Mad Max remake

vodkafan

I am having a day off next thursday so I can watch Mad Max at the cinema.  The cinema is on the same piece of land as the Virgin gym where I go so I can stay there most of the afternoon into the evening. It is a shame that the Bowling Alley is no longer there; it has been taken over and made into a Matalan shop. In the past the gym, a good movie and a couple hours'  ten pin bowling made a nice little trio of activities to fill a day with.

Now the corner where Matalan is is full of very loud chavy women in hideous leopard print leggings and huge clumpy platform  heels coming out clutching even more almost identical leopard print leggings .

Anyway I digress...anybody else planning to watch Mad Max?

I don't think I'll watch it. I had a bad reaction to watching the first Mad Max. I don't know if I was just in a bad place at the time, but I thought it was the most disturbing movie I had ever seen. I've since rewatched parts of it and it doesn't seem quite as bad, but the memories of how I felt the first time I watched it are still there. The things they were doing to other humans were just awful. And while I've seen stuff at least as bad, or worse, in other movies, it was somehow much worse in MM. Needless to say, I haven't seen the second or third movies.

I read an article that linked to the most sexist website I've ever seen, where men are boycotting the movie because it is too 'feminist'.  :roll:

I don't think I'll watch it. I had a bad reaction to watching the first Mad Max. I don't know if I was just in a bad place at the time, but I thought it was the most disturbing movie I had ever seen. I've since rewatched parts of it and it doesn't seem quite as bad, but the memories of how I felt the first time I watched it are still there. The things they were doing to other humans were just awful. And while I've seen stuff at least as bad, or worse, in other movies, it was somehow much worse in MM. Needless to say, I haven't seen the second or third movies.

I read an article that linked to the most sexist website I've ever seen, where men are boycotting the movie because it is too 'feminist'.  :roll:

Kylie, the first Mad Max is a very disturbing film. The second one, Road Warrior, is very different and in many ways superior. It has humour in it and a lot of heroism , not just of the main character but also the bravery of ordinary people who sacrifice to help others. It really is a superb film. I think if you watch that one Kylie it would help you get over the first one!

I have just been reading reviews of Fury Road which criticize too much CGI (a big pet hate of mine) and compare it directly to Road Warrior, which is a better film according to the reviewer.  Also  there seems no doubt that the female characters are more important in the film; Charlize Theron has more of a purpose and a mission than Max, it seems. But like a lot of films today the "feminism" is really disguised Hollywood sexism; apparently all the old ugly women die and only the pretty young ones survive. 

We'll be going sometime next week.  It just started here yesterday (Friday).  I haven't seen the original films though. 

Let me know what you think of it Kate?

I definitely won't be seeing it. I didn't see the originals (a bit before my time) and having seen the trailer the remake looks like what I can only describe as violence and gore. Not my cup of tea.

I don't remember much about the first of the movies from when I watched it. I only remember that they made me watch the second movie, too. And I remember begging for mercy when they wanted to watch the third movie right after that. It was painful :D 

:D  I'd watched a trailer of the new one online and "persuaded" my husband to watch it.  He didn't think he'd be interested, but after seeing the trailer, we both want to see it. 

We've seen Tom Hardy in a couple of other films....mostly supporting roles, Inception, Star Trek and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy.   But he played in a one person film, Locke.  A man in a car...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locke_(film)  He was truly fabulous. 

And of course there is Charlize Theron, she's good. 

I'll be interested to see some opinions of this. I saw the trailer the last time I was at the cinema and thought it looked good, but wondered if I was seeing all the good bits in the trailer!

I saw it tonight. Just got back. Saw it in 3D. 

The critics are right about one thing, Max is totally "out-maxed" by the character played by Charlize Theron. The film is really more about her and Max becomes her sidekick. I think what we are seeing in this film is another historical "Ripley" type moment like Alien was . There is no concession to this female character Imperator Furiosa being there as pretty to look at and no suggestion of any romance. I have no idea how they got Theron's arm to look like it was missing half- I guess some CGI and a disabled body double. Nobody can fault Theron for taking this part and she is completely believable in it.

The plot is a bit of a no-brainer and there is  zero character development.

Tom Hardy in my opinion was a very poor choice as Max. When there was opportunity for at least a bit of dialogue Max was completely silent. He makes' Mel Gibson's Max look like Shakespeare.

When Theron talks he usually just grunts and nods. This is unfortunate because it also makes him look a bit stupid and just a follower.

There was the inevitable CGI destruction and over the top explosions but it was not as bad as some films.

