Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist last night, and have picked up Going to Sea in a Sieve again today.

Have just pre-ordered Resistance is Futile by Jenny T. Colgan because how could I resist this:

"Take the square root of a love story, multiply by an awkward mathematician, add on extra-terrestrial life forms and cringe-worthy close encounters, and what you'll get is Resistance is Futile - a whirlwind adventure by Sunday Times bestselling author Jenny Colgan."

Then straight onto I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes..

I loved this book, and will most definitely read it again. I hope you enjoy it. :boogie:

I've just finished The Mangle Street Murders and it was fantastic. So glad bobblybear bullied* me into buying the sequel!

Wish I could start it straightaway but have some library loans that need to go back. Hmph.

*informed me it was the daily deal and let me do the rest ;)

:giggle2: Glad to be of assistance. I've yet to start the sequel, but it will be my next read after I finish Origins. The next in the series is out in early June, so that's another one to look forward to. :D

I'm on 42% of The Girl on the Train for Book Club. I have loads of reading time at the moment so I'm racing through it! :)

Edit: I've read some of it on trains!!

Perfect, perfect, perfect :D I thought when I was reading it .. I should be on a train! :D

Plodding on very slowly with Eminent Victorians by Lytton Strachey .. he definitely didn't have me in mind as his reader  :D  :blush2: In contrast .. galloping on with Hippy Dinners by Abbie Ross :) 

Sadly not. :)

Ah, that's a shame :( 

I'm on 42% of The Girl on the Train for Book Club. I have loads of reading time at the moment so I'm racing through it! :)

Edit: I've read some of it on trains!!

What's with you and me and the trains? Choo choo :lol: 

I started reading Whispers and Lies by Joy Fielding. Mojo seems to have taken to it, hurrah! 

Have just pre-ordered Resistance is Futile by Jenny T. Colgan because how could I resist this:

"Take the square root of a love story, multiply by an awkward mathematician, add on extra-terrestrial life forms and cringe-worthy close encounters, and what you'll get is Resistance is Futile - a whirlwind adventure by Sunday Times bestselling author Jenny Colgan."[/font]

That sounds great! I shall look it up :).

I'm on page 90 out of ~350 of Marie Lu - Legend 3: Champion. I'm enjoying it so far. After I finish this, I will read my library loans, starting with some of the Ranger's Apprentice books I've borrowed.

I'm on page 90 out of ~350 of Marie Lu - Legend 3: Champion. I'm enjoying it so far.

I am glad you are enjoying it- one of us should :P

If Marie Lu's Prodigy doesn't pick up soon, I will take up Ken Follett's World Without End, which I started last month, I will read that til the trip.  Although I am very tempted to just start Only Ever Yours now :blush2: I have all these pretty new books, just sitting on my Kindle...

Finished the second Internment Chronicles book by Lauren DeStefano, Burning Kingdoms. I.... kinda loved it. I still think the writing is clunky and the characters weirdly- or under-developed, but I kinda loved the story.

Also finished The Quiet Earth by Craig Harrison... not too sure about it. Strange mix of pseudo-scientific stuff interspered with utterly emotionless depictions of dramatic recollections, set against a last-man-on-earth backdrop. I didn't feel the elements gelled all that well, though the writing is terrific. Yeah, not sure. Going to rewatch the film shortly (love the film!)

Next up book-wise for me is Rise Of The Lich King.... yes, a WoW book. I've read it before, even though I don't play WoW, because a friend of mine recommended it to me (and I loved it). However, since I read it (a few years ago) I have started playing Hearthstone, which features a characters and creatures from the WoW world, and I want to read it again to give the characters I'm familiar with in Hearthstone some context.

I finished Going to Sea in a Sieve last night, and it was very, very enjoyable, although I know my book group would hate it, as they don't like swearing, and there is quite a bit in there! :D

Need to catch up with Middlemarch next, and then I've got a couple of the Elm Creek Quilt books from the library for the next couple of weeks, so will probably try those afterwards.

I'm still about 50% through Origins. It's dragging on a bit. I've pulled my next book out of the book jar and it's Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. I got partway through this a couple of years back, and just couldn't go through with it. I'll finish it this time around. My book jar seems to be pretty good at giving me books that I've been avoiding. :D

I also want to make a start of The Curse of the House of Foskett.

I've pulled my next book out of the book jar and it's Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. I got partway through this a couple of years back, and just couldn't go through with it. I'll finish it this time around. My book jar seems to be pretty good at giving me books that I've been avoiding. :D

I hope you enjoy it more this time around :).

I'm making good progress in Marie Lu - Legend 3: Champion and I hope to finish it later today, if I feel up for doing some reading.

Read the two chapters of Middlemarch that are missing from my audio book (which iTunes have now refunded me for, since it's supposed to be an unabridged version), so I've now got to read book five to catch up before Sunday.  I'm on the case…. :yes:

I stopped off in my local bookshop for the first time in ages and this book jumped out at me:

post-4870-0-63123200-1432227501_thumb.jpg

I've not heard of the author or the book before, but I read the back cover and thought I'd give it a go.  Read about 30 pages with my coffee this afternoon, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. :)

I am not sure if it is the excitement of the trip (5 days to go!) or if it is the book, but I am having the hardest time reading Marie Lu's second novel in the Legend trilogy.

Just got back from a few days doing the family bit in South Wales.  The drag of the long haul (6 hours driving each way) was hugely alleviated by listening to Carol Boyd reading South Riding.  She has to be my favourite book reader, bringing each and every book she reads fully alive - almost as good as reading for oneself.  One of the few readers where I select the reader rather than the book (although this was a happy coincidence where I really wanted to listen to both reader and book)!  Even with the long hours in the car, have still about a third of the book to go, but am really looking forward to the rest. It's rather more thoughtful, with more internal monologues, than I expected, but none the worse for that.

Also made some progress on Anna Karenina - now about 40% (330/815 pages) of the way through.  Very easy reading to start with, it's got slightly harder and more philosophical in the past hundred pages.

Edited by willoyd

Also made some progress on Anna Karenina - now about 40% (330/815 pages) of the way through.  Very easy reading to start with, it's got slightly harder and more philosophical in the past hundred pages.

I'm looking forward to your review. :)

Currently reading Last Chance To See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine! :D

Cool! I have this on my TBR pile. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

I've read a little more of The Mangle Street Murders. The interactions between the main characters have me chuckling out loud.

I hope you enjoy it more this time around :).

No such luck. I'm giving up on it. :doh:  I'm only 30% through it, and I just can't force myself to read any more.

I've read a little more of The Mangle Street Murders. The interactions between the main characters have me chuckling out loud.

They are both very well written characters, aren't they? I think Sidney Grice is so rude, but I just can't wait to hear what he has to say next. :giggle2:

I'm also giving up on Origins by Randolphe Lalonde. :blush2:  That's two I've given up on in a row. :doh: But I just can't force myself to persevere any longer.

On a happier note, I have started The Curse of the House of Foskett. :boogie:

I've started The Darkest Part Of The Forest by Holly Black, and so far I'm loving it more than anything else she's done, so fingers crossed it stays good!

Oh that's good to hear- I really want to read it- its on the short list for when I get home.