Ever been taken completely by a new genre approached with no or little expectation?

The 'Gaiman' adventure continues for me within the covers of "American Gods" as per my introduction. All part of a promise this year to explore each and every genre, whatever my prior expectation, where I have never left a footprint previously.

"He was looking at Mr Nancy, an old black man with a pencil moustache, in his check sports jacket and his lemon-yellow gloves, riding a carousel lion as it rose and lowered, high in the air; and, at the same time, in the same place, he saw a jewelled spider as high as a horse, its eyes an emerald nebula, strutting, staring down at him; and simultaneously he was looking at an extraordinarily tall man with teak-coloured skin and three sets of arms, wearing a flowering ostrich-feather headdress, his face painted with red stripes, riding an irritated gold lion...and behind all of these things, Shadow was looking at a tiny brown spider, hiding under a withered ochre leaf"

...the literary equivalent (for me!) of balancing on my head while rotation along a vertical line!

A simple question for all that - and I'd really like to know; ever been taken completely by a new genre approached with no or little expectation, at the first time of asking? Or indeed incredibly disappointed by it (and the work in question)?

Thanks. Sean.

It's always nice to discover a new genre that you like, or to rediscover an old genre that you've forgotten about. When I was a teenager, one of my friends told me about this trilogy of books and how she loved them (they were David B. Coe - The Chronicles of Lontobyn series). She let me borrow them and that was the first time I read a (n adult epic high) fantasy book, and I loved the genre straight away. I read lots of fantasy the few years after that. Then I was recommended a science-fiction trilogy (epic space opera) by my boyfriend's brother (Peter F. Hamilton - Night's Dawn series) and I read those and loved the science-fiction genre, which I hadn't I think read much of before. A few years later I started to go to the book fair and found some nice books there, and through that I rediscovered genres I had forgotten about, such as contemporary fiction and chick-lit. I also got (back) into detectives after finding some Baantjer books at the library sale or at the charity shop. Nowadays I read a variety of genres though I read more of some genres than of others. It's great to discover a new or to rediscover an old genre, and really enjoy it.

Of course, being disappointed can also happen. It hasn't really happened to me yet I think, that I remember :).