Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

I must look this up :D! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :).

P.S. You might also like Yahtzee Croshaw - Mogworld, another fantasy / gaming type book :). Not that I'd want to encourage you to buy more or anything :P, but I thought Mogworld was really good and funny too.

Oh my god DEFINITELY, Yahtzee is hilarious, some of his game reviews are total classics. Had no idea he had written books... I must read them all! Thanks for the recommendation *goes off to find them*

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazon have got some Kindle Deals for £0.99.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michale Chabon

What a bargainous haul! :smile2: TAAoKaC is excellent, I really  hope you enjoy it! :smile2: 

I'm so glad you enjoyed this - it's an excellent book

:):yes:

You may have seen it already but there is a reading circle about it.

Yup, I've just posted on it today. It's a very long thread, with lots of discussion.  :smile:  I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't read the book back then, when the discussion was 'live'.

What a bargainous haul! :smile2: TAAoKaC is excellent, I really  hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

It has many mixed reviews, but then again, most award winning novels do. And for £0.99 it's a no-brainer. :D

Started Marie Lu's Legend last night, 20% in.  Liked it from the first few pages of the sample!  Might actually go for all 3 if I get into it.

I'm about halfway through Critical Failures by Robert Bevan, another in the 'gaming fantasy' genre I've dubbed. It's so crass that even I, of unashamedly crass and politically incorrect humor, am occasionally feeling a little guilty for laughing... but my god its so funny. And very well written.

I also received a book in the post, from a Facebook swap group derived from the book club one of my favourite radio DJs has on there. It's called A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing, and it's a strange novel written in an experimental, almost stream-of-consciousness style that deals with some pretty heavy topics across the span of 20 or so years in the life of an Irish girl. I've heard it's super challenging, but rewarding, and it's winning a bunch of awards.

I started The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas yesterday. Haven't had a huge amount of time for reading lately so I'm hoping to find some space in my schedule this afternoon.

It's a quick read Brian, but very powerful I thought. :(

I've just finished On The Beach. Such a great read. :readingtwo:

I really enjoyed it too :).

Oh my god DEFINITELY, Yahtzee is hilarious, some of his game reviews are total classics. Had no idea he had written books... I must read them all! Thanks for the recommendation *goes off to find them*

I've read Mogworld and Jam and I thought both were hilarious. I hope you enjoy them :D!!

Started Marie Lu's Legend last night, 20% in.  Liked it from the first few pages of the sample!  Might actually go for all 3 if I get into it.

I hope you enjoy this :). I'll be reading it a bit later in the month. I've got the other two as well, so if you do decide to read the other two, let me know and I'll try to read them before we meet. But of course no pressure, if you don't like the first one don't feel like you have to read the other two. In that case I'll just wait until after we met, to read the other two, that way I don't accidentally spoil something. 

I finished Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain last night.  There's a prequel The First Lie, but I'm not sure if I'll read that.  Has anyone here read it?

I haven't read either of those two books yet, I'm sorry (I do own them). I really like Diane Chamberlain's books so I think I will like them when I get around to reading them.

I haven't started a new book yet, as I'm still working on my reviews for the books I read in the past week. But once that's done, I will be starting the next library read, that I was supposed to read during the read-a-thon (a book in the HOI series by Francine Oomen).

My reading club meetings are next week, I have to finish both the books: Animal Farm, Orwell, and House of dust and fog, written by Andre Dubus III. I'm not enjoyng the latter.. is it something wrong in me?

No, we all like different things. :smile:  Do you mean The House of Sand and Fog? I've seen the movie (loved it), but not read the book.

I'm about halfway through The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. Powerful one this one - think I will need something lighter next!

Yeah, it is quite heavy. I finished it last month, have yet to review it though.

I'm just over 100 pages through The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I'm loving the quirkiness of it. How could I not have got on with this before??  It's a tree book too, so I thought I'd struggle as it's not exactly small, but it's not bad at all.

I finished Darkfever over the weekend and have downloaded The Last Dragonslayer: The Chronicles of Kazam, book 1 to my Kindle app.  I believe this is the first ebook I've read and it feels weird!  I'm going on vacation on Saturday though and I thought maybe I would make use of my iPad and use it to read on instead of everything else I do.  Not quite sure how I feel about traveling without an actual book in my bag, but I'll get used to it ;)

Thanks to Muggle for bringing this series to my attention!  I can't wait to dive in!

I finished Darkfever over the weekend and have downloaded The Last Dragonslayer: The Chronicles of Kazam, book 1 to my Kindle app.  I believe this is the first ebook I've read and it feels weird!  I'm going on vacation on Saturday though and I thought maybe I would make use of my iPad and use it to read on instead of everything else I do.  Not quite sure how I feel about traveling without an actual book in my bag, but I'll get used to it ;)

Thanks to Muggle for bringing this series to my attention!  I can't wait to dive in!

Both Chesilbeach and I have started the Chronicles of Kazam series by Jasper Fforde.....welcome aboard. :)

I use the library for reading most of my books. It is so easy to download an e-book to my kindle from the library and I can do it any time of the day. It makes it nice when I want a book at, say 10:00 pm that I simply download it to my kindle. And it is free. :)

I hope you enjoy this :). I'll be reading it a bit later in the month. I've got the other two as well, so if you do decide to read the other two, let me know and I'll try to read them before we meet. But of course no pressure, if you don't like the first one don't feel like you have to read the other two. In that case I'll just wait until after we met, to read the other two, that way I don't accidentally spoil something. 

I should have it finished today or tomorrow, I am enjoying it, but I would have to read the end before deciding to take on the whole trilogy.  I just saw a graphic novel for Lengend too!

Both Chesilbeach and I have started the Chronicles of Kazam series by Jasper Fforde.....welcome aboard. :)

I use the library for reading most of my books. It is so easy to download an e-book to my kindle from the library and I can do it any time of the day. It makes it nice when I want a book at, say 10:00 pm that I simply download it to my kindle. And it is free. :)

Thanks, Muggle and Chesil!  :D

You know I never thought of the library for ebooks, but that's a great idea.  Wow, I sound like I've been living under a rock! LOL

Edited by Peacefield

Thanks, Muggle and Chesil!  :D

You know I never thought of the library for ebooks, but that's a great idea.  Wow, I sound like I've been living under a rock! LOL

YTD, I have downloaded approx. 19 E-books from the library to my kindle. In the U.S. it is a great way to read at no cost. :) There are some of the current popular books that you have to wait for but I just put them on a hold list at the library while I go on to another book that is available. For example, my library has about 6 - 9 Jasper Fforde books and most are available.

I'm about halfway through The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. Powerful one this one - think I will need something lighter next!

I just got sent this in the post today, been wanting to read it for ages! I love the cover so much.

I finished Critical Failures by Robert Bevan, absolutely loved it, but it's definitely not for the easily offended.

Started A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing by Eimear McBride (though I may put this on hold til the weekend when I'm awake enough to sit down and give it a proper go).

I hope you enjoy it, and that's true, it is a 'heavy' book / subject. I really liked the book when I read it last year. 

I just got sent this in the post today, been wanting to read it for ages! I love the cover so much.

I hope you enjoy it too :). Which cover do you have? I've seen two different ones available depending on the country.

I should have it finished today or tomorrow, I am enjoying it, but I would have to read the end before deciding to take on the whole trilogy. I just saw a graphic novel for Lengend too!

I'm glad you're enjoying it :). I didn't know there was a graphic novel.

I finished Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 4: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Eerste Zoen? and my next library loan to read is Eric Clavie - Benno 1: Benno en de Griezelfabriek (I was meant to read it for the read-a-thon but I didn't get around to it).