What's Up in May? 2015

chesilbeach

Sorry to hear about your step-mom losing her job, Abby!  Is there a reason your folks decided to head west?  I don't remember, but is your dad retired now?  

Good luck at the new/old job, Noll!  Work is definitely preferable to no work and I hope it turns out that you get to stay on permanently one of these days :D.  Who wouldn't hire someone as cool as you?!

I'm officially on vacation starting Saturday and will be jetting my way west to California for 10 whole days!  Can't wait to take a break from work and be with my siblings, nieces and nephews.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen some of them so I am WAY overdue.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck Noll!

I've been sick the last couple of days, so haven't been getting much reading in and not much posting either so :006:  everyone!

Thanks! Sorry to hear you've been sick (weren't you sick recently too? I could be confusing you with someone else though. Hope everything's alright!)

Good luck Noll :smile:

Thanks!

Good luck at the new/old job, Noll!  Work is definitely preferable to no work and I hope it turns out that you get to stay on permanently one of these days :D.  Who wouldn't hire someone as cool as you?!

I'm officially on vacation starting Saturday and will be jetting my way west to California for 10 whole days!  Can't wait to take a break from work and be with my siblings, nieces and nephews.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen some of them so I am WAY overdue.

I don't even know that I would want to stay on permanently to be honest. It's not the greatest working environment. Ooooh California! Hope you have an awesome time on your trip, it sounds great :)

Work is... hmm. I'm not really good at the stuff they've wanted me to do so far, so that's made me feel pretty useless and that makes me wish I hadn't taken the job. I dunno. Also,I tripped leaving the house today (going up the steps from my house to the street) and cut both knees and scraped my hand. One knee in particular is very sore now, so honestly I'm just feeling very sorry for myself at the moment!

I wish you a lot of fun with your family :)!

Work is... hmm. I'm not really good at the stuff they've wanted me to do so far, so that's made me feel pretty useless and that makes me wish I hadn't taken the job. I dunno. Also,I tripped leaving the house today (going up the steps from my house to the street) and cut both knees and scraped my hand. One knee in particular is very sore now, so honestly I'm just feeling very sorry for myself at the moment!

Awww :(. I'm sorry the job hasn't been feeling great, and I'm so sorry about your fall! I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Today is the book fair so I hope to find some nice books (without spending too much money or buying too much) :).

Morning all! It's been pretty busy on my end. Every evening after work I've been out shopping for shoes and work outfits. I haven't been gotten home before 8pm or later. As soon is rarely in before 10 and hubby is still working out of town there hasn't been much desire to rush home. Tonight will be different because hubby is coming home as he has a docks appointment in the am and he'll be home for the weekend, yaayyyyy!

Sorry to hear about your step-mom losing her job, Abby!  Is there a reason your folks decided to head west?  I don't remember, but is your dad retired now?  

Lucky you! what parts of California will you be visiting.

Thanks, Athena and Noll!  I will try and remember to post some photos :)

I hear you on the job front, Noll.  At the very least it's something to put on your CV, and people love seeing experience!  I hope you're scrapes heal up quickly.  I hate falling up steps, it's so awkward! :lol:

Glad to hear your hub is coming home this weekend, Virginia.

I'm working from home today, so it's nice to have wee Odin keep me company  :22:

I'll be spending the whole time in the south, Muggle.  Mostly in Ojai but also LA, San Diego and Long Beach.  I've got family all over!

Edited by Peacefield

Thanks! Sorry to hear you've been sick (weren't you sick recently too? I could be confusing you with someone else though. Hope everything's alright!)

Yes :rolleyes: The price of having a kindergartener :sneeze:  

Thanks! Sorry to hear you've been sick (weren't you sick recently too? I could be confusing you with someone else though. Hope everything's

Sounds like you need a :friends0: I am sorry about your fall.

I'll be spending the whole time in the south, Muggle.  Mostly in Ojai but also LA, San Diego and Long Beach.  I've got family all over!

Have fun in my state!  I hope it treats you well :)  And have a good time with the family.

Awww :(. I'm sorry the job hasn't been feeling great, and I'm so sorry about your fall! I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Today is the book fair so I hope to find some nice books (without spending too much money or buying too much) :).

Hope you enjoyed the book fair!