Hey James, well, we went this afternoon as well.  :)

Fast moving doesn't even begin to cover the feeling of the film.  Constant action, constant movement, chasing, explosions, and the dirt!  Gagggg, the dirt/sand. The different types of characters, and boy, I mean characters! that populated the movie were incredible.  Extreme to say the least. 

It's true, there wasn't enough in the way of character development. However we did get the flavor of Theron's character, and the flashbacks of Max were telling as well. I don't think it's much of a spoiler though to say her character was "Ripley-like". Even down to the shaved head. :) They show that in the previews.  Strong and silent characters let the action do their talking for them.

I haven't seen the original Mad Max movies, so have no point of comparison.  I've really been put off of Mel Gibson films, if only for the reason he seems to enjoy hurting himself too much.  Really. 

Boy, they certainly didn't mind killing off what I thought were mainstay characters though, did they!?

Hi Kate glad you enjoyed it. What did your husband think? Did you know that the spikey VW beetles of the bandits that chased them early in the film were copied from the film The Cars That Ate Paris?

Sorry to hear it was disappointing for you, James. :(

I guess Pontalba was able to enjoy it more because she didn't have the previous movies to compare it to.

That's OK. It was about what I expect from films nowadays. I didn't go in with great expectations. It is very hard to find a movie that is not just style over substance. Some of the action (not just in this film, in mean in all new films) is so fast that it is almost subliminal, you are onto the next thing before your brain has really taken it in. So you don't really emotionally react. You come out of the cinema and you think for a few minutes Wow but like a quick takeaway burger it doesn't leave any lasting memory in the brain. I do hope that this trend comes to an end soon.

Hi Kate glad you enjoyed it. What did your husband think? Did you know that the spikey VW beetles of the bandits that chased them early in the film were copied from the film The Cars That Ate Paris?

Husband liked it as well.  Fortunately our tastes are both very similar and wide ranging.  Anything from Mad Max to 2046 to Inception. :)

I haven't heard of The Cars That Ate Paris.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cars_That_Ate_Paris  Ohhhhh....sounds delightful!

Shades of Wayward Pines.  Heh  :roll::D  At least the beginning.

I guess Pontalba was able to enjoy it more because she didn't have the previous movies to compare it to.

That may well be true.  Makes me want to look up the old ones......lol

That's OK. It was about what I expect from films nowadays. I didn't go in with great expectations. It is very hard to find a movie that is not just style over substance. Some of the action (not just in this film, in mean in all new films) is so fast that it is almost subliminal, you are onto the next thing before your brain has really taken it in. So you don't really emotionally react. You come out of the cinema and you think for a few minutes Wow but like a quick takeaway burger it doesn't leave any lasting memory in the brain.

Everything you say is true, and there are so many films that I wouldn't get within a mile of.  I really cannot believe the inane crap that is out there that people just gobble up.  You know you mentioned Ripley up thread, and I think that's really what I liked about the film.  Independent woman helping other women.  Plus I'd seen Tom Hardy in a couple of films and he really is an excellent actor.

I do hope that this trend comes to an end soon.

Don't hold your breath.

You come out of the cinema and you think for a few minutes Wow but like a quick takeaway burger it doesn't leave any lasting memory in the brain. I do hope that this trend comes to an end soon.

:D Good analogy!

There is an excellent article in the Guardian today about the feminism in Mad Max.

Well written and extremely incisive.  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/27/sexists-are-scared-of-mad-max-because-it-is-a-call-to-dismantle-patriarchies?CMP=ema_565

Well worth the read.

an excerpt:  (bolding mine)

And that’s what makes the movie so forward-thinking: it’s not feminist because Theron’s character gets to engage in as much violence as any other action lead, but because the world director and writer George Miller has created shows the horror of sexism and the necessity of freedom from patriarchy. That is what’s truly terrifying to some men – not that Theron has more lines than actor Tom Hardy.

I'm refusing to go and see it as I love the first two films (third one is meh..) Mel Gibson fit the part so well and of course there was Dog in the first two also, no Cattle Dog in this one so no reason to see it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LA5c0b4VeE

Do you mean there was a real dog in it?

Most of the time, when I see a pet of any sort in a film, I'm tense...thinking that as usual the pet will be sacrificed somehow.

But I cry at the opening music of Lassie. At least when I was young....I don't watch animal pics anymore because of that. Just can't stand it.

Yep, a real dog, in fact an Australian Cattle Dog (I have two of the breed and they are real characters!) :)

Oh, I miss having dogs.  I always did until about 5 years ago, We always had dogs and cats.  Now there are only two cats left, and one really hates dogs, so it's pretty impossible atm. 

Oh, just googled pics of them.....great!