What's Up in May? 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got back from Prague on Sunday, the weather was great the whole trip so I was less than impressed with the weather I came back to. :giggle2:

I'm glad you had great weather during your trip! Did you like Prague? What's the weather like in the UK at the moment, rainy I take it :giggle2:.

I'm glad you had great weather during your trip! Did you like Prague? What's the weather like in the UK at the moment, rainy I take it :giggle2:.

I loved it and I found everything to be really good value, I was surprised at how little I spent while I was there. It's been raining on and off since I came back and we are forecast more showers tomorrow but hopefully after that it will clear up a bit.

I loved it and I found everything to be really good value, I was surprised at how little I spent while I was there. It's been raining on and off since I came back and we are forecast more showers tomorrow but hopefully after that it will clear up a bit.

It was like that too when I was there :). I hope the weather will clear up.

Although I've been keeping up with reading the forum, haven't posted much the last few days, but I now have a couple of days off work and am feeling a lot brighter, so hoping to catch up with everyone properly again. :D

Got woken up by the sun shining in my eyes through the cracks in the blinds this morning … typically only on my side of the bed, OH was completely unaffected … but it's better than getting woken up by an alarm!  Especially after Tuesday night, when I got woken up at 1:40am by my next door neighbours dog barking, and he was still barking when I left for work, so I'd only had about two hours sleep.  I've had a chat with them about it, and they're just as concerned as me, and are trying something different with him now, and thankfully last night, I didn't hear a peep out of him.

Planning on sewing, reading, coffee drinking and just relaxing today, and as the weather's so nice, will definitely try to include a walk in that as well, although as changeable as it's been recently, knowing my luck, by the time I'm ready to go, it will be dark, cloudy and either windy or raining!  Gotta love the British summer! :lol:

I hope you have a nice, relaxing day, Claire :).

Yesterday we went to Den Bosch (or 's-Hertogenbosch if you want to use the older name) and did a lot of walking and some shopping. It was fun! I'm exhausted from it though so I hope I can rest and relax a bit today. I won't be able to do much because I'm too mentally tired for it, but I hope I can do a bit of reading at least.

Today I'm going doing  a leaflet-drop with some friends advocating a Yes vote for tomorrow's referendum (amending the constitution of Ireland to include gay marriage, so it's a constitutional right like heterosexual marriage) . It's the last effort of a massive campaign here in Cork (it has other branches in other counties, Cork's one has been amazing) to inform people about the facts of constitutionalising the right to gay marriage.

I haven't canvassed for it, as that made me too nervous - this just involves drop info leaflets in doors. Still a bit nervous, but want to do my part. Then heading down to Kerry tomorrow after to work to vote!

There has been some amazing support for the Yes vote here - there's a video featuring a lot of famous Brits saying if they could vote, they'd vote yes - and it includes Stephen Fry asking the Irish people as Gaegile (in Irish) to vote yes. Very powerful stuff.

Fingers crossed for the right outcome on Saturday!

Glad you had a nice day, Claire! :D And good luck with the referendum, too, Noll. :)

Been a bit of a strange day. Last night I was feeling sick out of the blue (thankfully, because I get it quite often, I knew exactly what to do and managed to resolve it and then sleep it off), then woke up at 12 because the cleaner was hoovering in the corridor and kept smacking my door with it (was still one of the first in the flat to wake up though!). Then went down to the sea front for a few hours to say goodbye to one of my best friends, who's leaving to go home tomorrow morning. :( But we'll be living together next year though with some of our other friends, and she only lives 100 miles from me (haha, only... one of my other besties lives in Penzance, the complete opposite side of the country to me, and another lives in Bermuda!) so we're planning to meet in Hastings at some point over the summer.

Skyping my parents tonight, too, which'll be nice :D Then just going to spend a long time reading (of course! :P )

Hope everyone is well! :D

Today I'm going doing  a leaflet-drop with some friends advocating a Yes vote for tomorrow's referendum (amending the constitution of Ireland to include gay marriage, so it's a constitutional right like heterosexual marriage) . It's the last effort of a massive campaign here in Cork (it has other branches in other counties, Cork's one has been amazing) to inform people about the facts of constitutionalising the right to gay marriage.

I haven't canvassed for it, as that made me too nervous - this just involves drop info leaflets in doors. Still a bit nervous, but want to do my part. Then heading down to Kerry tomorrow after to work to vote!

There has been some amazing support for the Yes vote here - there's a video featuring a lot of famous Brits saying if they could vote, they'd vote yes - and it includes Stephen Fry asking the Irish people as Gaegile (in Irish) to vote yes. Very powerful stuff.

Fingers crossed for the right outcome on Saturday!

I will be keeping them crossed as well - and can I say a big thank you on behalf of everyone who will affected by the outcome of this vote. As you know my partner of 18 years (and husband of 9 months) is going through a change from male to female, so although I am not gay, this is still a subject close to my heart. It is not from where I stand even about gay rights, but about equality across the board, so that every man, woman or in between (and there are many of them) has the right to marry the person that they choose and love, as we both did. :kissing:    

Good luck with the referendum tomorrow, Noll! I have everything crossable crossed for Ireland! <3

Thanks!

