oh I don't dislike her at all, I just wanted to see someone new win.  If anything I don't particularly like Bouchard, not because of Laura (couldn't give two hoots about that silliness!) but because I still haven't forgiven her for knocking out my Ana last year :irked:  :lol:   She didn't live up to the hype though, and it made for a pretty tedious final.  I ended up only half watching the second set and reading my book instead :lol:   At least last year I had Lisicki's on-court meltdown to keep me entertained :giggle2:

I probably won't watch the men's final, but I'm not viewing it as Federer v Djokovic, I'm viewing it as Edberg vs Becker.  Serve and volley - now those were the days when I really enjoyed Wimbledon :D

Oh I don't dislike her at all, I just wanted to see someone new win.  If anything I don't particularly like Bouchard, not because of Laura (couldn't give two hoots about that silliness!) but because I still haven't forgiven her for knocking out my Ana last year :irked:  :lol:   She didn't live up to the hype though, and it made for a pretty tedious final.  I ended up only half watching the second set and reading my book instead :lol:   At least last year I had Lisicki's on-court meltdown to keep me entertained :giggle2:

I probably won't watch the men's final, but I'm not viewing it as Federer v Djokovic, I'm viewing it as Edberg vs Becker.  Serve and volley - now those were the days when I really enjoyed Wimbledon :D

Bouchard is just too brash for me. Wouldn't shake the hand of her opponent in the Fed cup because 'why would I wish her luck' and told Chris Evert on their first meeting that all the cameras would be on her (Bouchard.) I know you have to be single minded and confident to succeed but others manage to do this without being ungracious. Also .. it's not nice of her to dump a childhood friend like that or demand coaching preferences. That put Laura on the spot. I'd love it if Laura could beat her in the future but looks like she's getting ahead. You can't really blame her for knocking Ana out though ... nearly everyone has at some point  :P

Well done Novak  :smile: ... could have gone either way but I think he was the dominant player. Wish the crowd wouldn't be quite so partisan ... both yesterday and today. Both winners got fairly lukewarm receptions which isn't very sporting. When it's a Brit then it's bound to be that way (same as in the other slams .. you expect the crowd to champion their own) but I was embarrassed when they barely applauded good shots etc. I'm glad I was saved from the tracksuit :D

Sad it's over again. Will be lost without it for a while. The weather wasn't too bad again ... only a couple of blips.

Becker doesn't look well these days .. too much good living I fear.

You can't really blame her for knocking Ana out though ... nearly everyone has at some point  :P

:lol:  True, true.  Mind you, I reckon even Ana could've beaten her the way she played in the final :rolleyes:  :lol:

:lol:  True, true.  Mind you, I reckon even Ana could've beaten her the way she played in the final :rolleyes:   :lol:

Ah ... opportunities missed .. must be frustrating but then I believe it was more that Petra hardly put a foot wrong on Saturday. I don't think there's many that could've stayed with her. 

Forgot to say how enjoyable the 'Pop-Socs' were ... very exciting stuff. Hope they keep going together though I think Pop or Posp has his sights set on singles.

I believe it was more that Petra hardly put a foot wrong on Saturday. I don't think there's many that could've stayed with her. 

Possibly, but I don't think there's much doubt that a more experienced and better player would've had the nouse to change tactics as soon as they realised plan 'A' wasn't working.  Bouchard had nothing.  Not saying Kvitova wouldn't have won anyway, but it must be far easier not to put a foot wrong if there's zero challenge coming back from the other side of the net.

The highlight of the tournament for me was seeing the Bahrami/Leconte vs McNamara/McNamee game the other night.  Brilliant stuff, as usual  :D

Think it was a case of over confidence. It'll do her good and no doubt we'll be seeing more of her.

Love those Bahrami/Leconte Mcnamara/McNamee doubles ... so entertaining and quality stuff. Doubles don't seem to feature as much now .. on TV I mean .. there was always a good evening doubles match on back in the day but they didn't show them much this time. And so poorly attended a lot of the time too .. annoying. Perhaps people who had tickets spent their time on the hill but you would think there was a way of getting more people in .. when it's only quarter capacity. Not many singles players play doubles now either which is a shame (unless they have to in Fed cup etc.) Laver, McEnroe, Edberg, Connors, Nastase, King, Wade, Evert, Goolagong, Navratilova, Novotna .. all regularly played doubles back in the 'good old days' 

Pics of the Wibledon Winners Ball now out .. haven't seen Sock and Pospisil .. I wonder if they went?  I very much like the topiary :D

Loved Marion Bartolli's comments about the trophy. She says she looks at her replica trophy every morning and it's like the sun shining on her  :smile: 

post-5612-0-39576300-1404739913_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-55709000-1404739923_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there any need for it? Settled down to watch some tennis on the opening day of Wimbledon and after just four games had to turn her off. Every single shot was accompanied by an ear-splitting scream/grunt. Ridiculous! :7_mad:

Edited by chesilbeach
Merged with existing Tennis thread

I don't .. I blame her :D Other players .. coached by the same people .. don't make that noise!!

I can't watch any of the grunters .. after five mins it does my head in.

Anyway .. come on Petra!! Would love for her to win again. Early days so might also be rooting for others like Sabine. Depends on how far they go.

Andy gave us the normal nail chewing start :D Having just watched Roger and Rafa sail through their matches .. it was a bit annoying to have to suffer a tight match. Still .. he won .. that's the main thing :cows:   

I don't .. I blame her :D Other players .. coached by the same people .. don't make that noise!!

Yeah, it's probably down to her.  Do you remember if she made the noise when she first appeared on the scene?

ETA: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/02/maria-sharapova-surprisingly-is-against-grunting-in-tennis/

" The four-time grand slam winner told Reuters her grunts were a habit formed when she first started playing tennis."

Edited by Karsa Orlong