What's Up in June? 2015

frankie

Thanks everyone! We have her til tomorrow, so I'm coming to terms with it. She's so far gone at this stage that we can all accept we're doing the right thing, so that makes it a bit easier.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noll, I'm so sorry to hear this :(. We had to put our dog Maya to sleep too. It was the right thing to do, she was suffering so much. I feel your pain :(. I hope you will be okay and will have good memories of your dog :empathy::(.

Thanks :) I had a half hour or so with her today where she was sprawled on the floor and I was rubbing her belly. She's very fragile and has been very anti-social for a year or so now, so just to have her let me do that was lovely and it gave me a chance to sit and talk to her knowing it'll be the last time I do it. She's wobbling all over the place when she walks, and I think its just because shes so weak. She's sort of dazed all the time (but she does still enjoy being stroked, because she turned over on her back to get me to rub her belly). I'm just spending the rest of today taking pictures and little videos of her, I think they'll help me in the long run to remind me why this was the right thing to do, and also just so I don't forget her last days.

So sorry to hear about the dog Noll. :empathy:  

The Talent show last night went very well and was great fun. I don't think it really hit me what we were about to do until I saw them setting up the hall earlier in the day. They had 100 tickets available every one of which was sold, so at £10 a head it was a nice fundraiser. When we got back there just after 7pm the hall was already pretty much full. Seats had been set up at the back for the performers, with a few reserved at the front for those less able to walk, of which there were a few. Our CEO did a short introduction first before handing over to the Catering Manager and one of the male clients, who did all the compering. We had 24 acts in all, which considering our 100 or so clients, is brilliant, as that represents almost a quarter of them. Apart from us, only one other member of staff took part - our Finance Manager, who did a magic act, although our CEO got up on stage with one of the other clients who dressed up as the wrestler Hulk Hogan ! She really looked the part, complete with union jack leggings and a bright blue wig and glasses. You wouldn't get many CEO's who were willing to do that, but she isn't like most bosses I have had. She has an OBE for championing equality in the workplace which from what I have seen, is very much deserved.

The first act was a group of clients from the on site care home who did a rendition of High School musical, this was followed by one of the male clients who did the Westlife version of Uptown Girl. As there were 24 acts, there was 12 in each half. Most of them only lasted a few minutes, but it was great with them all encouraging the crowd to join in with singing, clapping and waving their hands. Some sang (karaoke style), some danced, one played the piano, one read some poetry from Pam Ayres, and then of course there was us ...

We were on halfway through the second half, and even though we had been rehearsing and practising for weeks, when it came to it, I still felt nervous. We walked on the stage wearing our cleaning aprons and carrying our mops and buckets with yellow warning signs which we placed either side of us to make it look authentic. The music we chose was from Dave Greenslade (inspired by Terry Pratchett's Discworld) and was called the Stick and Bucket Dance.  It sounds a little like the sort of thing that Morris men dance to - I have always wanted to have a go at that. At the end we got a huge cheer and as we walked out of the hall at the end of the evening people were coming up to us saying how great and different it was - the clients loved it, because of course it's a parody of the job they see me doing there every day of the week. It really was though such a great laugh and terrific fun. :D By the end of the evening, my hands were sore from all the clapping. I would definitely do it again next year. I am sure a lot of them will be talking about it when I go back to work on Monday.

Coran did record a video of us practising, so if I get the chance, I will post it here. One of the clients also recorded the whole thing, although I am not sure what he is doing to do with that, or if we will be able to edit it to just our act, as I wouldn't want to put videos of the clients on the Internet without their permission.

I'm glad to hear your talentshow went well, June :)!

I'm feeling pretty tired today (mentally), but I'm not sure why. I might try to rest a bit after lunch, I also hope to do a bit more reading later today since it's the read-a-thon (and also I love to read), but I don't know yet if I'll feel up for it. Then tomorrow my 'ambulante hulp' is visiting me again, and I've got a lot of other stuff to do.

Well, hopefully this will work. Here is a video of us practising our Mop and Bucket Dance a few days before the event itself.  I am the one that starts off with the red bucket,

Edited by Talisman

Well, hopefully this will work. Here is a video of us practising our Mop and Bucket Dance a few days before the event itself.  I am the one that starts off with the red bucket,

That's very nicely done!! Great video :).

Today I've got a lot of things to do, hopefully I can rest a bit as well as I feel tired already from a long walk with the dogs this morning :P.

