BBC's Your Life on Earth

Kylie

This website is pretty cool. You enter your birth date, gender and height, and it presents details relating to you and earth. From the BBC website:

Find out how, since the date of your birth, your life has progressed; including how many times your heart has beaten, and how far you have travelled through space.

Investigate how the world around you has changed since you've been alive; from the amount the sea has risen, and the tectonic plates have moved, to the number of earthquakes and volcanoes that have erupted.

Grasp the impact we've had on the planet in your lifetime; from how much fuel and food we've used to the species we've discovered and endangered.

And see how the BBC was there with you, capturing some of the most amazing wonders of the natural world.

For example, I'm 33 years old on Earth, but 137 years old on Mercury. Also, there have been 159 major earthquakes during my lifetime. And so on...there are loads of interesting facts!

Check yours out and let us know what interesting facts you discover. :)

What's really scary is that the oil and coal reserves will run out during my lifetime! I'll be in my early 90s, but my kids and grand kids will definitely see it happen.

Oh, and I'd be 157 on Mercury with a birthday in 57 days time. I'm 38. :)

It's scary, isn't it, Kell? Back when I was in high school, I'm sure we were told that oil and coal would run out within about 20 years (which would make it around five years from now). While it's nice to see that hasn't happened, it's not much better seeing that they're still going to run out in our lifetime!

It will mean whole cities go out of business. Aberdeen will collapse in on itself without the oil industry. It happened once before and people just handed the keys to their homes to the bank and left. There are no other major key industries in Aberdeen. There's hardly any fishing of farming industry around there now, especially in comparison to what there used to be - it's all oil, and retail and entertainments to cater to the oil industry. Once the oil industry goes, it's down the tubes for Aberdeen unless they can really dig in and find an alternative industry (or two or three!) to base in the area, because to be brutally honest, tourism ain't gonna cut it.

Wow, I had no idea that Aberdeen was an oil city. I really wish we all had governments that planned ahead and thought in the longer term. We've received plenty of warning of what's going to happen, and yet we won't do anything until the problem reaches a critical point and we're forced to act.  :doh: