The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Vorkosigan Saga is a multi-award-winning series of interlinked novels and novellas, most of which feature the lead protagonist Miles Vorkosigan, although a few have used other characters' points of view.  They often cross genres, from adventures to thrillers to mysteries.  They concentrate on great characters and are not heavy on the science (I'd class them as 'light' SF), although the subject matter often revolves around something of a medical nature - cloning, bioengineering etc (Miles himself was born with disabilities) - and there's usually a good mixture of humour, action, and a bit of romance. 

I've been slowly working my way through this series over the past year or so and have been enjoying it a lot, but my posts about it have so far been scattered about in my reading logs, so I thought I'd start a thread for it and gather them all together in one place.  So here goes!

This is a list of the 'Vorkosigan Saga' novels and novellas (in italics).  This list shows the books in the series internal chronological order, rather than publication order, with the applicable omnibus edition shown in brackets. 

Falling Free   (Miles, Mutants & Microbes) - Nebula Award Winner for Best Novel
Shards of Honor   (Cordelia’s Honor)
Barrayar   (Cordelia’s Honor) -
Hugo and Locus Award Winner for Best Novel
The Warrior's Apprentice   (Young Miles)
"The Mountains of Mourning"   (Young Miles) - Hugo and Nebula Award Winner for Best Novella
The Vor Game   (Young Miles) - Hugo Award Winner for Best Novel
Cetaganda   (Miles, Mystery & Mayhem)
Ethan of Athos   (Miles, Mystery & Mayhem)
"Labyrinth"   (Miles, Mystery & Mayhem)
"The Borders of Infinity"   (Miles Errant)
Brothers in Arms   (Miles Errant)
Mirror Dance   (Miles Errant) - Hugo and Locus Award Winner for Best Novel
Memory
Komarr   (Miles in Love)
A Civil Campaign   (Miles in Love)
"Winterfair Gifts"   (Miles in Love)
Diplomatic Immunity   (Miles, Mutants & Microbes)
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
CryoBurn

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen coming in 2016

:lol:  Well I think the only one of those that I've read so far that can't be read in isolation is Memory.  I think Bujold's done a pretty good job of keeping the stories in the other novels self-contained, although obviously there are character threads that crop up from book to book.  I reckon the Young Miles omnibus is a pretty good place to start, as it contains two of the best stories (The Warrior's Apprentice and The Mountains of Mourning novella) and introduces Miles for the first time.  If you like those then Brothers in Arms and Mirror Dance are, I think, pretty essential to get the most from Memory  :smile:    

I own Shards of Honor as an ebook, but I haven't read it yet. Great idea for a thread! I got the e-book when I bought a collection of e-books, at the time I didn't know much about this author. I hope to read it one day, though since I'm a bigger fan of paperbooks it doesn't have the biggest priority :blush2:. But I'm glad you're liking this series so I'll read it eventually as so far a lot of the Steve-recommended books have been very good :D.

Jo Walton's written some good articles about the series over on Tor.com, starting with this one where she tells about how she originally read the books completely out of order, which is quite interesting (except the last paragraph's a bit spoilery, so I skipped it!), and there's a re-read blog for the whole series, as well.

ETA:  actually, this one's probably better as an overview of the series, and it's negligible in terms of spoilers.

Edited by Karsa Orlong