Edited by Athena

Haha what a great video June!

Thanks everyone who has sent messages my way since I last posted, much appreciated.

Back in Cork now (took a day's leave from work today) and on Wednesday I have a verbal and numerical reasoning assessment for a place on a panel. (If I do okay in the tests, I might get an interview.) Dreading the test, I do horrendously under pressure. Tried a trial one and got 60% :roll:

Back in Cork now (took a day's leave from work today) and on Wednesday I have a verbal and numerical reasoning assessment for a place on a panel. (If I do okay in the tests, I might get an interview.) Dreading the test, I do horrendously under pressure. Tried a trial one and got 60% :roll:

I hope it will go allright, I will think of you tomorrow!

I've done a lot of things yesterday, so today I hope to rest a bit more and to do some bookish things, such as cataloguing my new books and loans, and work on my reviews. I hope to do some reading maybe later today as well.

Loving the vid, June! :D And good luck, Noll!  :hug:

I swore I wasn't going to get into Supernatural, but, erm... I think I've found a new addiction. Oops. I guess that's what the summer holidays does :o Been up on the cliffs these last two days to get some fresh air and to take some photos (haven't got round to uploading them to my laptop, though). I'm also seeing someone who I've been friends with for sixteen years tomorrow- I've missed her so much and can't wait to see her! Also seeing a sixth form friend on Friday, and got a few other meet-ups with old friends planned. Also going back to the zoo at the weekend, too, which'll be great. :D 

Off for a beautiful soak in the bath with a beautiful Lush bubble bar!  :soaking1:

Loving the vid, June! :D And good luck, Noll!  :hug:

I swore I wasn't going to get into Supernatural, but, erm... I think I've found a new addiction. Oops.

Thanks! And... tee hee hee. Supernatural is amazing. :lol:

I swore I wasn't going to get into Supernatural, but, erm... I think I've found a new addiction. Oops. I guess that's what the summer holidays does :o Been up on the cliffs these last two days to get some fresh air and to take some photos (haven't got round to uploading them to my laptop, though). I'm also seeing someone who I've been friends with for sixteen years tomorrow- I've missed her so much and can't wait to see her! Also seeing a sixth form friend on Friday, and got a few other meet-ups with old friends planned. Also going back to the zoo at the weekend, too, which'll be great. :D 

Off for a beautiful soak in the bath with a beautiful Lush bubble bar!  :soaking1:

This all sounds nice :)!

After spending a lot of time yesterday writing reviews and such, I hope to take it a bit slower today by doing a bit of reading :). I had a long walk with the dogs this morning and later today I might go for another walk.

I've had hospital appointments in the last two days, so have only managed to get bits and pieces done since the weekend. Yesterday was washing my filthy car and spending two hours clearing a very short path, a great workout although I managed to hurt my back.

Today I am wincing as I move, so will be staying active to keep my muscles from seizing up too much. We are dog sitting a gorgeous golden retriever called Ben for four nights from today, so keeping active will not be a problem!  :D

I've had hospital appointments in the last two days, so have only managed to get bits and pieces done since the weekend. Yesterday was washing my filthy car and spending two hours clearing a very short path, a great workout although I managed to hurt my back.

Today I am wincing as I move, so will be staying active to keep my muscles from seizing up too much. We are dog sitting a gorgeous golden retriever called Ben for four nights from today, so keeping active will not be a problem!  :D

I hope the hospital appointments were not serious and that they worked out ok.

I remember when you loved the car and now you are calling it a "filthy car" :)

Clearing a path sounds like a job for the husband. :)

I hope your back starts to feel better soon, Chrissy!

I'm sorry again about Holly, Noll.  It was so lovely you got to spend all that time with her at the end  :friends0: 

It's been a busy week again at work but I'm off on Friday and am heading north to the lake.  The dock is going in today and the boat comes tomorrow so it's just in time!  Unfortunately I also have to make time for yard work and putting in a little fencing around the flower beds.  The deer up there are wild about my hosta  :rolleyes: 

I hope your back starts to feel better soon, Chrissy!

I'm sorry again about Holly, Noll.  It was so lovely you got to spend all that time with her at the end  :friends0: 

It's been a busy week again at work but I'm off on Friday and am heading north to the lake.  The dock is going in today and the boat comes tomorrow so it's just in time!  Unfortunately I also have to make time for yard work and putting in a little fencing around the flower beds.  The deer up there are wild about my hosta  :rolleyes: 

I have a "recipe" for a deer repellent that really works. It is easy to make and has not let me down since I have been using it.

