The Journal of a Disappointed Man

Angury

I don't normally create a thread for a book I've just read, but I just had to find out if anyone else had read this phenomenal book.

For those who haven't heard of it, it is a diary written by a young man from 1913-1917 and follows his dreams of becoming a naturalist and a journalist, as well as his battles with his constant ill-health which eventually take over more and more of his writing as he finds out he suffers from MS. He died when he was 30, and the book is filled with his thoughts about life, death and everything in between.

I'm not one for autobiographies, but this is an exception. My copy is full of sentences underlined and words encircled - the way he describes day-to-day life is refreshing. Some of the paragraphs are so beautifully written, I've just had to make a note of them. There are some examples on the Goodreads website here:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...sappointed-man

Has anyone else been lucky enough to read this book? If so, what were your thoughts?

And if not, you must run out and buy a copy immediately! (I almost feel like ending this post with a small note to state there are no conflicts of interest ).

This book sounds intriguing to me! I haven't read it, or even heard of it until now, but this is definitely going on my wishlist!! :)

Great to hear I've managed to convince you both. Regardless of your favourite genres, I think this book will stand out to you guys. If you have faced any hardships in your life - basically if you've lived - then I think this book will really touch you. It's been described as a classic that has been forgotten in the modern age, and I absolutely agree with this.