Your List of the Top-5 Modern Day Horror Authors

Top 5 Horror Author (in no specific order):

1. Stephen King.

2. Brian Keene.

3. Robert McCammon.

4. Dan Simmons.

5. Peter Straub.

Honorable Mention: Richard Matheson.

I've been working on this list, it's strictly my opinion. I'm anxious to hear others top 5 list.
I took into consideration both the quanity & quality of each's literature work. Therefore, i didnt list authors such as Ketchum because although I really liked The Girl next Door, i cant say the same about his others, so consistency counts ;)
(Same with Joe Hill but his career is young). Also, Koontz wasnt listed because he's over-rated & boring, Laymon wasn't listed because he puts out way too much junk & Clive Barker isn't listed because I've never read a single book of his, though from what I hear, he probably belongs here on the list.

I don't read a huge amount of horror, but I have to agree with you on Stephen King, and Dean Koontz. Love the former, gave up on the latter after many tries.

Yeah it's funny I guess, I don't read as much horror anymore either but horror is what got me into reading so I always pay it tribute out of sentimental value lol.. There was once a time when it was all I read (literally) but I have since became more of a murder-mystery & thriller fan. But I do still like horror novels.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well your list is def missing one of the best horror/crime authors of the last 20 years the great John Connolly! I met him recently at a book tour, this was in Toppings book store in Bath...and here is the pic to share with you...

meandjc_zpsdw1bj0hb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great pic!

Never properly met an author, but I was walking through a bookshop (as you do) a few years back to find Terry Pratchett signing copies. The queue was waaaaayyyy too long for me to join, but it was nice to see a proper author in the flesh.

Going back to the original topic...

Stephen King and Dean Koontz (although Koontz doesn't write horror any more) are favourites of mine. I still haven't read any Joe Hill, which is something I need to put right soon.