Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

Started Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed.  Wow- 24 pages in and I am crying.

I'm not sure, is that a good thing in this case, or not :blush2:?

Bought a couple of books while I was away … obviously I had to support the local indie bookshops :yes::D

The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman by Denis Thériault

2am at The Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I finished Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void (review will be posted in my thread soon) and I started Myrthe van der Meer - PAAZ 1: PAAZ (which so far is interesting).

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished reading Dragons at Crumbling castle by Terry Pratchett - cracking good read! Thinking I might read The Heir By Kiera Cass next.

I haven't got that Terry Pratchett book, I'm glad you liked it :). I have the Kiera Cass books (the ones out so far), but I haven't read them yet.

I haven't got that Terry Pratchett book, I'm glad you liked it :). I have the Kiera Cass books (the ones out so far), but I haven't read them yet.

It's a book of his short stories from when he was younger good quick read. I've read the 3 selection books so far - they too have been quick reads good for something different. I've been looking into getting the novellas too just can't justify the price at the moment.

Finished reading Memento Mori (Muriel Spark), a book that I found equally entertaining and troubling (the theme of aging and death touched rather on possible prospects rather too close on the horizon!) - a bit more bite than even this author normally achieves.

Moved on to Waterloo - The Aftermath by Paul O'Keeffe. I don't often have two books, let alone two non-fiction, books on the go at the same time, but having started The Cloud Watcher's Guide a week or so ago, I realised I wanted, in the light of the prospective anniversary, to read something to match the occasion! Still dipping into The CW Guide though, a style it does lend itself to, until I can take it up again properly.

Edited by willoyd

I have this on my TBR pile, and want to get to it fairly soon.

I've had it on my TBR for awhile now too, want to see the movie also, as the Pacific Coast Trail in practically my backyard!  It was selected as a book club read by a group I want to start on the 18th. 

It's a book of his short stories from when he was younger good quick read. I've read the 3 selection books so far - they too have been quick reads good for something different. I've been looking into getting the novellas too just can't justify the price at the moment.

Both of these things sound nice, thanks :)!

I finished Solitaire by Alice Oseman - the plot was a bit dodgy overall, but the writing and characterization made it a great read.

Read Say Her Name by James Dawson quite quickly, a Bloody Mary novel - actually quite good. Nothing spectacular or highly original, definitely not scary, but an enjoyable read all the same. Would read more by him.

Now reading The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, the first in a series. I read The Fifth Wave by the same author (or rather, somewhere between a half and two thirds) and I loved what I had read up to that point, but it didn't keep me reading. This series seems to be a whole other kettle of fish, so I'm giving it a chance, and 60 pages in I think it's pretty fantastic. The writing is superb.

It came out in 2009 -  it's taken me this long to get to it.

Ah, OK. Thanks!

I woke up early this morning so spent a couple of hours snuggled under the covers reading. I rarely spend so much time reading in one go! It was lovely. :)

Currently reading a book by a new author I've never even heard of. The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon. It's really intense and so thrilling that I can't even read it at night because then I'm afraid to go to the bathroom :lol:

I finished Holes by Louis Sachar and started reading Oppipoika by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt. It's the sequel to Dark Secrets which I read just last month. I don't know if it's been translated into English yet. 

Now reading The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, the first in a series. I read The Fifth Wave by the same author (or rather, somewhere between a half and two thirds) and I loved what I had read up to that point, but it didn't keep me reading. This series seems to be a whole other kettle of fish, so I'm giving it a chance, and 60 pages in I think it's pretty fantastic. The writing is superb.

It's great you're liking this one more. I own The 5th Wave but I hadn't heard of this new series.

I finished reading two books by David Walliams and I'm currently reading another library loan, a book that is part of De Donkere Getallen series (by a Flemish author). I have four others on loan as well, and after finishing those I'll be reading the two Ranger's Apprentice books that I borrowed from the library.

Edited by Athena

I've started the book for this month for my book club - The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender.

Surely a book with so fabulous a title has to be good?!

I've spent today reading the latest instalment of Middlemarch.

Not sure which to read next - A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson or The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith.

Ooh, tough choice! I loved the former, and from everything I've read, the latter is great as well. :)

I had a good day of reading yesterday and I'm now three-quarters of the way through The Curse of the House of Foskett. Hoping to finish it in the next day or two.

Ooh, tough choice! I loved the former, and from everything I've read, the latter is great as well. :)

I ended up going with the former - A Walk In The Woods. I've only read a few chapters, but I'm absolutely loving it. Bill Bryson is just so effortlessly funny. I have read it before, and knew I liked it but I couldn't remember much about it. In fact, I stayed up way past my bedtime to read it, and now I'm feeling rather sleepy. :thud:

I had a good day of reading yesterday and I'm now three-quarters of the way through The Curse of the House of Foskett. Hoping to finish it in the next day or two.

Goody! That one was a fun read. :boogie:

Bought a couple of books while I was away … obviously I had to support the local indie bookshops :yes::D

The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman by Denis Thériault

Damn, I'd completely forgotten that I bought the ebook version this year  :doh:

Started Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed.  Wow- 24 pages in and I am crying.

I've heard very mixed opinions about this book. How are you going with it?

Still enjoying Angela Thirkell's Pomfret Towers, and these gorgeous Virago Modern Classic cover are just LUSH!!  :wub:

Edited by Marie H

I've heard very mixed opinions about this book. How are you going with it?

:006:

Wild is sad!  Just over 125 pages in, I can't imagine where it will go in the next 200.  I'll be interested on hearing the book club's opinions, since it is my first time, I intend to just sit and listen :)

:006:

Wild is sad!  Just over 125 pages in, I can't imagine where it will go in the next 200.  I'll be interested on hearing the book club's opinions, since it is my first time, I intend to just sit and listen :)

Hmm, I wasn't sure the good review I'd heard (from the person who loved it so much, happened to be her son and daughter-in-law who own the indie book store, so that was not the most impartial vote!  :giggle2: