Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

I was getting a bit bored with just reading the De Donkere Getallen series, so I've now started not only Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 6: Ridder voor Altijd (which contains some lovely descriptions of Antwerpen so far, and I was thinking of visiting that city this summer), but also John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers (which is great so far, I'm enjoying it). I don't often read two fictional books at the same time as I normally find it highly confusing (usually it ends up with me just concentrating on one of them first, then after I finish it, I read the rest of the other), but we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Heir by Kiera Cass today....got to the last 100 pages and realized that it wouldn't be all tied up in a neat little package. With a sinking heart I checked out the author's website and there is was, fifth book out in 2016! I wished I knew that before starting I hate leaving a story half told. Good read though. :)

Just finished Open Season by C J Box during my lunch break.  I thought I had more of it left to read, but it's one of those books where the story finishes and then you get a 30 page preview of the next novel in the series.  I was tempted to dive straight into the next book but I think I'll hold off for a bit.

Soooo, I now need to decide what to read next  :help:  :lol:

Just finished Open Season by C J Box during my lunch break.  I thought I had more of it left to read, but it's one of those books where the story finishes and then you get a 30 page preview of the next novel in the series.  I was tempted to dive straight into the next book but I think I'll hold off for a bit.

Soooo, I now need to decide what to read next  :help:  :lol:

It's annoying in my opinion, when a lot of a book is taken up by a preview, but because it's the Kindle edition, you don't know until it happens, so you're surprised if the story ends sooner than you'd think. At least, I remember when I read a Kindle short story, I can't remember which one it was now, and it ended at ~40% and the rest was an excerpt for a full length book. In a paperbook, I always check the amount of pages of the actual story before I start to read :blush2:. I never read the ending! But I must check the exact number of pages :D.

That can be a difficult decision to make :yes:! I hope you pick something that you'll enjoy :).

Finished The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.  Easy read, but I think I only finished it as it's a book group read.  Distinctly underwhelmed as I finished it.

What do you do if they pick a book you've already read?  The book group I want to attend is doing The 100 Year Old Man... next and I already read it last year.

What do you do if they pick a book you've already read?  The book group I want to attend is doing The 100 Year Old Man... next and I already read it last year.

I know I'm not Claire, but this has happened to me this time round with Elizabeth is Missing, which I read fairly recently.  We've done a couple I've already read (always a risk with book clubs) - we did Wonder by R J Palacio and I didn't bother re-reading it because it wasn't long since I'd read it, but I found I couldn't remember enough of it when it came to discussion and I wished I'd at least skim-read it as a reminder!  I'm going to do that this time round!   We did The Outcast by Sadie Jones a couple of years ago, but it had been a few years since I'd read it so I re-read it and I think I actually enjoyed it more the second time round.    :)   I seldom re-read books otherwise.

I know I'm not Claire, but this has happened to me this time round with Elizabeth is Missing, which I read fairly recently.  We've done a couple I've already read (always a risk with book clubs) - we did Wonder by R J Palacio and I didn't bother re-reading it because it wasn't long since I'd read it, but I found I couldn't remember enough of it when it came to discussion and I wished I'd at least skim-read it as a reminder!  I'm going to do that this time round!   We did The Outcast by Sadie Jones a couple of years ago, but it had been a few years since I'd read it so I re-read it and I think I actually enjoyed it more the second time round.    :)   I seldom re-read books otherwise.

No, no, that's great, thanks :)  I was just thinking of skimming The 100 Year Old Man... and going next month.  I can't believe how many people have asked me if you have to finish the book before the meeting :giggle2: Um... ya, you kind of have all month!  No way can I finish Wild by tomorrow night, but I just found out about this group and unfortunately I started school Monday.

Just finished The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. Phenomenal book. So glad there are three more in the series for me to enjoy!

