Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

Finished Lamentation by C.J. Sansom.....great! 

Review over on my thread.

About 25% through No Time For Goodbye by Lindwood Barclay.  Very good.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally finished Candide. Such a quirky little read. :) I've acquired four books over the past two days, with more on the way.  :blush2: Details will be posted in my thread.

For now, I'll be continuing on with The Mangle Street Murders.

I'm currently reading John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 12: The Royal Ranger, which takes place many years after the other books. I'm really enjoying it so far :). However, due to reading so many of these books recently, I am also looking forward to read something different after finishing this one. I have other library loans to get to, so it will be one of those.

That's the one and only Deaver I've read so far - thought it was very good.  Enjoy!  :smile:

I've now read 184 pages and it's going good. I'm getting a bit of a Stephen King vibe from it.

It's only a standalone so shouldn't be compared to the Lincoln Rhymes -series, but I'd say you might like that one :) Oh wait, what am I saying. Suggesting another book series to the man who's already in rehab for that? :unsure:

:giggle2:

Finished The Shrinking Man.  Now trying to decide what to read next :unsure:

Making Men: Five Steps to Growing Up? :shrug::D

I started Only Ever Yours and Max Hastings Inferno: the World at War (1939-1945).

Loved the first one, and I have the second on my TBR pile (at least I think I do, I know I have a couple by him to read).

I finished The Curse of the House of Foskett this morning (while waiting for my work PC to boot up :P ). Top book, but not sure if I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Next up for me is We Need To Talk About Kelvin by Marcus Chown, selected by the book jar. Once I've finished that, I think I will move on to Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack.

I've now moved on to The song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde.

I look forward to your thoughts on this. :)

I finished The Curse of the House of Foskett this morning (while waiting for my work PC to boot up :P ). Top book, but not sure if I enjoyed it as much as the first one.

Interesting! Will you continue on with the third book? (Being published next week.)

I read a few dozen pages of The Mangle Street Murders today. I'm about to go to bed and see how much more I can read before I fall asleep (prediction: not much).

I finished Kristin Hannah's 'On Mystic Lake', it was pretty good but not overly memorable like her more recent books.

The Book Box have me 'I Am Pilgrim' but I'm not sure it's going to be my thing so will read it alongside 'The Coldest Girl in Coldtown' which is the BB's latest offering. It's been on my TBR pile for a long while and for whatever reason I haven't felt the urge to pick it up, I suppose now I'll find out whether it's worthy the effort or not.

Finished Anna Karenina today after two weeks of fairly solid reading, especially in the past four of five days.  It's only about two-thirds the length of War and Peace, but actually felt longer.  That suggests I didn't enjoy it, which couldn't be further from the truth, but rather I found it more challenging.  There were sections of longeurs, when Tolstoy started ruminating about Russian agriculture or various moral issues, but the characters themselves were amongst the most intriguing and realistic of nineteenth century literature - although the silly levels of jealousy did beome rather irritating on occasions.

Have now started Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg, my book group's choice for this month.

Edited by willoyd

Finally finished reading Syren by Angie Sage took forever I just couldn't get into it. I've now moved on to The song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde.

I read Magyk, Flyte and Physik but didn't (or haven't) got any further. Out of those I thought the first one was best so the others .. though good .. were slightly disappointing. Would you recommend any of the subsequent books?

Finally finished Eminent Victorians and Hippy Dinners and have gone on to read the second of the Mortdecai novels .. After You With the Pistol. It's just what I need at the moment .. it's quite short, it's funny and I'm not having to work too hard  :blush2:  

Interesting! Will you continue on with the third book? (Being published next week.)

Most definitely, but I shall wait a while before I buy it as it will probably come down in price.

The Book Box have me 'I Am Pilgrim' but I'm not sure it's going to be my thing so will read it alongside 'The Coldest Girl in Coldtown' which is the BB's latest offering.

I loved I Am Pilgrim. It gripped me from the start, so hopefully you will know pretty soon whether you like it or not.

I read Magyk, Flyte and Physik but didn't (or haven't) got any further. Out of those I thought the first one was best so the others .. though good .. were slightly disappointing. Would you recommend any of the subsequent books?

I really liked the first one, but I haven't read any of the other ones. My sister owns some of them so I'll have to ask her, or maybe look at the library :).

I'm currently reading Brian Azzarello, Jim Lee and Scott Williams - Superman: For Tomorrow 1-2: Absolute Superman For Tomorrow (Dutch) which is the first Superman comic (bindup) I've ever read. I like it but it's quite confusing, jumping back and forth in time a lot. It's enjoyable enough to keep going but I do feel a bit confused.

I've put my non-fiction book to one side for now and have just started Grayson Perry: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Girl by Wendy Jones.  I didn't actually realise it was a biography rather than an autobiography, but it is official (as in Grayson dictated it to the author) so that's not so bad.  I really want to read Perry's Playing to the Gallery but I'm hanging on for the paperback.  :)

I've almost finished Walking Home and I'm absolutely loving it! Going to be sad when I've finished.

Having said that, Resistance is Futile by Jenny T. Colgan arrived on my Kindle yesterday and I can't wait to start it. Going to have an indulgent reading weekend, so will be finding cosy places to curl up with my books and these two will be like having my cake and eating it. :yes:

I've started Stephen King's The Green Mile. I've only read the Introduction and Foreword, but his wonderfully conversational style and self-deprecating manner has totally captured me.

Just finished Walking Home.  Bloomin' lovely book.  Tears and laughter, and plenty of inspiration.

I have My Family and Other Animals on my TBR shelf, I'm waiting for the Book Box to spew it out for me to read.. Have you read it? If I like it I will get Walking Home. :)

Getting on well with Kyril Bonfiglioli's After You With the Pistol :D Also just started listening to Kate Atkinson's Life After Life .. very intriguing. It's my first Atkinson and I'm impressed .. she's got me hooked already :) 

I have My Family and Other Animals on my TBR shelf, I'm waiting for the Book Box to spew it out for me to read.. Have you read it? If I like it I will get Walking Home. :)

I have read it. I'm a big fan of Clare anyway, and I thought it was really good, but I have to say, for me, Walking Home is even better!  I've listened to almost every episode of Ramblings (and it's been on series 30 now), and it's my favourite radio programme, so reading some of the stories behind it, and what goes on off mic was fascinating.  Clare also talks about her dogs too (Archie sometimes accompanies them on Ramblings walks) and how walking improves her health, mentally and physically when she's working on intensive broadcasts like the Olympics.  Sorry, gushing away here, but I absolutely loved it. :smile2:

Forgot to say yesterday that I stopped off at the bookshop and came across another book illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempé, so I had to buy it.  It's called Catherine Certitude by Patrick Mondiano (who won the Nobel prize for literature last year) - I have no idea what it's about but I'll read anything that has Sempé illustrations!

This morning, I'm starting Resistance is Futile by Jenny T. Colgan and I'm so excited I could burst!  It looks brilliant. :D

Finally finished Eminent Victorians and Hippy Dinners and have gone on to read the second of the Mortdecai novels .. After You With the Pistol. It's just what I need at the moment .. it's quite short, it's funny and I'm not having to work too hard  :blush2:  

No I probably wouldn't. I enjoyed the first and the second to some extent which is why I have the series, but after the second book they're just not that memorable. I still have 2 more books to go and I know I'll put off reading them probably for years...or until I get sick of looking at them mocking me on the shelf. That's just my opinion though.