Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

I'm enjoying Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void but I'm putting it aside for three days to read my read-a-thon books, as I can't read this book for long without the need to process it for a little while. But I'm enjoying it a lot that I look forward to going back to it already, why do I do this to myself :giggle2:. I'll be reading a variety of shorter books this weekend.

:o *gasp*  Wow- glad you are taking it on.  lol

You know you will love TTV.  :)

I am nearly done with Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill (review in my thread in the next day or two  :D ).   

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on most people's reading lists here I suspect, but just finished The Napoleonic Wars, A Very Short Introduction, an excellent succinct history. Topical, given the anniversary coming up in a fortnight's time. BTW, I've found the VSI series to be excellent on a massively wide range of subjects.

On the anniversary front, I hadn't realised until the last couple of days that the Magna Carta 800th anniversary and the Waterloo 200th anniversary are only 3 days apart (I was aware of the latter, but only of the year for the former). Need to sort out my history lessons!

Now reading a combination of Muriel Spark's Momento Mori and Pretor-Pinney's Cloud Spotter's Companion

Edited by willoyd

I started re-reading The Silver Linings Play Book, and I'm really happy I've kept my copy!

I'm glad to hear that :). I have the book on my shelf but I haven't read it yet.

:o *gasp*  Wow- glad you are taking it on.  lol

You know you will love TTV.  :)

I am nearly done with Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill (review in my thread in the next day or two  :D ).

Lol me too! I'm loving it already :). I'm got to page ~100 when I stopped reading on Thursday.

Woohoo for being almost done with it :). I look forward to the review :).

My next read (for the read-a-thon) will be Susan Hatler - Better Date Than Never 10: Date and Dash, which was released last month and I've been looking forward to reading it :).

Not on most people's reading lists here I suspect, but just finished The Napoleonic Wars, A Very Short Introduction, an excellent succinct history. Topical, given the anniversary coming up in a fortnight's time.

I'm one of the minority :D Trying to make more time for these sort of books. I've not read as much non fiction as I would like in the last 12 months.

I'm now up to page 400 of Half of a Yellow Sun and will definitely finish it now. Still fairly meandering but the descriptions of Nigeria and Biafra's conflict and those living through it are keeping me engaged.

I've not read as much non fiction as I would like in the last 12 months.

Me too.  It's usually between around 30% non-fiction, but has dropped to just 4 of the 25 books read so far this year.  Yet my library has far more non-fiction than fiction in it!  I need to read more, especially some of the big stuff, which TBH does daunt me , whereas the likes of Anna Karenina and Middlemarch don't!

I've now started The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin, pretty good so far.

I *loved* that book, thought it was Anna's best yet. Hope you enjoy it.

Looking forward to your thoughts! :D

I have three reviews half-written which need finishing but I haven't been thinking much about books recently. Reading A Day At The Office by Matt Dunn which I randomly came across while Kindle browsing. Don't think much of it but I'm halfway through now and don't really want to give up. Will struggle on. Might start reading The Glass Demon by Helen Grant soon.

I gave Max Hastings Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945 a try on vacation and it was fairly disappointing.  The 100 pages I read were organized very haphazardly and was mostly anecdotal.  Which is fine, I was just looking for a more historical book.  I think a few people on here wanted to know how it was, so.  I just couldn't read it for 800 pages.

I'm reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, it's ok but a bit slow, needs to pick up a bit.

Great title .. though I wouldn't want to be the coldest girl in Coldtown  :cold:  :D .. would rather be the richest girl in Richtown! :D 

Finished listening to Life After Life by Kate Atkinson .. enjoyed it hugely to begin with but was a bit bored by the time the end came. Too many endings!!  :blush2: Finished reading The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann .. really loved it  :smile: It's a sort of sequel to Invitation to the Waltz .. though not directly following on. Brushing up on the bard now with Shakespeare on Toast by Ben Crystal .. enjoyable so far :)

Reading 'Gold' by Chris Cleave one I got a few years back, meant to read it after the Olympics were on in London as that is a theme through it, re two women cyclists....enjoying so far.

Not on most people's reading lists here I suspect, but just finished The Napoleonic Wars, A Very Short Introduction, an excellent succinct history. Topical, given the anniversary coming up in a fortnight's time. BTW, I've found the VSI series to be excellent on a massively wide range of subjects.

On the anniversary front, I hadn't realised until the last couple of days that the Magna Carta 800th anniversary and the Waterloo 200th anniversary are only 3 days apart (I was aware of the latter, but only of the year for the former). Need to sort out my history lessons!

Now reading a combination of Muriel Spark's Momento Mori and Pretor-Pinney's Cloud Spotter's Companion

The Napoleonic Wars, A Very Short Introduction does sound interesting.  I don't know a lot about that time period and am interested.  A couple of weeks ago I put http://www.amazon.com/Went-Day-Well-Witnessing-Waterloo/dp/0307594920/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0 on my wish list on Amazon.  I read a great review...somewhere. :) 

I have books to catalogue and a lot of reviews to type and work on (I've written parts of them with a pen), so I don't think I'll be doing much reading today! I was reading Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void last week, which I stopped for the read-a-thon (and Susie Burrell - Raak Die Laatste 5 Kilo Kwijt: Snel, Verantwoord en Zonder Moeite (Losing the Last 5 Kg) as well, I'm half way through that one). I've also got my library loans to read, up next of those is a Milla & Sugar book by Prunella Bat (I haven't catalogued them yet so I don't know the title on top off my head). But first I want to catalogue my new books and loans, and I've got those reviews to work on. Aside from the other things I should or want to do today.

I've got about 30 pages left to go of Death Descends On Saturn Villa, the third of M.R.C. Kasasian's 'Gower Street Detectives' novels.

Ooh, cool. How's it going? I didn't realise it was already out. I'm still reading the second one.

Ooh, cool. How's it going? I didn't realise it was already out. I'm still reading the second one.

Just finished it whilst eating my lunch  :D   I'd say it's the weakest of the three so far.  Review here  :smile:

The Napoleonic Wars, A Very Short Introduction does sound interesting.  I don't know a lot about that time period and am interested.  A couple of weeks ago I put http://www.amazon.com/Went-Day-Well-Witnessing-Waterloo/dp/0307594920/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0 on my wish list on Amazon.  I read a great review...somewhere. :)

I've heard good things too; I think it's largely centred on eye-witness reports.  A really good history of the battle I read recently was Tim Clayton's Waterloo.  Not as extensively reviewed as Bernard Cornwell's popular account, to my mind it's infinitely better: Cornwell writes a good story, but the history is not in the same league IMO, whilst I still found Clayton's narrative completely gripping (his other books are worth following up if you're interested in this period)..  The other account that many rate very highly is Alessandro Barbero's.

Hoorah....a book I have wanted to get a hold of as I've heard good things about it. Managed to get a RISI for .....

'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Hoorah....a book I have wanted to get a hold of as I've heard good things about it. Managed to get a RISI for .....

'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Only one of my most favourite books Diane, hope you love it too. She has a new book out later this year which I am waiting impatiently for! :D

Only one of my most favourite books Diane, hope you love it too. She has a new book out later this year which I am waiting impatiently for! :D

:smile: ...oh good.

I hope to finish Random Acts of Senseless Violence tonight, but I've been saying that for ages. :blush2:

I also bought Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood as it was a Kindle Daily Deal for only £0.99. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but it's been a while since I have read any Atwood so figured I'd give it a try.