Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

Athena

This is a difficult question perhaps, but how do you see yourself 10 years from now? What do you think will be going on in your life then? And is that what you'd ideally like or where would you like to see yourself in 10 years time? Something to ponder, I think :).

Probably 6 feet under. That though is not where I would like to see myself. :) I would like to see myself sitting on our porch swing, enjoying the breeze, observing the flowers , shrubs, etc and reading a good book on the porch.

In 10 years I'll be 49 which is extremely depressing. :hide:

Where I'd like to be is a bit more financially secure, still married, living in a more rural area, with a couple of more labradors.  :D  Assuming I haven't won the lottery, I hope to be working in a job that is interesting enough to keep me going, but doesn't take over my time when I'm not at work.  I think I'll have more free time as well, and would like to do a lot more walking and hiking, and get back into astronomy and some astrophotography. I like the simple life with no drama, and with plenty of leisure time. :readingtwo:

I hope to be in some kind of permanent , decent paying minion job that doesn't stress me out too much. Something in mindless admin. I've never had a job like that, and I've also never had job stability, so that's my biggest hope. I'm not going to say aim, because I'm not sure I even see it happening, but it's my biggest hope.

I would like to be earning enough to rent a house by myself (or maybe with one other person I got on with), which allows pets, so that I could get a dog and a cat, and to be slowly ticking things off my bucket list.

I think that's it really, quiet life for me!

I'd like to be in a job I enjoy, in a house that's comfortable, with a car that is reliable, surrounded by books, going on vacations...and eating pizza every other day.

Well, now George Clooney has taken himself off the market  :cry: hopefully enjoying spoiling some Grandchildren with my hubby and visiting the places on my Bucket List.

Given the length of the average Hollywood wedding, he'll probably be back on the market!

I'll be 55 in 10 years time. That is very depressing, but hopefully the kids will be all grown up (23 & 20) and happy with whatever they are doing. I'll be satisfied with being healthy & happy. I won't go any more specific than that, as life has a tendency to throw curve balls at you, I've found!

I'm aiming for healthy and happy for myself and those I love. I'l be closing in on 60 by then (I'm 48 this year), and my son will be 40, so maybe a grandchild might be on the scene. 

I also see books in my future, the tree and kindle kind. They are my past and my present, so I can get away with saying future too. If I'm still around, many books will  also be.  :D

p.s Will everyone please stop saying how depressing getting older is for them? :P There really is only one alternative to ageing, so the older I manage to healthily get the happier I'll be. Also, getting older is fab in so many ways that you cannot even imagine yet, you darned youngsters!  :giggle2:

Hear hear Chrissy. I'll be 51 in 10 years and I don't feel depressed about it at all! People are like wine. We improve with age  :wine:  :D

I'd like to see myself growing more into the kind of person I'd like to be and get even more comfortable in my own skin - which is something that has been happening as I've grown older.

I'd like to be in my own house, with a chunk of the mortgage paid off, a cat or two, a novel or two published and to have left the rat race or changed careers into something I can see myself doing until I retire. I don't see me doing my current job until I'm 67! It's far too stressful!

I'm single at the moment and currently liking it that way so whether there'll be anyone sharing that future - hmm, well we'll see :P

I'm aiming for healthy and happy for myself and those I love. I'l be closing in on 60 by then (I'm 48 this year), and my son will be 40, so maybe a grandchild might be on the scene.

p.s Will everyone please stop saying how depressing getting older is for them? :P There really is only one alternative to ageing, so the older I manage to healthily get the happier I'll be. Also, getting older is fab in so many ways that you cannot even imagine yet, you darned youngsters! :giggle2:

I agree with you wholeheartedly!! These young whipper snappers...... *rolls eyes* Seriously kids, I feel pretty much when I was 30s, 40s, so expect my 50 and 60s the same (with more rolling my eyes at younger people ;) )

In 10 years, if I am still alive (hopefully), I will be 60 and will be.....Well, who knows? I don't think much of "what will be", as life is very fragile and can change in an instant.

Edited by Marie H

Well then, I suppose my plan is to do my utmost to feel as good as possible in ten years time.

Seriously, life does improve when you're in your 30s. If we are both fortunate to be alive then, we then, we can discuss this then ;)

In ten years time I will be approaching my 49th birthday (how weird does that sound?!). Xan will be 16 (almost 17!) and only a couple of years off finishing school - he will have just finished his exams, and Josh will be 11 (coming up on his 12th birthday!) and almost finished his final year of primary school.

By then, I would love to be a teaching assistant. I plan to retrain once Josh is in full time education, and it'll take a couple of years to complete the courses. I'd love to get a position at the school Xan is at (I'm a parent governor there at the moment). Of course, before i do that, I will have to learn to drive, or I won't be able to actually get to my classes to retrain.

I would like to have several foreign holidays with the kids under our belts by that point too. Dale has never yet left the UK, and I haven't been abroad since the September before we got together (which will be 16 years this September - OMGs!). I really miss the adventure of exploring different countries and cultures, and hope my kids will have the opportunity to develop that same love for discovery and experiences.

I've shed 40lbs this year so far, and have another 50 or so I want shot of. Obviously, I would prefer it didn't take 10 years to get there, and I hope I will have kept the weight off. When I hit my goal weight, I intend to look into the possibility of getting a tummy tuck, as the overhang from my two emergency c-sections is one thing I cannot get rid of with diet and exercise. I might even have had laser eye surgery by then to do away with the necessity of glasses or contact lenses.

