Another newbie arrives..

DRS1995

Good evening everyone - another newbie has arrived and I thought I'd just take a few minutes to introduce myself.

My name is Dan, I'm 20, I work full time in administration whilst studying a Business Management degree in the evenings - yes, it is just as hard as you would imagine!

I grew up more on video games and television rather than books, in fact I didn't really pick up my first 'proper book' until I started secondary school in my English literature classes - didn't like any of the books they chose (Not quite sure how I passed that class). It wasn't until I started college that I started to read comic books; The Walking Dead, Batman, X-men and that is when I started enjoying reading. I then picked up a few old books I had; early Harry Potter, Digital Fortress and the Narnia series - this eventually took me more towards the Scy-Fy / Fantasy genres and I recently bought A Game of Thrones, which although I am enjoying, given how little time I have to read, find it quite difficult to keep up with the story line and all the characters.

Anyway, I hope this can be the forum that I finally call home and enjoy recommending books to you all and vice versa :)

It definitely is - I may have to use the recommendations page to find something a little less heavy. No, I do not watch the TV show, I never got around to it, the only thing I know about it is that everyone dies.

Welcome Dan! If you like fantasy I would recommend the Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance. Definitely lighter than GOT and more humorous, but lots going on.  Out of print, but can be picked up on Amazon for pennies.

Welcome here :)! I used to play video games quite a bit but I don't do so much anymore. A Game of Thrones is indeed a big book with lots of characters. I personally quite like the A Song of Ice and Fire series (of which A Game of Thrones is the first book), but I understand it's not for everyone, it can be difficult to keep track of all the characters. I love fantasy and science-fiction too (as well as many other genres), I'd be happy to recommend you some books.

Noll, :lol:!

Ahhh! So many to reply too - thank you for the welcome though :)

Welcome Dan! If you like fantasy I would recommend the Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance. Definitely lighter than GOT and more humorous, but lots going on.  Out of print, but can be picked up on Amazon for pennies.

Thank you for the recommendation, I may give GoT a little bit more time before I look into others.

Welcome; we have quite a few gamers around here as well. Have you read the graphic novel "Watchmen"? 

I have not, no. I've read the more stereotypical stuff like Batman and Superman.

Hi Dan! Welcome to the forum!

Fantasy is not my forté, so I'll ask the other all important question here - X-box, Playstation or PC? :lol:

I'd love a high end £2000 PC but I don't have the kind of money :( So the PS4 it is.

Welcome here :)! I used to play video games quite a bit but I don't do so much anymore. A Game of Thrones is indeed a big book with lots of characters. I personally quite like the A Song of Ice and Fire series (of which A Game of Thrones is the first book), but I understand it's not for everyone, it can be difficult to keep track of all the characters. I love fantasy and science-fiction too (as well as many other genres), I'd be happy to recommend you some books.

Noll, :lol:!

I may take you up on that soon - I am going to give GoT a little longer first.

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...