Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

(And you totally watched Hope Float because of Harry Connick Jr., am I right?  :P  :lol: )

Um, YEAH!  Of course ;)  You know me too well.

I'm very close to finishing Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames.  After that I can get back into The Song of the Quarkbeast :D

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Falling by Emma Kavanagh. It was meh. Easy to read, and I happily read to the end, but probably the least exciting thriller I've ever read :lol:

Next up is The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald. I've heard this one is pretty dark and gritty, so hopefully I'll enjoy it :)

This month's books so far:

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - a book I'd always promised myself I would read.  I found the prose beautiful.

Lamentation - C.J. Sansom - one of my favourite authors/series.  I will also remain faithful to Sansom - I even forgave him for Heartstone

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan - this was excellent and there were images in that book that will stay with me for a long time.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susannah Clarke - an absolute joy, this one.  I just loved the pastiche of Austen meets Terry Pratchett.  A delightful read.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch - the first of his Gentleman 'persons of dubious parentage' series.  I think I might have fallen in love with Locke just a little bit.  

Choke - Chuch Palahnuik - what can I say?  I have a strange relationship with Chuck.  On the one hand I admire his genius - he can create such vivid imagery with just a few words and his books certainly make you examine your own life.  The downside is I always come away from Chuck feeling very depressed.  His total cynicism and nihilism can get a bit wearing after a while.

There is an old book I've never read - Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.  It was cheap on a Kindle Daily Deal so I grabbed it.  Oh, dear.....  I'll stick with it (I've vaguely heard things about the story) but the prose is making me grit my teeth as I read.  I had forgotten quite how badly written some books in the 70s were.  This was brought home to me when I re-read Penmarric last year (I loved it when I was 16)!

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - a book I'd always promised myself I would read.  I found the prose beautiful.

Lamentation - C.J. Sansom - one of my favourite authors/series.  I will also remain faithful to Sansom - I even forgave him for Heartstone

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan - this was excellent and there were images in that book that will stay with me for a long time.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susannah Clarke - an absolute joy, this one.  I just loved the pastiche of Austen meets Terry Pratchett.  A delightful read.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch - the first of his Gentleman 'persons of dubious parentage' series.  I think I might have fallen in love with Locke just a little bit.  

Choke - Chuch Palahnuik - what can I say?  I have a strange relationship with Chuck.  On the one hand I admire his genius - he can create such vivid imagery with just a few words and his books certainly make you examine your own life.  The downside is I always come away from Chuck feeling very depressed.  His total cynicism and nihilism can get a bit wearing after a while.

There is an old book I've never read - Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.  It was cheap on a Kindle Daily Deal so I grabbed it.  Oh, dear.....  I'll stick with it (I've vaguely heard things about the story) but the prose is making me grit my teeth as I read.  I had forgotten quite how badly written some books in the 70s were.  This was brought home to me when I re-read Penmarric last year (I loved it when I was 16)!

Haha .. my mum loved Flowers in the Attic but she's never been able to persuade me to read it .. I'm glad of it now :D

Glad you enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (have you been watching the series?) and The Book Thief .. great books!! :) I haven't read the others (don't think Choke is quite my thing  :blush2: ) .. are you thinking of setting up a book blog? Be very interested to read more of your thoughts on the books you've read :) (no pressure of course.) Welcome anyway Mistress Gwyn :)   

Those two are firm favourites among the members here :)Flowers In The Attic has been kind of sitting at the back of my wishlist for years... hadn't heard that about the prose before. I'll probably still give it a go eventually.

I just finished reading "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. It may possibly be the best of the 3 books in the Flavia de Luce series that I have read so far. Tonight I will start reading The Girl On The Train.

I loved The Book Thief and I liked Flowers in the Attic when I read the Dutch translation of it as a teenager. I've no idea what the original prose is like.

I wasn't in a good mood yesterday, I seem to be losing my mojo / I'm in a reading slump. That said, aside from not feeling like reading, I didn't feel like doing anything else, either, I felt pretty lethargic all around. Hopefully it'll clear up soon :(. I'm currently not reading any book. Up next would be one of my library loans, either the next Brotherband book to read (book 3) or a Stilton book.

I'm curious about this one, it seems an intriguing book.

I'd give it a go, Sousa.  He has his own prose style, which takes a wee bit of getting used to, but the accounts of the POW camp and the slave labour on the Burma railway touched me very deeply.  

