Tennis

supergran71

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you think it's the best slam? I think Wimbledon would be awesome to go too, minus the rain delays. And AO, as well. minus the heat. :welcome: But yes, RG would be awesome to go to.

Its just a personal thing really. Ever since I was a young kid I have always loved clay court tennis. When I was a junior I was dreadful on clay. The kids I would beat on the hard courts would whip me, I just became intrigued by how different it was. I have always liked the clay courters as well, back through the years.

Ahh, well fair enough. I didn't even KNOW about clay courts till like, a few years ago. :welcome: I thought there were only grass and hardcourts. Besides, I was never really into tennis back then. My dad tried to get me into it though, but I just sucked real big.

I was just so hopeless on the clay! LOL, I remember I found it so difficult to move on the stuff. The first tournament I played on it I was around 12/13, and I remember getting out there and just thinking to myself "what the **** is this?" I couldn't run or anything. I hadn't been taught to slide so changing direction was a nightmare. I got better over the years but I still took several whippings on it.

ROFL, Fair enough. It LOOKS hard, but Rafa and all those other clay courters make it look so easy. I mean, they just slide and glide and run around without effort. Damn them and their...professionalis..m..?

Yeah, it is a joke how well they move on the clay. The clay we have out here is actually more difficult to move on than European clay as it is more grainy and has less purchase. Some of those guys are so athletic that they can effectively slid on the hard courts. Now that is ridiculous.

Jaysus chroist. Well, I guess they had like, all their life to practise, plus most of them grew up on clay courts, ay. But DUDE. Sliding on hardcourts. Unbelievable. When I look at the footwork of the great players, it's almost ridiculous. How can they do that while also keeping their eyes on the ball and returning it?!

Jaysus chroist. Well, I guess they had like, all their life to practise, plus most of them grew up on clay courts, ay. But DUDE. Sliding on hardcourts. Unbelievable. When I look at the footwork of the great players, it's almost ridiculous. How can they do that while also keeping their eyes on the ball and returning it?!

Yeah, they are incredible. I think it is watching them hit up that is the most ridiculous. Last time I was at the open we saw Ferrer hitting up with Garcia-Lopez on an outside court and they were just belting the cover off the ball. It was a joke. They were having these brutal 30, 40 and 50 shot rallies one after the other.

Growing up on the clay is a massive advantage. Moving on the surface is just so different to moving on hardcourt. You feel like you have no stability and changing direction when you are on the run just seems impossible.

Yeah, they are incredible. I think it is watching them hit up that is the most ridiculous. Last time I was at the open we saw Ferrer hitting up with Garcia-Lopez on an outside court and they were just belting the cover off the ball. It was a joke. They were having these brutal 30, 40 and 50 shot rallies one after the other.

Jaysus! You serious?! That is outrage. This was on hardcourt, yes?

Oh well, at least both of them have like, 8 days rest for RG.

I take that back. I COMPLETELY forgot about Paris. make that a few days rest til Paris and then after that just a few days rest too til FO. Jeez, tight schedule, ay.

I've never been on a clay surface before, so I wouldn't know. Is it like... slidy? :welcome:

Jaysus! You serious?! That is outrage. This was on hardcourt, yes?

I take that back. I COMPLETELY forgot about Paris. make that a few days rest til Paris and then after that just a few days rest too til FO. Jeez, tight schedule, ay.

I've never been on a clay surface before, so I wouldn't know. Is it like... slidy? :welcome:

Yeah it was on hardcourt. The Europeans are the best to watch practice, they just belt the cover off it. We didn't get to see the guys like Rafa hitting though, either they train off-site or the crowds are just too big to get near them.

The big guys aren't playing Paris though are they? Usually they go straight to Paris and practice for the week. I think the French actually starts this Sunday as well doesn't it?

Clay just feels really really funny. I had been playing tennis since I was about 4 years old, always on the same surface, then I got chucked out on this dirt stuff and it didn't even feel like the same sport!

It seems the Europeans are the best players, yeah. MOST players on the top 10 right now are Europeans, aren't they?... I think.. Actually, I have no idea.

Yes, it starts on the 24th, yeah. And isn't Paris like... some sort of exhibition or something? I went to the site and it says it's only going for two days anyway, and that Fed, Rafa, Monfils and other people are attending. Not sure though.

Oh well.

LOL Dirt stuff. I remember we had them back in the Philippines, I thought it was sand or something, it was weird. Well, it was definitely not hardcourt, and it wasn't that orangey red that clay is, so I'm still not sure. :welcome::smile2:

And isn't Paris like... some sort of exhibition or something? I went to the site and it says it's only going for two days anyway, and that Fed, Rafa, Monfils and other people are attending. Not sure though.

