Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

Finished Laidlaw by William McIlvaney.  Didn't think much of it.  Currently reading a very good crime novel set in outback Australia, Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland - which I've just discovered is the second in the series.  Off to see if my library has the first one.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoorah....a book I have wanted to get a hold of as I've heard good things about it. Managed to get a RISI for .....

'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I've got this book on my shelf, but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I'd be interested in hearing what you think :).

I'm currently reading Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void, which I started last week Wednesday but which I put aside for the read-a-thon last weekend. Yesterday I started at page 101 of it and read up to page 232. I also read a children's book (library loan) and I finished the book about losing weight, that I started last Wednesday as well but also put aside for the read-a-thon. TTV is pretty interesting so far, a lot of things happen in the book (to the point where I read pages 101-119 and then wondered, was that really just 19 pages?! Because so many things happened.). I'm thinking I'll probably start a library loan alongside this book as, because it's so epic and long I can't read it for long periods of time without taking breaks. So then instead of staring out the window during a break, I could try and read a children's book (one of my library loans). I'll see though, how I feel. First I plan to catalogue my new books and loans, and after that I hope to work on my reviews.

I've heard good things too; I think it's largely centred on eye-witness reports.  A really good history of the battle I read recently was Tim Clayton's Waterloo.  Not as extensively reviewed as Bernard Cornwell's popular account, to my mind it's infinitely better: Cornwell writes a good story, but the history is not in the same league IMO, whilst I still found Clayton's narrative completely gripping (his other books are worth following up if you're interested in this period)..  The other account that many rate very highly is Alessandro Barbero's.

Thanks willoyd.  Added to my wishlist as well. :D

I've finished The Green Mile, review over on my thread (hint: I loved it! :D  ) 

Just started The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.....a couple of chapters, and so far, so good. :)

I finished Random Acts of Senseless Violence, which was very good

Phew!  Glad you enjoyed it :smile:

I'm currently 320 pages into Julian May's The Many-Coloured Land.

I keep trying to get a good run going on Megan Abbott's The Fever, but I get either jet lagged or ill and I can't really focus too much too long.  I want to get to the end and move on!!

Then I have a crucial decision- read what I want, or read something I sort of want, in order to start attending a nearby book club!

I'm almost finished with midnight in the garden of good and evil. i'm loving this book! Sorry for the lowercases but my shift and caps lock keys are working on stupid right about now!

I'm also finishing up gone with the wind. my goal was to finish these two books before the official start of summer and I'm just about done, yayyy!

I'm abandoning A Day At The Office by Matt Dunn. I think it's an absolute load of tosh. I've barely read anything lately, so I really need to get my butt in gear (I've three reviews to write, too!) currently browsing Goodreads to try find something to catch my interest.

Started Solitaire by Alice Oseman. So far I adore the narrator. She's basically me when I'm in a bad mood, but ALL THE TIME. She says things like she goes home from school everyday, collapses onto her bed, and opens her laptop. Her laptop is  never far from her heart, it is her soulmate. Yep. I can see a LOT of people not liking her (at least initially), but I love the writing and uniqueness of the narrator so I'm really interested to see where this book is gonna go.

Hello reading mojo, nice to see you back :)

I keep trying to get a good run going on Megan Abbott's The Fever, but I get either jet lagged or ill and I can't really focus too much too long.  I want to get to the end and move on!!

Then I have a crucial decision- read what I want, or read something I sort of want, in order to start attending a nearby book club!

I hope you can finish it off and then start one of those two options :)

Unusually I have two fiction books on the go, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and The Lower River by Paul Theroux, very different books so hopefully I wont be too easily confused! :)

I hope they are both good! I haven't read The Nightingale, I do own Night Road by the same author but I don't think they're the same book.

I'm almost finished with midnight in the garden of good and evil. i'm loving this book! Sorry for the lowercases but my shift and caps lock keys are working on stupid right about now!

I'm also finishing up gone with the wind. my goal was to finish these two books before the official start of summer and I'm just about done, yayyy!

Hey Virginia, good to see you again! 

Hello reading mojo, nice to see you back :)

Yay :006:!

After some pages that dragged for a bit, in Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void, I've made some great progress with it today so far and am really enjoying it. I'm past half way, maybe almost at two thirds of the book. I've also got library loans to read, but currently TTV is keeping me gripped, so far.

You're right Gaia, Night Road is a different book on an entirely different subject. Definitely the best of hers I have read so far. :)

That's great to hear :). I really loved Home Front by her, so that sounds promising!

Finished reading Hamlet by John Marsden a good retelling by a great Australian author. Not sure what will be next but I'm leaning towards a Terry Pratchett.....

Ooh, interesting. I haven't heard of this one before. Is it a new book or one of his older ones that I've somehow missed?

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Curse of the House of Foskett. I've been reading at a snail's pace lately.

I'm abandoning A Day At The Office by Matt Dunn. I think it's an absolute load of tosh.

Oh, shame you're not enjoying it. I bought this last year, but will let the Book Jar decide when I read it.

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Curse of the House of Foskett. I've been reading at a snail's pace lately.

Are you enjoying it? How do you find it compares to the first book?

I finished The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar and started Holes by the same author :smile2:

Holes is a fun read. Have you seen the movie?

I'm about 40% through Elizabeth Is Missing. It's pretty good, but I feel so sorry for Maud. I also bought Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries which is today's Kindle Daily Deal.

Currently reading This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper .. bought for me by lovely Frankie .. and enjoying it immensely :) Also going to read the last St Clare's book so that I can hand them all over to Claire when I meet her for coffee next week :exc: Will be sad to say goodbye to the girls as have got quite used to boarding with them and the Malory Towers girls this year. Ah well, I can always cheer myself up with some ginger beer and a bloater sandwich :D :D :lol: 

Listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell still .. fantastic! 

I finished The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar and started Holes by the same author :smile2:

Holes was one of the books I took on vacation, although I didn't get to it :P

Started Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed.  Wow- 24 pages in and I am crying.

Ooh, interesting. I haven't heard of this one before. Is it a new book or one of his older ones that I've somehow missed?

It came out in 2009 -  it's taken me this long to get to it.

I'm plowing my way through the Morganville Series by Rachel Caine and finished book 11.

How are you enjoying the series? I read them all in one hit, and they blended into one long story which was actually pretty fun. I was able to totally immerse myself in Morganville for a while there.  :smile: