Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you enjoy it too :). Which cover do you have? I've seen two different ones available depending on the country.

Green with a creamy/gold-edged tree and some shadowing! Haven't seen any other covers for it myself!

Green with a creamy/gold-edged tree and some shadowing! Haven't seen any other covers for it myself!

That sounds nice :). Mine has the tree too but the background is dark blue. Since blue is my favourite colour though, I'm not complaining :).

I finished Eric Clavie - Benno 1: Benno en de Griezelfabriek and have started Eric Clavie - Benno 2: Benno en het Drakengeld. I'll be finishing off some library loans first before I'll start a book I own (that will be Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void). I don't think I'll be able to read all the library loans before they are due but we'll see how things go.

My reading club meetings are next week, I have to finish both the books: Animal Farm, Orwell, and House of dust and fog, written by Andre Dubus III. I'm not enjoyng the latter.. is it something wrong in me?

Hah, nothing wrong with you Ele...the Dubus is a very disturbing book.  It was difficult for me to read too, but I ended up really loving the book.  His writing is so powerful.  It really stayed with me. 

No, we all like different things. :smile:  Do you mean The House of Sand and Fog? I've seen the movie (loved it), but not read the book.

Yeah, it is quite heavy. I finished it last month, have yet to review it though.

I'm just over 100 pages through The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I'm loving the quirkiness of it. How could I not have got on with this before??  It's a tree book too, so I thought I'd struggle as it's not exactly small, but it's not bad at all.

I haven't seen the film of HoSaF, but I don't think I will.  The book was vivid enough for me!  Not sure I want to see that.  Although I do wonder if the ending is the same. 

Very curious about The Wind Up Bird Chronicle....:)

Finished Marie Lu's Legend, but I am waiting for Athena to read it before I post my review.

Now I am stuck between the sequel to Legend, or a book Noll recommended to me called Under the Poppy by Kathe Koja.  Wickedly terrible, already :)  Thanks Noll :P It's very on the edge.

In any case, will start something new today!  Woohoo!  I love when its time to pick a new read.

I purchased the e-book version of Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames by Peni Jo Renner last night on Amazon for only 0.99!  I've been looking forward to reading this since Rebecca is my 9th great-grandmother :).  Plus I just find the topic interesting.  

Plenty to read on my trip now!

Edited by Peacefield

Now I am stuck between the sequel to Legend, or a book Noll recommended to me called Under the Poppy by Kathe Koja. Wickedly terrible, already :) Thanks Noll :P It's very on the edge.

:lol:

I'm flipping back and forth between a few - when I can read a proper book, I'm reading The Shock Of The Fall, which I'm halfway through, (usually at work) and then when its dark and I need my tablet I usually am reading Jumpstart The World by Catherine Ryan Hyde, which I'm maybe a quarter through, and really enjoying.

This weekend, must tackle some more of A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing.

:lol:

I'm flipping back and forth between a few - when I can read a proper book, I'm reading The Shock Of The Fall, which I'm halfway through, (usually at work) and then when its dark and I need my tablet I usually am reading Jumpstart The World by Catherine Ryan Hyde, which I'm maybe a quarter through, and really enjoying.

This weekend, must tackle some more of A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing.

Glad you are enjoying Jumpstart the World.  I can't believe you are 1/2 way through The Shock of the Fall already.  And good luck with the A Girl is a Half- Formed Thing, I read what you had to say about it, that DJ sounds like a cool person to follow.

I settled on Marie Lu's Prodigy, the second in the Legend trilogy.  I decided I was just too attached to the characters and the world.

Finished the last of my holiday books last night, so I need to decide what to read today.  I put aside House-Bound a couple of weeks ago, so I might pick that one up again, or I might start A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install thanks to Michelle's recommendation.

I'm at Part Three of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and still enjoying it. I've also discovered that I can borrow ebooks from my local library. I will have to read them on my phone instead of my Kindle, but it's still pretty good. :readingtwo:

I've started The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins. Only a little over 600 pages, not the 700 of my previous of his. :). This is a reread also.

Edited by pontalba

Had to give up on Etta and Otto and Russell and James because whenever I picked up the book, I couldn't remember what had happened before :( It's not the book's fault, I was loving it! :( I will definitely read it at some later point when my mind's not mesh. 

Started reading Kirjastonhoitaja Topi Mullo by Janne Nevala. A Finnish book about Topi, a young librarian :smile2: 

Finished Marie Lu's Legend, but I am waiting for Athena to read it before I post my review.

I settled on Marie Lu's Prodigy, the second in the Legend trilogy. I decided I was just too attached to the characters and the world.

I don't mind if you post the review :) (I can just not read it if I don't want to, yet :P). I'm finishing off some library loans first, then I might start Legend, depending on how far we are into the month and how far you are in the books.

I'm glad you're enjoying these books :)

I've totally lost my reading mojo at the moment, so am attempting an Agatha Christie reread. So long since I've read any of hers, I think I'll have completely forgotten the plot and murderer. Nice bit of escapism :D

Awww :(. I hope your mojo comes back soon.

I'm currently reading Do van Ranst - Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4 containing the first four books. I'm over half way, these four books aren't as long in page count as books 5-8 which I read not that long ago. After that I've got a couple more library loans to read, I don't know how many I'll be able to read before I hand them back in.

Had to give up on Etta and Otto and Russell and James because whenever I picked up the book, I couldn't remember what had happened before :( It's not the book's fault, I was loving it! :( I will definitely read it at some later point when my mind's not mesh. 

Started reading Kirjastonhoitaja Topi Mullo by Janne Nevala. A Finnish book about Topi, a young librarian :smile2:

Awwww :(, I hope your mind feels better soon and that you enjoy the next book :).

Awwww :(, I hope your mind feels better soon and that you enjoy the next book :).

Thanks :) My mind's fine with this book :) It's easier to read as it all happens in chronological order and it's not going back and forth in time like my previous read. :) 

Thanks :) My mind's fine with this book :) It's easier to read as it all happens in chronological order and it's not going back and forth in time like my previous read. :)

That's good to hear :).

I have about 60 pages left of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (out of 746!). I plan on finishing it tonight if I can stay awake long enough. :)

Wow, I didn't know it was such a long book! I hope you can finish it soon :).

Wow, I didn't know it was such a long book! I hope you can finish it soon :).

Yeah, it's a mammoth! :D They're kind of like the Harry Potter books...each book is longer than the one before it.  :giggle2: It's a gripping read though, and very difficult to put down. I'm sure you could finish it in about two days. :D

I have about 60 pages left of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (out of 746!). I plan on finishing it tonight if I can stay awake long enough. :)

I'm reading this at the moment.  :P I just started it though.  Already loving it as much as the first two.