Dan's BCF Reading Journey 2015

DRS1995

Welcome to my first ever Reading Blog :)

Contents

Page 1 - Introduction / Targets

Page 2 - Books Read / TBR List

Page 3 - Thoughts So Far

Page 4 - Top Book Review 

This is probably going to be a little bit different compared to the other reading blogs you'll find on this forum. This is mainly due to the fact that I have never kept track of the books I have read before, and quite frankly, with comic books as an exception, I have barely read anything at all this year! So, this reading blog will be following my reading journey since joining BCF a couple of days ago and detailing/reviewing the books I have read since May 2015.

You'll also find that I have a VERY small TBR list. I'm not the type of person to keep track of books I want to read, I much prefer walking into a library or a book store without any expectations and picking up something that peaks my interest. Although, of course there are a few books I will want to read in the future.

After reading a few other blogs on this forum, I'll be giving a rating for each books in the same format a few other people seem to be using:

1/5 - I didn't like it

2/5 - It was OK

3/5 - I liked it

4/5 - I really liked it

5/5 - I loved it!

Targets for 2015

- Read 30 new books

- Try a new genre other than Sci-Fy / Fantasy / Horror

- Try at least 5 new authors

Edited by DRS1995

Books Read (May 2015 onwards)

A Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin (Currently reading)

TBR List

Not entirely sure how long this is going to get, I wouldn't imagine too long. As I've said before - I prefer to go into a bookstore without any expectations and find something that interests me.

A Clash of Kings 

A Storm of Swords 

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons - All of the above by George R.R Martin 

Swords of Good Men - Snorri Kristjansson

The Long Utopia - Terry Pratchett

Edited by DRS1995

Thoughts So Far

This page is going to be edited / updated somewhat regularly. I'll be using this as a place to write down my initial thoughts, feelings and criticisms towards the book that I am currently reading. I will then refer back to this page when writing my review for that particularly book - I thought it may be interesting to see if my initial reactions change throughout the books, and if so, in what way they change.

I will try to keep this page as spoiler free as possible but I cannot promise anything! If I am writing down something that could be deemed as a spoiler, there will be a big bold note telling you!

Book currently reading: A Game of Thrones - George R.R Martin

*A few sort of spoilers are included (No names are ever mentioned)*

So far, I am roughly about 15-20% of the way through (Around about 150 pages read so far). This may come as a surprise to a few people but although I am really enjoying the book, I am a little bit disappointed! This is probably because I gave it really high expectations - as I've never watched the TV show I had no idea what was going to happen other than 'everyone dies' as a lot of people seem to put it. So far, no one has died! Well, other than the 3 in the prologue and characters we know nothing about and are just part of the background. I'm guessing a 'main' character is going to die pretty soon as they're in a coma (but I may be wrong). Although I am a little bit disappointed that no one has died yet, I get the feeling it's going to kick off soon which I am really looking forward too!

I found it difficult to keep track of everything at the beginning, but now I've given it a few more chapters I seem to have gotten into the swing of everything and have found myself not wanting to put the book down, it's just a shame I don't have more time to read! The style of writing is fantastic and you get a really vivid image of the world surrounding the characters.

Each character is portrayed really well and I love the way he seems to make every character different. I've already picked my top 3 characters; Jon Snow, Bran and Ayra - not entirely sure why but I seemed to enjoy their chapters more than any of the others and warmed to them quite quickly - Be interesting to know what I think about them at the end of the books.

Edited by DRS1995

Just keeping this post free in the somewhat unlikely case the other two posts become full.

Just keeping this post free in the even more unlikely case that the other three posts become full.

:lol:

I'm so excited for you! Reading blogs are soooo much fun, and just you wait! You'll soon be picking up reading suggestions all over the place, it's impossible not to here!

Hi Dan I like the way you have got straight into the swing of things.  I had to smile at your thinking your TBR will stay small. That's what we all said too.  

I see one of your targets for this year is to try other genres. 

Edited by vodkafan

:)  Everyone handles their book thread differently.  And all of them are correct.  So, don't worry about any of that!  Just follow your heart with it. 

I know lots of posters here are very organized and have plans/lists etc, but that's way too organized for me.  So, happy posting!

:lol:I'm so excited for you! Reading blogs are soooo much fun, and just you wait! You'll soon be picking up reading suggestions all over the place, it's impossible not to here!

Aha, we'll just have to wait and see how addicted I get!

Hi Dan I like the way you have got straight into the swing of things. I had to smile at your thinking your TBR will stay small. That's what we all said too.

I see one of your targets for this year is to try other genres.

I seem to be getting that feel from a lot of people. And yes, being a big gamer and comic book reader I've barely stepped outside of Sci-Fy, horror and fantasy so I thought I'd try something a little different.

Edited by DRS1995

Nice to see a new reading log on here, I hope you have a lot of fun with it :smile2: 

You'll also find that I have a VERY small TBR list. I'm not the type of person to keep track of books I want to read, I much prefer walking into a library or a book store without any expectations and picking up something that peaks my interest. Although, of course there are a few books I will want to read in the future.

I like the sound of just going in to a library or a bookstore and picking out whatever takes your fancy and going with it :) Sounds rather ideal! 

To those who may not have seen - I've added a 'Thoughts so far' page for the book I'm currently reading. Would be cool to know if any of you had the same feelings at the beginning of the books as well :)

• 4 weeks later...