What's Up in June? 2015

frankie

Just got back from Bath where I met up with poppyshake.  The café in the Waterstone's has been converted from a Costa into the Waterstone's own Café W, so we decided to try it out.  It was rather warm out, so we had iced coffee and a slice of their home made lemon drizzle cake which had a thin topping of buttercream and some lemon curd swirled over the top … it was gorgeous! :D  Had a bit of a book swap, and a lovely long chinwag, and a great time was had by all (well, I know I had a great time, I hope Kay and Alan did too :giggle2:).

I'm glad you had a great time :). Also, I looked up 'chinwag' as it was an unfamiliar term for me, that can be my new word for today!

On Saturday then I am off to Cornwall for a fortnight, so tomorrow will be last day of work for a while. On Sunday it is also my birthday, so I will be bringing in cakes and biscuits for everyone to share - a very strange tradition, as they should surely treat me !

I hope you have a great time in Cornwall, and happy birthday in advance :)!

No, not a lawyer. I'm a program assistant for a non-profit sexual assault center. We provide legal advocacy, therapy, and family services for survivors of sexual abuse and sexual assault. We are the main provider in our county, and the largest in the state. We also have a program that sends volunteers from the community to monitor sexual assault cases as they proceed through the courts. It is this program that publishes the case summaries, which are written by my and two other people. There are usually between 20 and 30 every month. It's an interesting, challenging, and surprisingly fun job! :smile:

Today, I'm reviewing closed therapy cases for completeness, and some other random things. I'm so hungry, though! Maybe some tea will get me through until I can get away for some lunch.

Wow, that is pretty interesting!

I'm excited about the library night tonight, I hope to buy some nice books in the sale :D. I plan to take it relatively easy the rest of today as I want to save most of my energy for tonight. Normally after ~16:00 or 4 PM I get pretty tired and can't do as many things anymore, so hopefully I'll be allright in the evening. It'll probably be busy but I hope it won't be too bad. Then this weekend my brother and his girlfriend will come over for lunch with my parents, it'll be nice to see them again.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Treated myself to a "me" day today.  Went into town and saw Spy in the multiplex and I was the ONLY person in the cinema!!! It was brilliant - no one talking, kicking my chair, noisily eating food or slurping drinks … bliss! :smile2:  I almost had a problem when the house lights didn't go down during the trailers, but managed to find a member of staff who sorted it out before the film started - only just though … by about 30 seconds.

Then went for coffee and a read, followed by a nice drive in the sun to come home, with (and I feel no guilt for this pleasure at all) Bananarama on the car stereo.

I haven't had such an enjoyable "me" day for ages. :D

Yay to "me" days.

Bananarama? That's a wonderful blast from the past, I would have enjoyed them too, no guilt at all!  :D

Husband and I have individually had a busy couple of weeks, with more on the way, so plan on doing pretty much zero that involves effort tomorrow. Today we visited my parents, taking lunch, pudding and naughty chocs (for UK Father's Day tomorrow) with us. Had an enjoyable time, but are now home and looking forward to a quiet evening together.  

I haven't had such an enjoyable "me" day for ages. :D

That's so nice, that you had a great time :).

Husband and I have individually had a busy couple of weeks, with more on the way, so plan on doing pretty much zero that involves effort tomorrow. Today we visited my parents, taking lunch, pudding and naughty chocs (for UK Father's Day tomorrow) with us. Had an enjoyable time, but are now home and looking forward to a quiet evening together.

I hope you can rest a bit today! I'm glad you had fun with your parents.

As I posted on the weather thread, we've had some flooding here the last day or so.  I've posted some pics on my blog (which is very new, so not very good), if anyone is interested.  

https://staciesscatteredthoughts.wordpress.com/

I hope things get better there soon :(. It looks pretty bad!

We have make a cake for Father's Day (today in the Netherlands). It's now in the fridge, firming up. We haven't made this type of cream cake before, so hopefully it will work out as it's an experiment! I'm going to phone my sister in few minutes and later today my brother and his girlfriend will come to lunch with my parents. We'll be spending some time with all of them too. I also plan to catalogue my books today, which I bought at the library sale on Friday. And I hope to do a bit more reading, but I don't know yet how much spare time I'll have left for that.

I hope you have taken a photo of that cake Gaia! Poppyshake would not forgive a cake being made and no picture of it!   :giggle2:

We enjoyed a lovely quiet evening and are just lounging about catching up with ourselves. Husband is currently playing some game or another on his laptop, so I will wander off and do some washing up soon. There's not much there, so not too chore like.  :smile:

Here's a photo of the cake:

20150621_145858_0.25.jpg

I had a lot of fun yesterday, spending a lot of time with my boyfriend, my parents, and my brother and his girlfriend. We made this cake, and Kim (my brother's girlfriend) brought some nice foods as well. She works in a bakery at the moment, she brought several nice sweet things for with 'coffee-time', and we ate a certain type of braided bread for lunch. Then in the afternoon, at 'tea-time', we ate the cake Michael and I made. It was all very delicious and I had a lot of fun spending some time with my loved ones. I'm very tired from it of course, so I hope to rest a bit later today (after I've done a lot of cleaning and such).

