Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

I finished The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, not that impressed, very formulaic for the genre, teen paranormal, very predictable so a degree of skim reading was employed toward the end of the book. Nicely written though so toying with 2/5 or 3/5.

Really? That's a shame. Her books seem to be very hit or miss! I hated the first one I ever read, you didn't really like this one, and I thought The Darkest Part Of The Forest was brilliant. White Cat was also very good. Never know what you're going to get, with her!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, at the moment I seem to have four books on the go. I am reading Death by Request by Jaden Skye this is book 11, I love these as they are so easy to read and it is on my phone so can ready it in bed. Also A Song for Julia by Charles Sheenan Miles this is ok but it is not grabbing me, I will continue as I don't give up on books.  Torvill and Dean My Life on Ice which as this is an Autobiography I only ready a section at a time.  Also James Patterson Miracle at Augusta, this I am reading if I have a spare 30 minutes at the end of the evening.

I used to keep several books going at the time, but not so much anymore.  It comes and goes. :)

Torvill and Dean were wonderful to watch, and I remember when they went back to amateur status to participate in the Olympics.  They were robbed! :D

While I was on my trip I finished The Last Dragonslayer: The Chronicles of Kazam, book 1, and started book 2, The Song of the Quarkbeast, both by Jasper Fforde.  Thank you for turning these on to me, Muggle!  I love them!

I also started reading Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames by Peni Jo Renner.  It's historical fiction but is about my 9th great-grandmother so it's fascinating!

About to start H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald. Saw it on sale for £3.50 at Tesco the other day, heard rave reviews about it, and just thought "why not...?" Hoping it's as good as the hype makes out! :D

I read a bit of Guns, Germs and Steel while travelling into the city last night, and I've also started a book that has been on my TBR pile for quite a few years: The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld. I had actually taken it off my shelves because I had given up on ever getting around to reading it, but then I needed a book for a couple of minutes (*cough* bathroom reading *cough*), and it was the nearest thing to hand, so I grabbed it. I've only read the first few pages, but it seems OK, so I'll stick with it.

I have Guns, Germs and Steel on my TBR pile. It's a bit of a monster, and I can't imagine it's light reading. In fact, I'm sure I started it a year or so ago but had to put it down because I wasn't in the mood to 'get it'.

I don't think I've read The Interpretation of Murder, but I know the title and can see the cover. I think it's one of those books that I always picked up but put back on the shelf in the library.

It's a bit slow going with We Need To Talk About Kelvin and Random Acts of Senseless Violence, but that's just due to time-constraints. I'm in full study mode at the moment (booooorrring :sleeping-smiley-009 ), so reading is kind of taking a back seat.

I don't think I've read The Interpretation of Murder, but I know the title and can see the cover. I think it's one of those books that I always picked up but put back on the shelf in the library.

I thought The Interpretation of Murder was fun but it's not 'spectacular' or 'fiendishly clever' (which is what The Guardian said :doh:  :D ). 

I should finish The Commodore (Patrick O'Brian) today.

I also started reading Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames by Peni Jo Renner.  It's historical fiction but is about my 9th great-grandmother so it's fascinating!

That is pretty special :)!

I should finish The Commodore (Patrick O'Brian) today.

I look forward to read the review :).

I started Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void, which I've been meaning to read. I also started Susie Burrell - Raak Die Laatste 5 Kilo Kwijt: Snel, Verantwoord en Zonder Moeite (Losing the Last 5 Kg), because I wanted a short information read. I had trouble concentrating so I started two books because I couldn't focus. I will put both of them aside for the read-a-thon weekend and come back to them after the weekend. I hope to read some in both today though. I find it difficult to read two books at once, so I might just focus on The Temporal Void as I really want to read it.

I love it when that happens :smile2: I hope it turns out to be an excellent read!  

Me too! :)

I have Guns, Germs and Steel on my TBR pile. It's a bit of a monster, and I can't imagine it's light reading. In fact, I'm sure I started it a year or so ago but had to put it down because I wasn't in the mood to 'get it'.