By that time, the house will be almost half paid off, and the solar panels will have been paid off so we'll be actually making money off them. And with me in work again, we'll have a bit more cash to spare for little luxuries and holidays. All told, I think ten years from now will be pretty rosy. :)

I'm 27 and endlessly complain about getting old. In my defence, I *feel* 17. So I'm 10 years behind. I do not know how to adult.

I think we all do that - I don't feel any different in my head now than when I was 18 - so I occasionally get a shock when I look in the mirror!

As for "doing adult", I've given up up that as a bad job!

I think we all do that - I don't feel any different in my head now than when I was 18 - so I occasionally get a shock when I look in the mirror!

As for "doing adult", I've given up up that as a bad job!

See, you say that, but I see lots of people who say they don't adult, adulting :lol: Like, a girl I went to school with got married on Saturday. I have a 24 year old cousin who is married with a house, two cars (her and husband) and three kids. I still struggle with the concept of a committed relationship, because I don't feel grown-up enough to be in one. I've never had a loan or financial debt/responsibility of any kind, because I do everything I can to avoid it (including further education!) I don't have a 'career' or proper grown-up job - I bounce from job to job with extended periods of unemployment. I basically act like a teenager!

Years ago I saw an Anne Bancroft interviewed (in her 70's) She was only 36 when she starred in The Graduate but felt old and past her best. She said she wished she had realised then how young and beautiful she was instead of wasting time feeling depressed about getting old. I try to remember that every time I have a 'moment' about my age. 

and eating pizza every other day.

:lol:

In ten years my children will be 26 and 21, so maybe I'll have a bit more time to myself... :) Or, maybe they'll still be at home, handing me their washing, and demanding dinner! ;)

That's what my Mum was doing for me when I was 26. ;) (That's the age I moved out of home.)

Would it be totally boring if I said I don't see my life changing much in the next 10 years? But I'm OK with that. I have a job that I absolutely love because it allows me to work from home, spend time with my cat and have a fair amount of leisure time. The job itself is cool too. :)

I'll be 43 and probably single—perhaps through choice, perhaps not. I'm pretty happy being single at the moment (except for the occasional moment like this morning, when I was trying to move a fridge by myself). The longer I live alone, the more I seem to like it, so I'll probably stay single.

I'll have at least one more cat. Probably two. :) Preferably a calico cat and...dunno...maybe a black and white kitty. And I'll have a bunny.

I should have paid off my mortgage by then, so I'll be a bit more financially secure. Actually, I have no intention of living where I currently am for another 10 years, and if I move it will be to a cheaper place, so hopefully my mortgage will be gone much sooner! I hope to be living in a more rural area in the next 10 years and planning (if not already built) a special library that's separate to my house (i.e., probably just a big shed :P). If my mortgage is paid off, I'll actually have some disposable income (wow, foreign concept), so I'll be travelling overseas to visit my friends.

My book collection will undoubtedly be larger, but hopefully not by much!  :hide:

I hope to be living in a more rural area in the next 10 years and planning (if not already built) a special library that's separate to my house (i.e., probably just a big shed :P).

That sounds brilliant! As does having more cats :).

I don't know how I'll be doing in ten years. I'd hope I'd be less tired and able to do more, maybe even have some kind of job or volunteer work. I plan to be renting my own place by then, but honestly I don't quite see that happen yet as with my current finances (two people living off my benefits) it is not possible. So by then I'd hope my boyfriend is able to have a job so we have some more money as finances are pretty tight.

Ideally I'd love to live in a house we own (my boyfriend and I), with a garden, and a dog. But that isn't possible (I'd settle for a cat too if it wasn't for my allergies, I cannot have a cat in the house). The house would be near my parents house. I would have lost some weight, both of us would, and we'd be in better shape. I would have a big room for my books.

But we might still be living here, though hopefully we can at least rent our own place. I don't know, 10 years ago I was 19 and had just started studying Chemistry. That seems ages ago! I doubt I'll change that much personality-wise, but then again I was a bit different when I was 19, so who knows :).

Life's Ways

No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Now, at later age,

I realize that I have lived my life incrementally, not knowing the future,

with only general thoughts at each step of the way;

As a child, with my parent's encouragement, and not knowing why,

I only knew that doing well at school was a good thing,

So I tried;

Through college years I studied and worked hard,

without clear ideas of what my chosen profession would be like; but I persisted,

and became an electrical engineer;

I sharpened my technical skills as well as I could along the way,

and had my reward, by rising in my career

further than I had expected.

I enjoyed work and expected that I would work for my entire life;

but then retirement age came, and I was retired,

even though I would have preferred otherwise.

But, professionally, things worked out

better than I had been able to imagine.

And my personal life too followed a path I could not have predicted

As a child I did not know what marriage meant,

except for the good examples seen in my own family and among my family's friends;

I had no imagination of whether marriage would happen to me, or not.

Later, in early teen years, I still did not understand

how I would find love and what marriage would mean;

yet, during college, I did find love and marry;

Still, with no understanding of what parenting and family would mean,

we had our first wonderful child;

and then we had three more.

Having seen unhappy marriages, I resolved

that I would be happily married forever;

but my marriage failed, and I felt the shame of divorce.

For many years I had no interest in remarrying;

once was enough for me for such heartache.

I never thought I would find an attractive and lovely wife and partner again,

yet it happened; and I have again found happiness,

in a new life and in a wonderful second marriage.

On balance, I would do it all again.

So, the next ten years? Who knows?

Lately, my joints have started aching . . .

Edited by Paul

Thank you very much, and most sincerely, Chrissy and Athena, for your kind reactions.

Somehow, now looking back, it seems so much clearer than when I was in the thick of it. :D

Edited by Paul