The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

hume

I'm with Univerze. If I thought a book could be read only for the plot, then I wouldn't be rereading the Wheel of time for the 4th (?) time.

I loved the children's version I had when I was 9ish. I have to get the unabridged version someday soon... but like I said elsewhere, I have never seen this book in a bookshop. (!)

See, I don't agree with people thinking like this. If this would be the case, one would rarely ever re-read a book. The story has been told a million times, and for that reason alone, this book IS worth reading. To see what the original story is like, not the changes and interpretations all those other mediums you talk about have made. This is one of the stories I have read, because I wanted to see what the original was like.. and I did like it, wasn't quite what I expected, I think I thought it would be more horrific, but it was just slightly creepy. Plus, it was quite short, not a bad thing necessarily though. Think I might want to go do a re-read some day, because it's been years since I have read this one and am a little hazy about what I exactly thought of it. :roll:

I totally agree with you. I just finished reading J&H last night, reading it because I was interested to see what the original story was. I was very surprised. It wasn't as gruesome and gory as I expected at all, but still had the dark creepiness I was hoping for. It definately wasn't what I was expecting after seeing a lot of the adaptations. I was one of those people who thought, why read it when I know the story? I'm glad I found out for myself in the end. :)

• 2 years later...

I have just finished 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' and I really didn't enjoy this. I suppose it didn't help that I knew what was going to happen in the story, but I found that the almost rambling writing was unable to hold my attention at all.

What I did find interesting however, was the idea that the human mind contains so many complexities and that no human can be deemed as good or evil, but there are both sides to all of us. It was also interesting that the book introduces the idea of obsession within the human mind.

I'm glad that I have read this novel, but I don't think I will re-read this.

• 3 years later...

This is one of my favourite books from this genre.  I love the descriptions of Victorian London and the mystery that develops throughout the novel.

The characterisation of Utterson is fantastic and links to the undercurrents of respectability, reputation and social class which were so essential to life in the Victorian era, although it seems little has changed since then!

The freedom Dr Jekyll experiences as Hyde is ultimately the psychologically thrilling aspect of the book.  This allows us to question whether we truly know those around us!!!

I would recommend this, for anyone who hasn't read it.