Yes, GG&S is definitely a slow read. Fascinating, but slow. :)

I thought The Interpretation of Murder was fun but it's not 'spectacular' or 'fiendishly clever' (which is what The Guardian said :doh:  :D ).

I think I'll enjoy the writing style, at least. :)

I seem to be in the mood to read mysteries set around the late 1800s/early 1900s. Even though I've already got a couple of books on the go, I couldn't help but start MRC Kasasian's The Curse of the House of Foskett. I enjoyed the first book so much that I didn't want to wait too long to read the second.

Never did start H is for Hawk, as much as I wanted to. I had to spend a couple of hours by myself in town and on impulse bought Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction. In Costa, I only intended to read a few pages to see what it was like, but ended up reading 60 pages as it's so gripping (would have read more but had to leave)! :o It started off by talking about amphibians disappearing at unprecedented levels, and as frogs are one of my favourites and would love to work in their conservation, I was hooked. Looks like it's going to be a very good book! 

Never did start H is for Hawk, as much as I wanted to. I had to spend a couple of hours by myself in town and on impulse bought Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction. In Costa, I only intended to read a few pages to see what it was like, but ended up reading 60 pages as it's so gripping (would have read more but had to leave)! :o It started off by talking about amphibians disappearing at unprecedented levels, and as frogs are one of my favourites and would love to work in their conservation, I was hooked. Looks like it's going to be a very good book!

Ana,and I have done frog conservation a few times, moving frogs by picking them up, putting them in a bucket, and moving them to safety, before an annual meadow mowing in Sheffield!!

Ana got on BBC local news, saying about frogs "I like them..they're cute!!"

Ana,and I have done frog conservation a few times, moving frogs by picking them up, putting them in a bucket, and moving them to safety, before an annual meadow mowing in Sheffield!!

Bless her! I think they are too. I used to have a pet one who would sit on my hand and eat offered flies when I tickled his nose with them :D 

Whoops, I better stick to the topic. I'm re-reading an Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Affair At Styles,  long time since I've read any of hers. It's a nice light read, just what I need at the moment.

Edited by poppy

I'm enjoying Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void but I'm putting it aside for three days to read my read-a-thon books, as I can't read this book for long without the need to process it for a little while. But I'm enjoying it a lot that I look forward to going back to it already, why do I do this to myself :giggle2:. I'll be reading a variety of shorter books this weekend.

I had to spend a couple of hours by myself in town and on impulse bought Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction. In Costa, I only intended to read a few pages to see what it was like, but ended up reading 60 pages as it's so gripping (would have read more but had to leave)! :o It started off by talking about amphibians disappearing at unprecedented levels, and as frogs are one of my favourites and would love to work in their conservation, I was hooked. Looks like it's going to be a very good book! 

I have this book on my wishlist. I'm glad to hear it's going so well!

Aw, that's lovely. :)

Bless her! I think they are too. I used to have a pet one who would sit on my hand and eat offered flies when I tickled his nose with them :D 

Whoops, I better stick to the topic. I'm re-reading an Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Affair At Styles,  long time since I've read any of hers. It's a nice light read, just what I need at the moment.

I'm a bit scared of frogs. I think it's their unpredictability that scares me. My brother was once holding one in his hand and it jumped onto his stomach. It didn't bother him, but it would have freaked me out. I don't mind them from a distance though.  :blush2:

I think The Mysterious Affair at Styles was one of the first Agatha Christie books I ever bought. I keep reading others before it though. I actually have it on my list of 'priority books' for this year because I've been neglecting it for too long. :)

Ah that's lovely! :D Frogs are incredible animals.

I have this book on my wishlist. I'm glad to hear it's going so well!

It's a really good book, would thoroughly recommend to everyone! You'll enjoy it. 

I've just now finished We Need To Talk About Kelvin. Some parts were very interesting, but many bits went right over my head.

I'll be finishing Random Acts of Senseless Violence soon, and then starting on Elizabeth Is Missing.