Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

I'm about 40% through The Cuckoo's Calling. It's ok, but I'm struggling a bit to see where the story is going. I also keep envisioning Strike as someone in his mid to late 40's, not 35. :dunno:

I pictured him as Ray Winstone for some reason - definitely not a man of 35!

Finished The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald. Thought most of it was a bit slow, but it had a terrific ending and tied everything up well. Definitely very dark!

Have you read anything else by her, Noll?  I read The Cry a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  :)

I liked The Mesmerist, Kay.  I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read anything else by her, Noll?  I read The Cry a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  :)

Not yet, but I plan to. Every time I read a great book I'm torn between reading more by that author, and moving onto new authors! I have The Cry and I think The Donor on my tablet.

I've just finished The Cuckoo's Calling. The ending took me a bit by surprise, but it was all explained quite well.

Does that mean it improved for you? You didn't seem to be enjoying it overly much before. :)

I finished The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld yesterday. I'm so proud of myself for reading it. I'd had it on my TBR pile since 2009 and I had nearly gotten rid of it quite a few times. Also, it's a trade paperback (which are generally too tall for my bookshelves), so I cursed it every time I had to reorganise my books. But I'm so glad I didn't give up on the idea of reading it. It was really good—much better and more readable than I was expecting. I ended up finding it very difficult putting it down! :) I've just realised there's a second book with the same characters, so I'll look out for a cheap (small) copy to read one day.

I'm happy to hear it was so good!  I've had it for a couple of years, unread..... :blush2:   Now I know I have to get to it!  :D

I've just finished The Cuckoo's Calling. The ending took me a bit by surprise, but it was all explained quite well.

Although I don't remember the details by now, I do recall being surprised.....and thinking :doh: , I should have known it!!

I read the first couple of chapters of If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino, but I couldn't get into it, so I've put it back on the shelf for now, and will try again another time.

:D  I hated it.  Didn't finish.  /yawn/  bleech :D

Finally broke down and bought The Bone Clocks, will start very soon.  Still reading The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert and the latest Louise Penny.....name escapes me at the moment.  I do like it, but she is a tad melodramatic.  :sarcastic:

Does that mean it improved for you? You didn't seem to be enjoying it overly much before. :)

I don't know.....the ending just seemed to tie it all up in a neat little bundle, and present it to the reader. For some reason I would have preferred more to be revealed along the way, rather than in one go. As it was, it felt like nothing happened in the first 90% then all was revealed in the last 10%.  :dunno: I'd say it was an ok read, and I'll read the sequel at some point, but it's not a book that I would read again.

Although I don't remember the details by now, I do recall being surprised.....and thinking :doh: , I should have known it!!

Yeah, but the way it was written, so much was held back until the end that no-one could have guessed the culprit. Normally in a detective story there are clues dropped along the way, so the reader can try to figure things out as well (even if they may be completely wrong :lol:), but that wasn't the case with this one.

Finished I Let You Go and aside from the slow start and one niggle I have about the ending, it was an absolute whopper of a book. It's gonna be a fun one to review.

Started Mind Games by Teri Terry to pop back briefly to YA before reading more thrillers.

On page 86 of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and I'm loving it. As there are only approximately 220 pages of the book, it won't take long to finish the book.

So happy that you liked it through and through!! :smile2: I bet you'd love Sachar's other novels, too :yes: I know what you mean about not being in the right frame of mind to read more serious books, I'm struggling with the same thing. Isn't it wonderful how there's so much to literature, that we can pick a genre that will suit our mojos better?  :friends3:    :readingtwo:

Which other books of Sachar's do you recommend?Are there more of the same junior school age ones? There seems to be quite a few of his books in the library junior fiction, so

I thought I will probably request some more soon. It is that sort of genre that keeps me going with my reading mojo at the moment. Good to see that your reading mojo is good too :D