3 raw eggs

2 or 3 cloves garlic

3 or 4 tablespoons (or more) of tabasco sauce

put everything in a blender or food processor along with a cup of water and blend it all together. After blended you can add it to about a gallon of water (or a couple half gallon jugs). Make sure you strain it all through some cheese cloth to keep from clogging up the sprayer. Then put it as needed into a spray bottle and spray on the plants (I bought a gallon spray bottle at Home Depot that really works good). I spray it on the plants maybe once or twice a month or when I think about it.

ooops, almost forgot. Let the concoction sit outside in the sun for a day to get it good and ripe. Don't even try to smell the stuff as it will make you gag. :)

Edited by muggle not

I have a "recipe" for a deer repellent that really works. It is easy to make and has not let me down since I have been using it.

3 raw eggs

2 or 3 cloves garlic

put everything in a blender or food processor along with a cup of water and blend it all together. After blended you can add it to about a gallon of water (or a couple half gallon jugs). Make sure you strain it all through some cheese cloth to keep from clogging up the sprayer. Then put it as needed into a spray bottle and spray on the plants (I bought a gallon spray bottle at Home Depot that really works good). I spray it on the plants maybe once or twice a month or when I think about it.

ooops, almost forgot. Let the concoction sit outside in the sun for a day to get it good and ripe. Don't even try to smell the stuff as it will make you gag. :)

Wow, Muggle, thank you for that!  I will definitely be making that this weekend and also stopping at HD for one of those sprayers.  I'm sure my mom will be excited to hear about it too since she hates seeing her garden eaten up.

Since there are no chemicals I'm assuming it's okay to have around the dog?  Not that she'd want to try it, but you never know :lol: 

I hope the hospital appointments were not serious and that they worked out ok. I remember when you loved the car and now you are calling it a "filthy car" Clearing a path sounds like a job for the husband. 

I have an eye condition that requires monitoring. It's called Pigment Dispersion Syndrome . Apparently it's most common blue eyed men, but as I am always an awkward mare, being a brown eyed woman hasn't stopped me developing it.  :D 

I still adore my car, but she was genuinely filthy, having been 'decorated' by the local feathered community!

As regard the path clearing, the garden is mostly my job/pleasure and enables me to listen to lose myself in music and let my garden remind me of my sense of contentment.  :smile:

Unfortunately I also have to make time for yard work and putting in a little fencing around the flower beds.  The deer up there are wild about my hosta  :rolleyes: 

My hosta is always a victim of slugs, making it look like lace leaves by the end of summer. I try to remember that hedgehogs love slugs, so the hosta's change of look is the price I pay for hedgehogs visiting.  :smile:

My back is feeling better this afternoon, and Ben the golden retriever has arrived. We have enjoyed a short walk in a local field and are enjoying a quiet time before I start sorting out tonight's supper. 

Wow, Muggle, thank you for that!  I will definitely be making that this weekend and also stopping at HD for one of those sprayers.  I'm sure my mom will be excited to hear about it too since she hates seeing her garden eaten up.

Since there are no chemicals I'm assuming it's okay to have around the dog?  Not that she'd want to try it, but you never know :lol: 

The dog probably won't go near it due to the smell.:)  It is truly awful smelling. I forgot to put in the recipe that the garlic should be minced before adding to the concoction in the blender/food processor.

3 raw eggs

2 or 3 cloves garlic

Have you any recipes for a slug/snail repellent? I'm not troubled much by deers :D but pesky snails have chewed their way through my herbaceous borders. They even eat foxgloves .. which I thought were poisonous! I have tried copper rings, eggshells, vaseline (on pots), beer traps and various other methods. Am at wits end!!  :wacko:

Have you any recipes for a slug/snail repellent? I'm not troubled much by deers :D but pesky snails have chewed their way through my herbaceous borders. They even eat foxgloves .. which I thought were poisonous! I have tried copper rings, eggshells, vaseline (on pots), beer traps and various other methods. Am at wits end!!  :wacko:

Sorry, I can't help you on slug/snail control. It took me many, many, years to find a deer repellent. I wish I had it years ago as it would have saved me much anguish.

I have used Diatomaceous Earth for control of fly beetle on eggplant to moderate success. You may look at some of the methods on this site but I think that they are really difficult to control.

http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm

You have my sympathy. :)

Edited by muggle not