Need something special for my Readers Block

Hi I'm a pretty long time member, haven't been on as much lately, usually turn to Goodreads but when I have a special question, I know just where to turn :)

For those who don't know, readers block is when it's hard to read, even when you force yourself, you simply can't retain anything you've just read. I have ADD and I think it's most common for others with ADD. Anyways for passionate readers like myself, this can be like torture. I hear everyone has their own home remedy to cure it, some go back and read their favorite books to help remind them why they fell in love with reading in the first place. What helps me is reading shorter novels.. I actually just read a really good one called "Kill Whitey" by Brian Keene. It was awesome yet only 196 pages lol. By any chance, can anyone recommend some good yet short novels?  

I love the horror-thriller genre. Some favorite authors of mine are Kevin O'Brien, Tom Piccirrilli, Brian Keene, anything similar would do. thank you

Edited by UnderTheDome40

I'd recommend short stories. I remember reading some short horror and thriller stories by several authors, but using the name of Alfred Hitchcock. This is the result of a Goodreads search, there're some good names: http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=alfred+hitchcock

P.S.: Looking in front of me, I found Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe; I think it's a fairly better recommendation. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a short novel, but an iconic one; I'm yet to read it.

Edited by Sousa

Ya, I can recommend Sean Platt and David Wright's Yesterday's Gone serial if you like horror, you can get Part 1 for free on Amazon... there are 6 "episodes" or chapters in Part 1, each episode is about 90-100 pages. 

Also, any short stories by Hugh Howey, including Glitch and The Walk Up Nameless Ridge, both of those are REALLY short, Glitch is only a few pages. 

Wolf Skin, The Caretaker and The Dark Age by Jason Gurley were all good, 29- 40 pages.You can also try the short stories on

Andy Weir's website (The Martian), they are quite short as well.

http://www.galactanet.com/writing.html

Scroll down to "One Off's", they begin with The Egg.

A short story I have not read yet, that is billed as a "Psychological serial killer thriller" is called Stick Man by Dennis Yates, it is 45 pages.

Good luck!

I read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales of Terror recently and really enjoyed it. Jekyll and Hyde is a bit longer but the other two stories included ('Olalla' and 'The Body Snatcher') are really very short, and really good atmospheric horrors  :smile:

I also read a book called The Court Painter's Apprentice which had a psychological horror twist. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as well written as the above if I'm honest but it was an easy read and it was interesting. I have a large print edition which is 178 pages long, I'd imagine normal print would be about half that. 

Good luck getting out of your readers block!  

Hey, UndertheDome! I have ADD too, but gladly for me reading isn't as much of a problem (watching TV though or playing video games or following conversations much more so). Short stories or novellas might be good for you, or perhaps re-reading a childhood favourite? I don't read much horror / thrillers though and I don't know the authors you mentioned so I don't really have any recommendations I can think of at the moment :blush2:.

You don't have to force yourself to do so just because it is one of your hobby before. Maybe you only need someone or something for you to get motivated to clearly read back. Start slowly or I should recommend you to do writing first, anything you think about then go with the reading then and try to retain it as much as you your mind can. Wish my advice helps.

You could try having a look at http://www.quickreads.org.uk- these are mainly designed to help people who struggle with reading for whatever reason, but are written by big name authors and are all short books.  I read Quantum of Tweed by Conn Iggulden a few years back and really enjoyed it.  I think they publish about half a dozen every year, and cover a wide range of genres, so you should find something to your taste there :)

Hey, UndertheDome! I have ADD too, but gladly for me reading isn't as much of a problem (watching TV though or playing video games or following conversations much more so). Short stories or novellas might be good for you, or perhaps re-reading a childhood favourite? I don't read much horror / thrillers though and I don't know the authors you mentioned so I don't really have any recommendations I can think of at the moment :blush2:.

Hey Athena! I don't know if you remember me but its sort of ironic to hear from you, as I thought of you when writing this. I remember you for always having the exact same taste in books as me lol. Very good advice btw, thank you a bunch :)

I did end up choosing a new novel that's been on my TRL for awhile called Desert Places by Blake Crouch. It's not overly short (300 pg) so hopefully it's an easy read and I just get sucked in 

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Hey Athena! I don't know if you remember me but its sort of ironic to hear from you, as I thought of you when writing this. I remember you for always having the exact same taste in books as me lol. Very good advice btw, thank you a bunch :)

I did end up choosing a new novel that's been on my TRL for awhile called Desert Places by Blake Crouch. It's not overly short (300 pg) so hopefully it's an easy read and I just get sucked in

I hope you enjoy it :)!