Top 5 Novels Written In The Last Decade..

Novel

The best books that I have read that were published in the last decade were:

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

The Poisinwood Bible by Barbara Kinsolver

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Of course there are others I would like to add.:D

This is very difficult but my personal choice from the ones I have read are:-

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor

Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

• 4 weeks later...
I've been thinking about this for a while, because it was really hard, and came up with these:

Atonement by Ian McEwan (film's pretty damn good too)

The Turning by Tim Winton

The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

If I had read Atonement at the time I posted my favourite 5 books, then I would have definitely included it.

I don

I'm a new Pratchett fan, but Where's My Cow is referenced in Thud! What's the original context of the phrase?

Where's My Cow? is the book that Sam Vimes read every night at 6-o-clock every night to his son, young Sam. Pratchett released the book as a side-project to Thud! and it's wonderful. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd read to my own children if I had any (despite the "b*ggrit" in the text). The illustrations are wonderful and the writing is typical of Terry's witty, wry style. It's an addition that should be made to every Pratchett fan's collection, whether they're a fan who's followed Pratchett from the start, or has just discovered the joys of the Discworld.

You can read my brief review of it HERE.

Where's My Cow? is the book that Sam Vimes read every night at 6-o-clock every night to his son, young Sam. Pratchett released the book as a side-project to Thud! and it's wonderful. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd read to my own children if I had any (despite the "b*ggrit" in the text). The illustrations are wonderful and the writing is typical of Terry's witty, wry style. It's an addition that should be made to every Pratchett fan's collection, whether they're a fan who's followed Pratchett from the start, or has just discovered the joys of the Discworld.

You can read my brief review of it HERE.

Oh... yes I knew it was in Thud! but I didn't realise he'd released it separately.

John Irving did something similar. One of the main characters in Widow For One Year (great book) was a chidren's writer and John Irving published the book the fictional author wrote. A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make A Sound. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ljoMAAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:John+inauthor:Irving

I pre ordered it on Amazon and read it to my son regularly. He's to old now for Where's My Cow?

• 1 year later...

I'm sure here are huge numbers of deserving novels written in the last decade that I haven't yet read but my favourites were:

Peace Like a River - Leif Enger

Flash House - Aimee Liu

Lighthousekeeping - Jeanette Winterson

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

Small Island - Andrea Levy

David Mitchell - Ghostwritten

David Mitchell - Number 9 Dream

David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas

David Mitchell - Black Swan Green

and something else, probably either

John Lanchester - Fragrant Harbour (The Debt To Pleasure is better, but 1996)

Audrey Nieffeneger - Time Traveller's Wife

I'm ashamed to admit it, but before tonight I had never heard of David Mitchell. Your post, and a few others expressing admiration for Cloud Atlas, piqued my interested, and so I started digging. I found this, and I thought you might like it.

"Writing is a strange business transaction, which occurs largely between the imaginations of complete strangers who will stay complete strangers...." ~ David Mitchell interview

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/1100/mitchell/interview.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its only one book, but i love half a yellow sun by chimimanda ngozi adichie, i thought it was beautifully written, and such an intense plot and characters, need some more suggestions for similar reads? thanks

• 2 months later...
Louis De Bernieres- Birds without wings. I have a signed first edition hard back of this. Amazing book.

oooh I have this on my to be read list

I would have to think carefully about this but for now

The Time Travellers Wife, Audrey Niffenegger

Two Caravans, Marina Lewycka

The Beach, Alex Garland

I will have to think about the others

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy

Tuesday's With Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom

The Fighter - Craig Davidson

[EDIT] I would like to add The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly to this list.

Edited by Adam