Thanks, Athena and Noll!  I will try and remember to post some photos :)

I hear you on the job front, Noll.  At the very least it's something to put on your CV, and people love seeing experience!  I hope you're scrapes heal up quickly.  I hate falling up steps, it's so awkward! :lol:

It is, but at least its less painful than falling down them, which I did just over a year ago. I can't do stairs, it's like I have an inner-ear problem and I just can't negotiate the rhythm necessary to go step step step. Sometimes, if it's a little dark, I'll actually panic and think I'm going to miss a step, for no reason :roll: I did trip over a lego bucket on the stairs when I was little, and fell about four steps - maybe that experience scarred me for life :lol:

Yes :rolleyes: The price of having a kindergartener :sneeze:  

Sounds like you need a :friends0: I am sorry about your fall.

:giggle: Awwww!

R.e. job and fall - thanks everyone. Stiff today (shoulder has joined the pain party, must have jarred it when I hit the ground!) but could be worse. And had a slightly better day today at work - had a meeting that went well and feel a bit more confident about the work I'm going to be doing (yesterday was a once-off thing, not my usual work). So looking forward to the weekend, though. :thud:

Hope everyone has a good Friday!

Morning all! It's been pretty busy on my end. Every evening after work I've been out shopping for shoes and work outfits. I haven't been gotten home before 8pm or later. As soon is rarely in before 10 and hubby is still working out of town there hasn't been much desire to rush home. Tonight will be different because hubby is coming home as he has a docks appointment in the am and he'll be home for the weekend, yaayyyyy!

I wish you a great weekend Virginia :).

Oh. I forgot to mention that my favorite library is right behind my office building!

That's great!

I'm working from home today, so it's nice to have wee Odin keep me company  :22:

That sounds nice :).

Hope you enjoyed the book fair!

I did, thanks :D. I'm very tired from it, but I had a lot of fun :). I'll be posting a list and photo of my new books in my book blog later today.

R.e. job and fall - thanks everyone. Stiff today (shoulder has joined the pain party, must have jarred it when I hit the ground!) but could be worse. And had a slightly better day today at work - had a meeting that went well and feel a bit more confident about the work I'm going to be doing (yesterday was a once-off thing, not my usual work). So looking forward to the weekend, though. :thud:

Hope everyone has a good Friday!

Awww :(. I hope you have a great weekend, Noll :)!

Eek, Noll!  Falling down stairs is always on my mind when I have to go many floors.  I start out great and then I hit a glitch and I'm gripping the rail and thinking about missing steps.  When I was about 3 yrs old I decided it was a good idea to go down a flight of stairs on my little four-wheeled plastic car.  Not a good idea! :lol:

Happy Friday, everyone, and happy weekend!  I haven't opened my suitcase up yet and began to pack so I'm sure I'll be up late tonight.  It's okay though because by then I'll officially be on vacation! 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

We're back from a weeks holiday, so need to sort myself out ready to go back to work tomorrow.  Hoping I can sort everything out this morning and then have one last relaxing afternoon before it's back to the early mornings!  Had a lovely time, with lots of reading, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Catching up with the forum first, then it'll be shopping for lunches and organising myself for tomorrow, then hopefully, I might have time for a bit of sewing this afternoon, and perhaps sneak in a bit more reading too. :)

Of to church this morning and then we've got to get hubby back to work in North Carolina. In about two weeks time he may be going to Virginia because of his work. He won't be making it home next weekend. The demands of the job. ..

At least I can keep busy with work and home improvements.

Yesterday it was Mother's Day here in the Netherlands. I spent a lot of time with my parents and with my boyfriend, and also with our dogs and our little chicken. The weather was lovely and we had our first barbecue of the year, delicious. This coming week I have a couple of appointments with the GGZ (mental health care), and then later in the week it's my dad's birthday so we will be celebrating it and there's family coming over. The next weekend will be a long one because it's Ascension Day on Thursday, so Thursday and Friday are I think days off for most people.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend and will have a good week too. The weather here (southern UK) is improving and I hope it stays this time!  My son has started his GCSE's today, I think I'm more nervous than he is, he has done a reasonable amount of revision I think, considering he isn't the most academically motivated of kids, he's fab at the subjects he loves (English Literature, Maths and PE which he is hoping to take at A Level) and a little less good at the others. He was very lucky that in English Literature he loved the chosen books, Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm, I'm not sure how lucky he will be at A Level. So fingers crossed they all go well for him, and for my daughter who is in Year 9 but taking 2 GCSE's too, Citizenship, which is a new one to the school (thanks Michael Gove!) and a one year Spanish which has proven to be extremely difficult with a very strange syllabus which means she can tell you all about her hobbies and the content of her pencilcase but can't order a meal or ask directions!

For myself I am busy with the garden, keeping it tidy and making up some baskets and pots for the summer, plus of course agility with Jojo, happy days!! :)

Oh, and Steve will be home on Thursday for two weeks and I can head off to some more dog shows, hurrah!! :) :) :)

Back to work today.  Not too bad in the end, but it's always a bit of a downer coming back to work after a holiday, compounded by some very disruptive new road works which will be in place for two weeks, and are going to add time and stress to my journey home. :roll:  Popped in to see my dad on the way home, so that made me a bit cheerier! :D

I hope everyone has had a good weekend and will have a good week too. The weather here (southern UK) is improving and I hope it stays this time!  My son has started his GCSE's today, I think I'm more nervous than he is, he has done a reasonable amount of revision I think, considering he isn't the most academically motivated of kids, he's fab at the subjects he loves (English Literature, Maths and PE which he is hoping to take at A Level) and a little less good at the others. He was very lucky that in English Literature he loved the chosen books, Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm, I'm not sure how lucky he will be at A Level. So fingers crossed they all go well for him, and for my daughter who is in Year 9 but taking 2 GCSE's too, Citizenship, which is a new one to the school (thanks Michael Gove!) and a one year Spanish which has proven to be extremely difficult with a very strange syllabus which means she can tell you all about her hobbies and the content of her pencilcase but can't order a meal or ask directions!

For myself I am busy with the garden, keeping it tidy and making up some baskets and pots for the summer, plus of course agility with Jojo, happy days!! :)

Oh, and Steve will be home on Thursday for two weeks and I can head off to some more dog shows, hurrah!! :) :) :)

Good luck to your children :)! I wish you lots of fun with Steve and Jojo and everything :)

Back to work today.  Not too bad in the end, but it's always a bit of a downer coming back to work after a holiday, compounded by some very disruptive new road works which will be in place for two weeks, and are going to add time and stress to my journey home. :roll:  Popped in to see my dad on the way home, so that made me a bit cheerier! :D

I hope the readworks won't be too bad :(. I'm glad you enjoyed spending some time with your dad :).

Today I spent several hours working on something for my dad's birthday (something artsy). My mum wants one of her presents to be an 'I-owe-you'-voucher thing for two things my dad wants (a watch and a DVD player), so she asked me to create something artsy for it (on the computer), which I have done. I'll be showing it to her tonight and she can then give me comments if she wants anything changed, and then I'll print it tomorrow.

I'm off to Prague tomorrow so I'm a little behind on my book reviews. It feels like I time is just flying by at the moment and I don't have a second to myself. At least when I get back on Sunday I'll have a week off work to hopefully catch up on stuff.

Have fun in Prague, Brian! I was there on holidays some years ago and I thought it was a beautiful city.

I have some errands to run in the morning, and this afternoon we will bake a cake for my dad whose birthday is tomorrow.

Edited by Athena

Have fun in Prague, Brian! :D And also good luck to your son, charliepud!

I finished year one of uni yesterday! The exams were...mixed... One absolutely disgusting, one tough (yet I know I've passed it as it was on a computer-based system and told you whether you'd passed as soon as you clicked Enter) and one that I liked.

Once yesterday's exam was done, a few of my friends and I went to Pizza Express as we had money off vouchers. Then we went back to a friend's flat for drinking games- Uno is a lot more fun when you're tipsy! :giggle:  :blush2: Today, those of us who are living together next year (seven of us- five girls and two boys, all from the course) went to look again at the house that we've got for next year, and then went out bowling with some more friends from our course. Tomorrow, we're off to Mount Edgecumbe to do some exploring! Going home in fifteen days, too, so there's a lot to look forward to right now.

Hope everyone is well.

I finished year one of uni yesterday! The exams were...mixed... One absolutely disgusting, one tough (yet I know I've passed it as it was on a computer-based system and told you whether you'd passed as soon as you clicked Enter) and one that I liked.

Congratulations on finishing the first year :)!

Yesterday we celebrated my dad's birthday, it was nice to see my extended family again :). I'm quite tired from it now though so I'll be resting a bit today.