Yup, it's an exhibition which goes on for 3 days. And it's a stupid one too. There are only 12 players going on there and each one are gonna play like, one match, wtf. Apparently they're divided into two teams or something...I dunno. It's pretty pointless.

Draw for RG is coming out tomorrow!

Phew...that was a bit of a comeback then by Andy Murray to go 2-1 up on Starace!!

Murray just won. He did look in trouble there for a while but he managed to turn it around.

Didn't he just Dan.....just seemed to find another gear there and whoosh took over again. Well done Andy.:smile2:

Starace was playing at a very high level there about an hour. It was always pretty unlikely that he was going to be able to sustain that.

Still, Andy looks average on the clay. He doesn't get the pace of it he likes to work with and his movement is nowhere near as good as it is on the other surfaces.

Federer got a bit of a scare last night. Acasuso was hitting the ball tremendously for a good set and a half and should have won the third, but Federer came back from 5-1 down to win it in a tie-breaker and then take the fourth 6-2.

Safin played what will almost definately be his last match at the French.

I can imagine the poor racket being slammed on the ground. :smile2: Ah well.

Acasuso was hitting the ball tremendously for a good set and a half and should have won the third, but Federer came back from 5-1 down to win it in a tie-breaker and then take the fourth 6-2.

Federer always comes back.

Hewitt vs Rafa is up tonight! *cheers* I looked at the TV Guide, hoping NINE Will show it, but I don't think so *cries*

It's an Aussie playing here! Show some patriotism! (even though I'm going for the other dude, but whatever)

I can imagine the poor racket being slammed on the ground. :smile2: Ah well.

Federer always comes back.

Hewitt vs Rafa is up tonight! *cheers* I looked at the TV Guide, hoping NINE Will show it, but I don't think so *cries*

It's an Aussie playing here! Show some patriotism! (even though I'm going for the other dude, but whatever)

Haha yeah, there is no way Nine will show that.

I am going for Lleyt but Rafa will kill him. I could never go against Hewitt.

Yeah, I guess I should start showing some patriotism of my own. :D I always seem to go for Spanish players, they're just so awesome! Ferrer lost against Soderling though :smile2: Ah well.

And yes, they didn't show it *cries even more* But hey.. At least they're showing highlights, that ought to count as something. Hopefully they'll show the final. Fingers crossed! (damn you and your foxtel!! /shakesfist)

Yeah, I guess I should start showing some patriotism of my own. :D I always seem to go for Spanish players, they're just so awesome! Ferrer lost against Soderling though :smile2: Ah well.

And yes, they didn't show it *cries even more* But hey.. At least they're showing highlights, that ought to count as something. Hopefully they'll show the final. Fingers crossed! (damn you and your foxtel!! /shakesfist)

Haha, I would be bitter as well if I was you.

Ferrer just isn't the player he used to be. I don't know what happened to him but he lost something and hasn't been able to get it back.

Incredible results at the French last night.

Rafa received a lesson from Soderling. It was a pretty incredible match. I went to bed after the third but it was pretty clear Rafa was going to get beaten. He just wasn't hitting through the ball as well as usual and Soderling was doing a great job of standing up in the court and really taking it to Nadal. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa had a very quiet second half of the year. He has been off the pace a little the last month or so and I don't expect him to do very well at Wimbeldon or the US.

Verdasco got thrashed by Davydenko as well. I did not predict that. Fernando has been playing great tennis lately and Davydenko is still on the way back from a very lengthy injury layoff. It was a very easy win though, 2, 2 and 4 or something like that.

Murray and Gonzalez both had easy straight set wins and will play each other in the quarters tomorrow night. That should be a great match.

It is going to be really interesting to see who will win it from here. If I had to pick right now it would probably be Gonzalez. I have seen him play a few matches this week and he has been brutal. Still, it is wide open for sure now. Roger will probably never get a better chance than this to do the career Slam.

I was so...shocked. I was in denial

:)

I went to bed after the third set too, I still had faith though. I was sure he'd show Soderling who's King of Clay, I was so sure...I could not believe it. Rafa lost, after four years? Well, it had to happen, ay. (but why so early?) Ah well... I'll get over it...

I have faith for him though, for Wimby and for US. He has time to rest this time, get Queens over with, then prepare for Wimby, ay.

I also expected Nando to win, he has been playing awesome tennis, he rose to the top ten, ay. I don't know now who will win. All my fave players lost already :D Maybe Gonzo, yes. Maybe Fed too. Maybe Del Popo... I dunno.