Back to work again today, and not too bad a day in the end.  Quite a few things to catch up on, so it whizzed by quite quickly, and here I am, already home again and catching up here. :D

Not much planned for the week, other than work, and trying to reduce my TBR as it seems to be piling up again. :roll:

Some photos of my summer phlox this year. They have really spread from when planted. Four of the plants I just put in last fall. The white one is really pure white (see close-up photo). :) I will divide the phlox this fall and plant some elsewhere in the yard. 

There are probably about a fourth of them still to open.

post-3652-0-37199200-1435024794_thumb.jpg

post-3652-0-21901700-1435024822_thumb.jpg

post-3652-0-80090700-1435024853_thumb.jpg

post-3652-0-59986900-1435024876_thumb.jpg

Edited by muggle not

Lovely colours muggle not. How did your trip go? Clean bill of health I hope.  :smile:

I out for lunch today, taking my elderly neighbour for fish and chips For a little old lady, she can really get through a large piece of battered fish!  :giggle2:  I always have the small version, and struggle with that. The weather has settled down after yesterday's rain so it should be a nice trip out. 

Gorgeous phlox Muggles, they look like they should have butterflies fluttering all around them. :)  Yummy looking cake Gaia and you're such a sweetie Chrissy, taking your neighbour out for fish and chips.

Hope the flooding didn't effect you too badly Bookmonkey, we were lucky here, didn't get much rain at all. Getting heavy frosts though.

That cake looks really nice! What kind is it?

Thanks! It's cookies and cream :)

That looks so yummy Gaia. I hope your Dad enjoyed it.  :smile:

Thanks Chrissy, he did :)!

Back to work again today, and not too bad a day in the end.  Quite a few things to catch up on, so it whizzed by quite quickly, and here I am, already home again and catching up here. :D

Not much planned for the week, other than work, and trying to reduce my TBR as it seems to be piling up again. :roll:

I hope you have some nice reading time this week :)

Some photos of my summer phlox this year. They have really spread from when planted. Four of the plants I just put in last fall. The white one is really pure white (see close-up photo). :) I will divide the phlox this fall and plant some elsewhere in the yard. 

There are probably about a fourth of them still to open.

These are beautiful!

I out for lunch today, taking my elderly neighbour for fish and chips For a little old lady, she can really get through a large piece of battered fish!  :giggle2:  I always have the small version, and struggle with that. The weather has settled down after yesterday's rain so it should be a nice trip out.

I hope you have a good time :).

After doing a lot this weekend, I plan to rest a bit today. My boyfriend hasn't been feeling well the past few days, so I'm doing a bit more in the house. I try to take care of him the best I can, it's his ME / CFS. I feel bad that I can't do more for him, to make him feel better.

Gorgeous phlox Muggles, they look like they should have butterflies fluttering all around them. :)  Yummy looking cake Gaia and you're such a sweetie Chrissy, taking your neighbour out for fish and chips.

Hope the flooding didn't effect you too badly Bookmonkey, we were lucky here, didn't get much rain at all. Getting heavy frosts though.

We were lucky in town Poppy.  It's mainly down by the river and out of town.  It's been freezing here too.  Where are you? Down south?

We were lucky in town Poppy.  It's mainly down by the river and out of town.  It's been freezing here too.  Where are you? Down south?

Yes bookmonkey, Nelson/Tasman area. Did you see further south they're having record -21C temps? Brrrrrrrr!! :cold:

I got an interview for the panel I'm applying for. So that's two stages (application and psychometric testing) down, 1 stage to go! Interview is in two weeks. Not gonna think about it until the Monday of that week, and then I'll panic :lol:

Yes, good luck Noll!! :D  Sending all kinds of disco-y and sparkly vibes your way!

I'm working a short day from home today and then will be hitting the gym for another Zumba class.  Tomorrow morning I'm running to the farmer's market since more veggies/fruits/flowers will be making an appearance.  I went to a nutrition/metabolism seminar at the gym last night so I'm excited to put what I learned into practice.

I'm also meeting my friend for lunch tomorrow and on Sunday am helping a friend cook up a big Lebanese meal.  Apparently I'm an 'expert' so I volunteered to help :D

Great news Noll, will keep everything crossed for you! :)

It's been busy here, it was my eldest sons last days at school yesterday and he had his Prom yesterday evening, along with Pre Prom and After Prom! I dropped him at Heathrow earlier and he is now on his way to Geneva to meet his Dad for a week of paragliding, lucky boys!! :)