'Cauldstane' by Linda Gillard (supernatural too)

Inver

Finally finished. I did take a while to read this one, can't pinpoint why, but I did take a break from it half way through. However once I settled down to it again I enjoyed the second half slightly more than the first. Scottish castle, family curse, romance, unexplained deaths to family members and a ghost writer who comes to write the Laird of Cauldstane memoirs. Things unfold along the way for Jenny but she is troubled by the uneasy presence but can't pinpoint why.. something is determined to make her feel this way but why? I loved the castle and it stood out as a character in its own right...not the first castle she has made a main one of the main characters...well done again Linda. Definitely gives it some atmosphere and I enjoyed imagining what it looked like

I am open minded about the spiritual side of things so it made me uneasy at times. It was a good enough read but I have to say not my favourite of Linda's book, I have enjoyed others more.

4/5

• 6 months later...

I read this earlier this year and really enjoyed it, just the right amount of spooky although I thought the ending felt a bit rushed and was a bit of an anti-climax.  I did like the way she made the castle a character in it's own right, and loved Sholto, plus of course the hunky Alex ;)