I will be keeping them crossed as well - and can I say a big thank you on behalf of everyone who will affected by the outcome of this vote. As you know my partner of 18 years (and husband of 9 months) is going through a change from male to female, so although I am not gay, this is still a subject close to my heart. It is not from where I stand even about gay rights, but about equality across the board, so that every man, woman or in between (and there are many of them) has the right to marry the person that they choose and love, as we both did. :kissing:    

You're right, 'gay' has just sort of become shorthand for LGBT. (And it's quicker to say!) We actually just call it marriage equality most of the time, the Yes campaign is called Yes Equality. The no side try to claim its nothing to do with equality :roll:

The leaflet-drop was torture - I'm not physically cut out for that kind of carry on at all! :roll: Did it anyway, and now tis done, and tis down to the good people of Ireland. The stats look good, the important thing is just actually getting all the promised yeses to the polling stations - if we did that, we'd win it no problem. But time will tell.

Well done Noll for getting involved - good luck and hope the referendum picks equality. :)

Hayfever seems to be kicking in for me this morning, so I'm going to be carrying around a box of tissues with me today. :roll:

Going into town this morning, and then I really must try and get on with some sewing this afternoon.  I seem to keep running out of time at the moment, and I don't want to let it slip too long.

Well done Noll, for all your support for the issue. I really hope the referendum will pick the 'equality' side, this is so important.

I saw my brother briefly this morning, we'll see him again in a few days. Tonight we'll have dinner with my parents. I plan to rest a bit in the afternoon, hopefully finish my current read.

Tis a landslide Yes here in Ireland for marriage equality :) Haven't got the exact figures yet, but the equality minister has called it and the no side have conceded defeat. Ireland are officially the first country in the world to decide, as a nation by popular vote, to legalise gay marriage. Wahey! Very proud to be Irish today :lol:

Tis a landslide Yes here in Ireland for marriage equality :) Haven't got the exact figures yet, but the equality minister has called it and the no side have conceded defeat. Ireland are officially the first country in the world to decide, as a nation by popular vote, to legalise gay marriage. Wahey! Very proud to be Irish today :lol:

I'm so happy for everyone :)!!

That is awesome Noll!  What an incredible response and a very proud moment for Ireland.

I'm just enjoying my last few days off work.  The last two weeks have flown by and I still haven't managed to accomplish half of what I wanted to do.  I have finished off the front garden though.  We had the last of the stones delivered and O's raked them into place.  So at least the front of the house looks tidy now.  I also managed to do one run to the tip with old kitchen bits, which cleared out some space in the back room (soon to be dining room, if I ever get around to it).

I have to admit though, that I have spent more time doing fun things, rather than DIY, so I can't really be surprised at not getting as much done.  We went to the local park on a couple of days and played tennis on the courts there.  This was my first time attempting tennis, so I use the term very loosely!  It was so much fun though and highly amusing.  We also took a trip to Manchester to get more work done on our tattoos.  I've had some watercolours added to the background of mine to make it pretty.  Needless to say, I haven't been doing much since then as it's still healing.  Although we have been playing boardgames and catching up on TV during the rainy days.

Tomorrow we are heading to Wembley Stadium to watch my football team in the play off finals.  It's going to be a really long day but I'm hoping a win will make it all worth while.  (My team have never won in the play offs and this is the 10th time we've made it, so hopefully we will break the pattern)  At least I will be able to catch up on some reading on the journey.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend...

We also took a trip to Manchester to get more work done on our tattoos.  I've had some watercolours added to the background of mine to make it pretty.  Needless to say, I haven't been doing much since then as it's still healing. 

Oooooh- What have you got?  I have quite a few myself :)  Always planning more, of course!

That is brilliant news, which I am so happy about - the times are indeed a changing ...

I have been pondering lately myself how to address the issue of Corans identity with the clients that I work with (most of whom have learning and/or behavioural disabilities). It wouldn't be an issue were it not for the Talent contest that we are taking part in in 2 weeks time, for which Coran has of course had to attend rehearsals. When we got married last year, I spoke about it with the clients, and they were very excited. Most of them just assumed that I was marrying a man, and on the advice of the Care Home Manager, I  went along with that, but it didn't really feel right to me, as it felt like I wasn't being honest and telling them the truth. Now that some of them though have seen Coran at the rehearsals, questions are being asked as to whether she is a man or a woman.

I therefore went to see our Quality Assurance Manager, who has more than 50 years experience in healthcare (there isn't much that he doesn't know or hasn't seen) and asked his advice. He said that he is actually planning some training courses for the staff in sexuality and relationships and following our conversations is now going to include trans issues, which is definitely a result. The advice was though to tell the clients whatever we feel comfortable with.

Despite the fact that the Care Manager thought the clients wouldn't understand, when Coran spoke to one of the clients last week and explained to her that she was a man trapped in a woman's body, she knew without prompting what the term for this was - a transsexual, and even told us that she had a friend with this condition. She even knew the names for the different male and female hormones and what role they play in all of this. You could have knocked me down with a feather. 

This is the same Manager that I had problems with last year, who kept picking holes in my work and moaning about the fact that I spoke so much to the clients and other staff, asking questions about different things. I have come to the conclusion following this, that the reason she didn't want the clients to know is so that she herself would not have to deal with it. That though is her stuff and not mine, and like it or not, she will have to deal with it, for I have no intention of hiding from anyone. I have resolved from now on to be as honest as I possibly can, as it not fair to the clients or myself, let alone Coran, the person I love. People can be very strange at times though. If only they could be more honest about their motivations, the world would be much better place !  In the meantime, I hope our Quality Assurance Manager books her a place on that course. I am not eligible myself unfortunately, as it is only for care staff.

Edited by Talisman