Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

I have read it. I'm a big fan of Clare anyway, and I thought it was really good, but I have to say, for me, Walking Home is even better!  I've listened to almost every episode of Ramblings (and it's been on series 30 now), and it's my favourite radio programme, so reading some of the stories behind it, and what goes on off mic was fascinating.  Clare also talks about her dogs too (Archie sometimes accompanies them on Ramblings walks) and how walking improves her health, mentally and physically when she's working on intensive broadcasts like the Olympics.  Sorry, gushing away here, but I absolutely loved it. :smile2:

Glad you enjoyed it Clare .. I didn't like it half as much as My Family and other Animals but .. well .. horses for courses :D xx

Continuing to get on famously with After You with the Pistol and Life After Life :)  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also just started listening to Kate Atkinson's Life After Life .. very intriguing. It's my first Atkinson and I'm impressed .. she's got me hooked already :) 

I'm glad you are enjoying Life After Life. I struggled a bit with it, but loved her other one, Case Histories.

I think the colourful, childlike-illustrated cover of We Need To Talk About Kelvin has fooled me. :lol: This is heavy science reading. Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and all that. :lol:

No I probably wouldn't. I enjoyed the first and the second to some extent which is why I have the series, but after the second book they're just not that memorable. I still have 2 more books to go and I know I'll put off reading them probably for years...or until I get sick of looking at them mocking me on the shelf. That's just my opinion though.

This is it .. I felt less and less inclined to pick them up after the first one and the third one took me ages as it just wasn't grabbing me. I'll leave it then I think .. what a pity though. That first book was brilliant  :blush2: 

I'm glad you are enjoying Life After Life. I struggled a bit with it, but loved her other one, Case Histories.

It is excellently read and sometimes that helps (not that you weren't excellently reading it in your head I'm sure bobbs :D ) I have had to go back a chapter occasionally as got slightly confused but I've got the set of people etched in my head now and it's very intriguing. Without going and looking up my TBR (I'm just not up to it bobbs :blush2: ) .. I think I have Started Early Took My Dog. I've wanted to read her for a long time but her books are tomes!! I took the lazy way out :D 

I'll make a note of Case Histories .. I'm pretty sure I'll want to read more by her :)

Glad you enjoyed it Clare .. I didn't like it half as much as My Family and other Animals but .. well .. horses for courses :D xx

Sorry, probably being completely dense, but do you two mean My Family and other Animals (the Gerald Durrell book) or My Animals and other Family (the Clare Balding book)? FWIW, I much preferred the latter to the former!

... I've now started Half of a Yellow Sun and very much enjoying it so far. I think I'm back on track...!

I have Half of a Yellow Sun on my TBR pile, but have always avoided it because of fear I wouldn't enjoy it (that doesn't explain why I bought it in the first place though :blush2: ). I don't even know what it's about but I can see the cover in my mind.

It is excellently read and sometimes that helps (not that you weren't excellently reading it in your head I'm sure bobbs :D ) I have had to go back a chapter occasionally as got slightly confused but I've got the set of people etched in my head now and it's very intriguing. Without going and looking up my TBR (I'm just not up to it bobbs :blush2: ) .. I think I have Started Early Took My Dog. I've wanted to read her for a long time but her books are tomes!! I took the lazy way out :D 

I'll make a note of Case Histories .. I'm pretty sure I'll want to read more by her :)

In case you aren't aware Started Early, Took My Dog is part of the Jackson Brodie series, of which Case Histories is the first one. I'm not sure how strictly they follow on from each other, and if you need to read them in order though. :dunno:

I'm glad you are enjoying Life After Life. There were some parts that really stuck out for me, but I did find the last half a bit struggle. How far have you read/listened?

I have Half of a Yellow Sun on my TBR pile, but have always avoided it because of fear I wouldn't enjoy it (that doesn't explain why I bought it in the first place though :blush2: ). I don't even know what it's about but I can see the cover in my mind.?

I'm the same.. It's in the Book Box now so hopefully not too long till I get to try it, I loved Tiny Sunbirds Far Away so am thinking it will be something like that.

In case you aren't aware Started Early, Took My Dog is part of the Jackson Brodie series, of which Case Histories is the first one. I'm not sure how strictly they follow on from each other, and if you need to read them in order though. :dunno:

I think you can get away with reading them in any order, as I read One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie #2) a while ago without having read Case Histories, and didn't even realise it was part of a series. But, my mum has read all her books, and says that you get more out of them if you read them in order. :shrug:

I've put We Need To Talk About Kelvin to one side - too much heavy talk about protons, neutrons, and electrons and whatnot, and most of it is going straight over my head. Also, whenever the author mentions Heisenberg, all I think of is Breaking Bad. :D   I need something a bit easier for a Sunday night. I've started Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack.

With some birthday money I have ordered some books from Amazon..

Summertime - Vanessa LaFaye

The Lie - C.L Taylor

and

The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah

Has anyone read any of these?

I'm sure somebody on one of the bookie forum thingies on Facebook had read Nightingale and said it was vg....

Haha .. trust me!! :giggle:  I bet I got it because I liked the title :blush2: .. didn't even read the back! Thanks for letting me know bobbs. Case Histories is even more of a must now :D

I'm glad you are enjoying Life After Life. There were some parts that really stuck out for me, but I did find the last half a bit struggle. How far have you read/listened?

I've got quite a long way now and am finding the last half a struggle :D Really enjoyed the beginning .. but am getting confused now and also slightly bored. I liked it best when all the family were in the story.

I've got quite a long way now and am finding the last half a struggle :D Really enjoyed the beginning .. but am getting confused now and also slightly bored. I liked it best when all the family were in the story.

Yeah, I pretty much switched off in the last quarter of the book. :blush2: