What's Up in May? 2015

chesilbeach

It's May already!

(I posted this in the April thread first of all, before I realised it was a new month :doh:)

It's decidedly nippy out considering it's the May Day bank holiday weekend … was hoping for the warmer weather to have settled in by now!  I guess I'll just have to make do with a long weekend reading, snuggled up somewhere warm instead. 

Hope everyone has a lovely bank holiday weekend!  :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That job interview I mentioned last week? I GOT IT!!! Benefits, holidays great hours, good pay, paid parking, yearly raises great location. ...I'm happy.

Congratulations Virginia!!

I'm sorry Claire, I didn't realise it was May so time for a new thread, either :blush2:.

I've got a lot of chores to do this weekend. My brother will be coming to visit later today, so that should be fun hopefully :). Then Monday is Memorial Day, so traditionally there is a ceremony in Amsterdam, and at 20:00 (or 8 PM), the whole country will be silent for 2 minutes. Then on Tuesday it's Liberation Day, which is an official day off every 5 years, and 2015 is one of those years. I expect there will be parades or such. I don't have plans to go out that day as there's a lot to do at home and it'll probably be busy in the city anyway. I'm participating in the read-a-thon this weekend, so I hope to do a lot of reading, and early next week I hope to be writing and typing a lot of reviews. I'm also excited because we have new baby chicken, so I hope in a couple of days more eggs will have hatched and they will start to show themselves a bit more (they're currently under the mother as they need to stay warm).

Congratulations Virginia!  Exciting times :)

Would love to see a picture of the baby chickens Athena.  I love Spring and all the baby animals <3

I'm sat here freezing my bits off.  It's supposed to be May but it definitely doesn't feel like it yet.  I hope the sunshine hurries up, because there is nothing better than sitting outside with a book in the sunshine.  I have some holiday time booked off from work in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping the temperatures will have picked up by then.

Not much up with me this weekend, any potential plans have been washed out by rain. Shame, as normally I'm fine with rain but given that its my last weekend before I start my new-old job, I'd have liked to do something in the sun. Oh well!

Nice day out today - had a wander around Waterstone's although didn't buy anything, but did indulge in a coffee and a read.  Keeping up with the cricket via TMS now, and going to sit down with my book for the rest of the afternoon.  :)

That job interview I mentioned last week? I GOT IT!!! Benefits, holidays great hours, good pay, paid parking, yearly raises great location. ...I'm happy.

Congratulations Virginia, that is great news.  :doowapstart:

Had a lovely day. Started the day with a trip on the Bluebell Railway, so named because of all the Bluebells you get to see this time of year.  :smile: There are quite a few about, also lots of primroses. The journey passes through some lovely countryside.

We had a hot chocolate then headed off to visit my parents for lunch. We took lunch with us, so all Mum and Dad had to do was to relax and enjoy. My Dad has his battery changed on his pacemaker this week and is feeling a little debilitated, so I think he enjoyed a bit of fuss and pampering. We left them with a tray of mini buns and a small box of chocolates. 

We are home now, and just enjoying catching up with ourselves a little. I'll make a cuppa soon and settle down with the ending of HP & The Half Blood Prince before getting on with our evening.  :smile:

Congratulations Virginia, that is great news.  :doowapstart:

Had a lovely day. Started the day with a trip on the Bluebell Railway, so named because of all the Bluebells you get to see this time of year.  :smile: There are quite a few about, also lots of primroses. The journey passes through some lovely countryside.

We had a hot chocolate then headed off to visit my parents for lunch. We took lunch with us, so all Mum and Dad had to do was to relax and enjoy. My Dad has his battery changed on his pacemaker this week and is feeling a little debilitated, so I think he enjoyed a bit of fuss and pampering. We left them with a tray of mini buns and a small box of chocolates. 

We are home now, and just enjoying catching up with ourselves a little. I'll make a cuppa soon and settle down with the ending of HP & The Half Blood Prince before getting on with our evening.  :smile:

That sounds like a pretty wonderful day. Glad that you enjoyed it all.

I spent the day mowing grass and working in the vegetable garden. I gave one neighbor a big bag of fresh spinach as she likes spinach salads almost as much as me.

That sounds like a pretty wonderful day. Glad that you enjoyed it all.

I spent the day mowing grass and working in the vegetable garden. I gave one neighbor a big bag of fresh spinach as she likes spinach salads almost as much as me.

Thanks muggle not.  :smile:  I've have got to get out into my garden jungle soon, and tame it a little bit. All my neighbours have been tending theirs for weeks now, but my opportunities have been limited of late. S'okay though, as I love a challenge!  :D

Would love to see a picture of the baby chickens Athena.  I love Spring and all the baby animals <3

They are in the Pets - 2015 thread, but for your ease:

19782_698137406957942_3381440796941393520_n.jpg

11174553_698138183624531_6194919039378512982_o.jpg

11175013_698138643624485_6188819111126288071_n.jpg

This morning we saw three of them, two black ones and one black-and-white (or black-and-yellow), they quickly hid under their mother though when we came in. I expect though in a few days, when they will need to eat and drink, that we'll see them more often :).

Not much up with me this weekend, any potential plans have been washed out by rain. Shame, as normally I'm fine with rain but given that its my last weekend before I start my new-old job, I'd have liked to do something in the sun. Oh well!

Awwww :(.

I'm sat here freezing my bits off. It's supposed to be May but it definitely doesn't feel like it yet. I hope the sunshine hurries up, because there is nothing better than sitting outside with a book in the sunshine. I have some holiday time booked off from work in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping the temperatures will have picked up by then.

I hope the weather will get better for you!

Nice day out today - had a wander around Waterstone's although didn't buy anything, but did indulge in a coffee and a read.  Keeping up with the cricket via TMS now, and going to sit down with my book for the rest of the afternoon.  :)

I'm glad you had a good day :)

I'm glad you had a lovely day :)

Well done, and that's very nice of you. I like fresh spinach too, it's the only spinach I'll eat (I don't like the frozen or tinned stuff, that you cook on the stove, just the fresh salad leaves.)

I've have got to get out into my garden jungle soon, and tame it a little bit. All my neighbours have been tending theirs for weeks now, but my opportunities have been limited of late. S'okay though, as I love a challenge!  :D

Good luck!

I've been doing a lot of chores this weekend (more than usual) and I've made a nice ovenpasta yesterday. My boyfriend will make some icecream today (stage 1 is in the fridge, stage 2 has to be done later today). I hope to be doing some reading this afternoon.

Making the most of the long weekend - went out for brunch this morning, and had portabello mushrooms on sourdough toast … it was flipping delicious! :D  Accompanied by a reading session, it was a lovely morning.  It also helped that at the table opposite, a lady had her two golden retrievers with her and one was a puppy and so adorable!  She'd bought in a blanket to put on the sofa in the cafe and the puppy was lying on the sofa, and spent the entire time either sleeping or bouncing around saying hello to everyone who came up to say hello to her.  So cute! :D

Hey guys :) Life has been a little crazy lately. My brother's college graduation is next weekend and my family is already full of stress because we're all going to have to be in one room together for an entire day *gasp*. My grandma is making a stink, my mom is coming (aka, mom and stepmom under the same roof on my stepmom's territory o.O) and my cousin is bringing all 5 of his kids who are all under 10. There will be alcohol. 

The big reason I'm nervous for next weekend is because last week my stepmom lost her job. A new company bought hers and fired all of the employees to hire new ones they chose. My dad and stepmom are putting their house up for sale and have announced they are going to move to Phoenix, Arizona by the end of the summer. That's nearly 2,000 miles from me. I'm still a bit shocked at it all. I'm also nervous because it'll be a 5 hour drive for me and I have a bad infection in one of my toes. I'm seeing the doctor again tomorrow in hopes another round of antibiotics help, but if they do they had better help fast. For the first time in nearly 6 months I have a little extra money so if I need to stop for the night halfway I can get a hotel and put my feet up, but I'd rather not use my rare extra money for that. Hopefully it all goes well and all of this worrying is for nothing. 

I did go and buy 2 new books. :D They're sitting happily on the top of my dusty TBR pile. 