Haha .. my mum loved Flowers in the Attic but she's never been able to persuade me to read it .. I'm glad of it now :D

Glad you enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (have you been watching the series?) and The Book Thief .. great books!! :) I haven't read the others (don't think Choke is quite my thing  :blush2: ) .. are you thinking of setting up a book blog? Be very interested to read more of your thoughts on the books you've read :) (no pressure of course.) Welcome anyway Mistress Gwyn :)   

I am watching 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell', Poppyshake.  Enjoying it very much, although obviously - as with nearly every adaptation - the book is better.  I'll have to look into the book blog thing :)

I even forgave him for Heartstone

I didn't!  

Marvellous book, glad you enjoyed it :smile:

I thought it was great, kind of like a fantasy version of Hustle :D  I've yet to read the others in the series, but you'll find a couple of big fans of them around these parts :smile:

I've started Parade's End, by Ford Madox Ford. A book very interesting right from the beginning, it introduces the reader to Tietjens and Macmaster's background inbetween the former's thoughts and a good dialogue. The writing is fairly pleasant and smooth, and I already feel connected to these characters. The descriptions are of great quality, detailed and yet appropriate to the rhythm. I believe the story will develop quite nicely.

Um, YEAH!  Of course ;)  You know me too well.

Haha, knew it! :giggle2: (I'm going to keep my eyes open for the movie!)

I hope to get back into Disclaimer by Renee Knight today. I'm really enjoying it but haven't had time to read in the past few days. 

I just finished reading "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. It may possibly be the best of the 3 books in the Flavia de Luce series that I have read so far. 

It's good to see that you're enjoying "A Red Herring Without Mustard"  :smile: . I really enjoyed the first and second of the Flavia de Luce series.

At the moment, I'm enjoying There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, and it is even getting better!  :smile:

I loved The Book Thief....I thought it was very original that Death was the narrator.

I know what you mean about Chuck Palahnuik. I loved Fight Club, but I haven't enjoyed anything else he has written nearly as much.

Flowers In The Attic.....heh, I read that in high school and it was much talked about amongst friends. I think I read it again a few years ago, and was shocked by how bad it was. :giggle2:

Flowers In The Attic.....heh, I read that in high school and it was much talked about amongst friends. I think I read it again a few years ago, and was shocked by how bad it was. :giggle2:

I'm glad it's not just me.  I'm plodding through, but I keep gritting my teeth against all the cloying phrases, and I'm really having to suspend my disbelief about a mother who would take her children back into such a toxic environment.  Some of it is becoming familiar - I wonder if I've seen the film or something.  

That's awesome!! :D How far along are you? :)

About 60% read of the boonow. It's really good, especially when the characters start to change quite dramatically

Finished The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald. Thought most of it was a bit slow, but it had a terrific ending and tied everything up well. Definitely very dark!

Now onto  A Tap On The Window by Linwood Barclay. Mad into thrillers lately! :lol:

Been a good book day today … went to the local bookshop and bought In the Orchards, The Swallows by Peter Hobbs - had been intending not to buy any more books, but it's Independent Booksellers Week and wanted to support them.  They've also decided to start a book group in the autumn, so I'm looking forward to finding out more info and hopefully joining in.

Reading wise, I finished Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress this morning and then In the Orchards, The Swallows this afternoon, and have now started the next St Clare book, Summer Term at St Clare's. :D

About 60% read of the boonow. It's really good, especially when the characters start to change quite dramatically

Loving it that you're loving it :D I loved how the woman who came to work for the school (I forget what her work title is in English! :blush:) deals with the kids. Very smart!!

Now onto  A Tap On The Window by Linwood Barclay. Mad into thrillers lately! :lol:

I hope you enjoy it, I read it rather recently and thought it was a real page-turner :) 

Finished Sathram Sanghera's first novel, Marriage Material, a modern day take on Arnold Bennet's The Old Wives' Tale (a somewhat slimmer version too!) It was a fairly easy read in preparation for my next book group meeting, although I did find myself skimming a bit on occasions. Not sure what to follow with yet, although am in the middle of (dipping into) The Cloud Watcher's Guide.

Slowly getting through Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, unfortunately or fortunately life is getting in the way again! :)

Hasn't stopped me adding to my TBR though, in addition to the seven that arrived in the week from Amazon (see my blog) I bought three more in Waterstones today!

Home - Toni Morrison

The Way Back Home - Freya North

The Girls from Corona del Mar - Rufi Thorpe

All new authors for me. :)