Is this the same Rick Yancey who wrote the 5th Wave books?  If so I'll definitely be checking out The Monstrumologist, Noll!  Plus the fact that it comes highly recommended, obviously ;)

Is this the same Rick Yancey who wrote the 5th Wave books?  If so I'll definitely be checking out The Monstrumologist, Noll!  Plus the fact that it comes highly recommended, obviously ;)

Tis indeed, full review in my thread :)

I've just finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. What a wonderful read, I was totally engrossed and sad for it to end. I am now reading The Biography of Miss Jane Pitman by Ernest J. Gaines and still plowing through Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

It depends on the book. If it's been a long time since I've read it, if I didn't hate it first time around, I'll probably read it again, but if I've read it recently, I'll probably just reread my review and maybe flick through it to remind myself what I thought of it. If it's a book I loved, I'd probably read it again in full. :D

Have read 76% of Angela Thirkell's Pomfret Towers - and I think this is the best one of her Barsetshire novels - it's so delicious!  :smile:

Plodding through Xinran's Buy Me The Sky, but it is still a struggle, and the author could take less of her own opinions, most of the time!  :irked: Okay, rant over  :rolleyes: .

I'm sort of between books at the moment, although I haven't finished my last book jar pick yet - The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams.  I put it aside as I was going away and didn't want to take books with my, just my Kindle, but now I don't think I'm in the mood for it, but don't know what else to read either!

I finished reading De Donkere Getallen books I had borrowed from the library, by Luc Descamps, and I finished the fourth Ranger's Apprentice book, Oakleaf Bearers by John Flanagan. Next up will be John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North.

I'm coming up to the end of the second Monstrumologist book. Not as good as the first but enjoyable all the same.

After this I might start The Five Stages Of Andrew Brawley, not sure yet.

Decided to start The Bride That Time Forgot by Paul Magrs this morning.  It's the fifth in the Brenda & Effie series, and I'm already about a third of the way through.  I love it, I love the characters, and this time around, one of them has gotten themselves into some serious trouble!!! :lol:

It's annoying in my opinion, when a lot of a book is taken up by a preview, but because it's the Kindle edition, you don't know until it happens, so you're surprised if the story ends sooner than you'd think. At least, I remember when I read a Kindle short story, I can't remember which one it was now, and it ended at ~40% and the rest was an excerpt for a full length book. In a paperbook, I always check the amount of pages of the actual story before I start to read :blush2:. I never read the ending! But I must check the exact number of pages :D.

LOL  I hate it when that happens!  Reading along, and it's like a bonk on the head.  :D 

I used to read the endings of books, sometimes....occasionally.  :blush2:   Not any more though.  I do check the number of pages though. lol

Finished The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.  Easy read, but I think I only finished it as it's a book group read.  Distinctly underwhelmed as I finished it.

Oh, darn!  I bought that ages ago on account of the great title.  Haven't gotten to it...../sigh/ heh  Glad to hear I haven't missed much.  :D

I've just finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. What a wonderful read, I was totally engrossed and sad for it to end. I am now reading The Biography of Miss Jane Pitman by Ernest J. Gaines and still plowing through Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

Have you seen the film of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?  Kevin Spacy was perfection itself in the role, and all I can say is WOW about Jude Law playing the "victim". 

I've read a couple of Gaines's books, and really loved them.  Not Miss Pittman yet though. :)

After abandoning The Buried Giant, I finally picked up one of my kindle acquisitions.  One I'd actually forgotten about, His First, His Second by A.D. Davies.  It's the first of a series featuring a female Detective Sergeant Alicia Friend, a criminal analyst based in Leeds. 

It. Is. Very. Good.  Especially for a 'first of the series' book.  Usually a "first" is loaded down with background details that slow the progress of a police procedural.  Not this one, it has just enough detail worked into the story itself to more than satisfy.  I'm a bit more than halfway through (didn't have any opportunity to read yesterday) and a couple of the twists are so unusual that I've not seen them before. 

A bookie friend handed me a book over today... 'Secrets of the Lighthouse' by Santa Montefiore. Have there been any of you read this one....sure I mentioned it might be a good read, but can't remember where I saw it.

Finished reading Pomfret Towers this afternoon. Lovely book  :smile:

Now I'm not sure what to read next...... something as light reading, again.  :blush2:

Made the decision now – There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom [Kindle Edition] by Louis Sachar

Edited by Marie H