Nice to hear from you Abby. :)  Hope your brother's graduation goes well, and that the stress doesn't get too much for any of you.  :empathy: Book buying is always good therapy. :yes:

It's Bank Holiday Monday here, and we're having another lazy day.  Might go out for a meal later on, and the sun is out at the moment (a rare event over the weekend so far), so we might venture out for a walk somewhere.  Other than that I'll probably read my book! :D

Awww, they are lovely Athena!  Such cute little things :D

Thanks Kat :D!

The big reason I'm nervous for next weekend is because last week my stepmom lost her job. A new company bought hers and fired all of the employees to hire new ones they chose. My dad and stepmom are putting their house up for sale and have announced they are going to move to Phoenix, Arizona by the end of the summer. That's nearly 2,000 miles from me. I'm still a bit shocked at it all. I'm also nervous because it'll be a 5 hour drive for me and I have a bad infection in one of my toes. I'm seeing the doctor again tomorrow in hopes another round of antibiotics help, but if they do they had better help fast. For the first time in nearly 6 months I have a little extra money so if I need to stop for the night halfway I can get a hotel and put my feet up, but I'd rather not use my rare extra money for that. Hopefully it all goes well and all of this worrying is for nothing.

I am sorry to hear of your stepmom losing her job and about your toe :(. I hope things will get better for you soon :hug:.

Today is Memorial Day here, so tonight at 20:00 there will be the traditional ceremony and the whole country will be silent for 2 minutes in respect for the fallen and other deceased (at least, those who are not, are normally frowned upon).

I've got a lot of things to do and that I want to do, but I feel quite tired so I don't know how much I'll be able to do.

Today is my last day of freedom, before I start my job.

I have no idea what to expect - it's in my old workplace, and as far as I can tell they're recruiting me on minion-level to pick up the slack due to heavy workload, but nobody has met with me to discuss what my actual work will be specifically in and what exactly they want accomplished in the 5-6 months I'll be there. I'm not even entirely sure I'll be in my old office, though considering I'll be working essentially under my former supervisor (and one of my current best friends :lol: ) it wouldn't make any sense not to put me back in the old office with her. I'm also only getting paid the student help rate of €8.65, versus the €11.20 I got as a contractor and versus the annual, not hourly, rate of pay everyone else in the same department is getting - so all of these things motivate me to not really care all that much. They'll get as good as they give - and so far they don't seem to be giving much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered they came looking for me even if only for minion-status, and work is better than no work, financially (eventually, when I finally get paid) and on my CV, but me returning doesn't seem to be registering on many radars and I'm happy to keep it that way.

I'm a bit nervous about former colleagues asking what I've been up to for the last year - well, I was unemployed all of the time except when I took on a college course which I then dropped out of. Failure much :roll:

Errah sure. On with it and not to mind what people say.

I hope it will go well, Noll :friends0:. It doesn't sound nice that they don't seem to care much :(. I understand how you feel about former collegues asking, I often feel that way too when ex-classmates from uni or old friends or such ask me what I've been doing (they don't normally know I'm disabled).

Well, my friend cares and wants me back working there, she realises the conditions aren't ideal but she figures (and rightly so) the more useful I prove to them the more likely I'll wind up with a real job there, as that's generally how it goes. And some of my former colleagues are lovely, fun, non-judgemental people who won't care one way or another. As for me not being told what I'm doing - the director assumes my friend will sort it out with me, I suppose, and honestly it's just a very easy going environment. The director is pretty laid back, and detached from one-on-one dealings. He's a good guy, he was willing to go a complicated route of payment to get me back on board, and the number of hours/when I started were both up to me. Which, again, indicates lack of caring on their part, but I think it's just super casual also works in my favour coz I asked for a full working week and immediate start and got one.

Good luck Noll!

Athena- the chicks are so cute :wub:

I've been sick the last couple of days, so haven't been getting much reading in and not much posting either so :006:  everyone!

Athena- the chicks are so cute :wub:

I've been sick the last couple of days, so haven't been getting much reading in and not much posting either so :006:  everyone!

Thanks, Anna :)!

Awwww :( I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Oh my Athena, the chicken are the cutest :wub:

Thanks, Iopeanha :)!

EDIT: