Italian author Elena Ferrante stays in shadows despite prize nomination

chesilbeach

Italian author Elena Ferrante stays in shadows despite prize nomination

I thought this article was really interesting.  Although I don't think she's been mentioned on the forum, I know other people who love her books, and there was also a piece on Open Book about her books not that long ago.  It seems almost unbelievable that an author could stay anonymous in these times, so you can tell how important it must be to her, and her writing process.  It also says a lot about her books, as with such a vast amount of books to choose from, the books must really sell themselves based on their on merits.

• 1 year later...

Very late to this piece of news, but I think that's brilliant :smile2: I very much admire the author for doing that. I hate public speaking so if I ever wrote a book, I'd love to stay anonymous :D Even though that normally doesn't sell books... 

(The second novel in the Neapolitan Novels series keeps coming up wherever I go these days so I fancied doing a search on the author on this forum and that's how I came to find this thread. Has anyone read any books by her? I'm tempted to try one.)

• 3 years later...

I "read" until book 3, I am actually listening to them as audiobooks. I am borrowing them from the library so I have to wait for 2 weeks until I can listen to the 4th one. I love these books, I really wish I knew someone with whom I could discuss these books. They feel very real in particular in how complex emotions and relationships can be and how hard it is to escape cycles of violence