Something came up on Thursday which meant a very late (and mostly sleepless) night, and then had to change Friday afternoon plans, so ended up falling asleep late yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, and then barely made it through the evening awake.  Have had a lie in this morning though, and feel a bit better, but have to work tomorrow, so need to make the most of today, but can't summon much enthusiasm at the moment.

As I was typing this, got an email to say my two library reservations have come in, so I guess I'm off to the library to pick up my books, and as I *have* to pass the coffee shop on the way there and back … well, it just writes itself, doesn't it? ;)

Life has been really busy. I've been working really hard at work and I usually don't get home til about 6 (after I make a few stops). I'm really enjoying my job and the people I work with.

Hubby will have to travel further away from home for about 8 more weeks. Good thing I know how to deal with distant relationships (Marine Corp) and I have no little ones at home. He should be coming home tomorrow to pick up his tools that he'll need for work.

No major plans today except to read and get caught up on my boards, go over this weeks bills and make my grocery list. The weather is gorgeous so I might spend time outside soaking in the vitamin D!

Congrats on finishing your first year, Tiger! (Still terrifying me that you're old enough to be in uni at all :thud: )

Glad your dad's birthday was fun, Gaia :)

Hope everything's okay, Claire :/

Went out for drinks last night with some people from work to say goodbye to a friend/colleague who has gotten a job with the Central Bank in Dublin. Very sad that she's leaving, she's one of the two people I get on best with from work. It was a great night though, and we're planning a roadtrip via Dublin and Newgrange to Malin Head over the summer so that's something to look forward to :)

Otherwise things are okay, I'm feeling pretty down/overwhelmed lately. Work is going okay, but I've always felt out of place at that job and will continue to. Just gotta get on with it, it's only short term and it'll generate a bit of cash.

Something came up on Thursday which meant a very late (and mostly sleepless) night, and then had to change Friday afternoon plans, so ended up falling asleep late yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, and then barely made it through the evening awake.  Have had a lie in this morning though, and feel a bit better, but have to work tomorrow, so need to make the most of today, but can't summon much enthusiasm at the moment.

As I was typing this, got an email to say my two library reservations have come in, so I guess I'm off to the library to pick up my books, and as I *have* to pass the coffee shop on the way there and back … well, it just writes itself, doesn't it? ;)

I hope everything is okay, Claire. I hope you enjoy your new library loans and that you can rest a bit today. 

Life has been really busy. I've been working really hard at work and I usually don't get home til about 6 (after I make a few stops). I'm really enjoying my job and the people I work with.

Hubby will have to travel further away from home for about 8 more weeks. Good thing I know how to deal with distant relationships (Marine Corp) and I have no little ones at home. He should be coming home tomorrow to pick up his tools that he'll need for work.

No major plans today except to read and get caught up on my boards, go over this weeks bills and make my grocery list. The weather is gorgeous so I might spend time outside soaking in the vitamin D!

I'm glad you're enjoying your job :). Good luck being apart from your husband for 8 weeks, that isn't easy. Michael and I used to live in seperate countries, so I'm familiar with that it can be difficult.

Went out for drinks last night with some people from work to say goodbye to a friend/colleague who has gotten a job with the Central Bank in Dublin. Very sad that she's leaving, she's one of the two people I get on best with from work. It was a great night though, and we're planning a roadtrip via Dublin and Newgrange to Malin Head over the summer so that's something to look forward to :)

Otherwise things are okay, I'm feeling pretty down/overwhelmed lately. Work is going okay, but I've always felt out of place at that job and will continue to. Just gotta get on with it, it's only short term and it'll generate a bit of cash.

I'm glad things are okay, I hope you feel less down and more happy soon though :flowers2:.

Yesterday the four of us (my parents, Michael and I) watched a film together and then had dinner together. In the morning I went to the city and to the library. I borrowed a lot of nice new books and I bought some second-hand books, some pasta etc.

I've been doing a lot of chores today and we also visited the garden centre in our street and bought some plants which were then planted in the garden. We talked to the owner a bit, my mum knows him. I've made pasta salad and done a lot of cleaning and dishes. I'm glad to sit down for a little while now and sort out some old CDs my mum gave to me. They are children's CDs that I used to listen to when I was a child and she said I could borrow them for a while, so I'll be having some nostalgic moments most likely :).